UF vs Edinburgh (Royal Dick)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beepboppinaround

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feeling very torn between these 2 options. I have no in-state school, and the tuition is pretty comparable. I love the idea of living abroad. However, Florida has always been my favorite program. FYI, distance is not the issue here. My biggest fear is that it would be detrimental to my career if I did not choose UF. I hate to admit it, but I feel like there's still a bias in the field about US schools. Could anyone lend me any advice? I have technically accepted my seat at UF while still considering University of Edinburgh as an option. I have visited both campuses, and I have to say I was more impressed with Edinburgh as a school and city. My interests are emergency and critical care, small animal, companion exotics, and pathology. I don't want to consider finances as an option in this discussion if we can help it (crazy right lol).

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same exact concerns as you did! I just made the decision to attend Dublin over Iowa, and I think it’s the right one! I work at Cornell right now, so I talked to a ton of the vets on staff about there opinions on this. And I found out a ton of them went to vet school abroad. The current intern at Cornell ambulatory just graduated from Dublin, I have friends at UCdavis who work with residents who went to vet school in Europe. Do what makes you happy, not what you think everyone else wants you to do. I’ll tell you what everyone told me “you’ll be a hirable vet no matter where you go, as long as you yourself are a great vet.” And remember while becoming a veterinarian is you main goal in life right now, it’s not your whole life. Live your life to the fullest and have no regrets. From what I could tell, you really want to go to Edinburg. So go!!

Reactions: 1 user