UF vs Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dirty Bump.

Members don't see this ad.

I am invading your post with a purely UM related question... since my alma mater (UF) won't throw me a freakin bone.

I am waitlisted at both UM campuses and I was wondering what they think of a Letter of Interest, post-interview. Also, when could I expect to see some waitlist movement? Thanks everyone!

I feel you on our alma mater showing no love.

Anyways, I will suggest that you send Miami an update letter. They are receptive to new information, and when I was there, Hinkley said that he expected a lot of movement in the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you on our alma mater showing no love.

Anyways, I will suggest that you send Miami an update letter. They are receptive to new information, and when I was there, Hinkley said that he expected a lot of movement in the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone! I am hoping for an interview!

Good luck to everyone! I am hoping for an interview!

Rather than hoping for an interview, I would just try to enjoy the ACCEPTANCE that you have...But that's just me:D

I am invading your post with a purely UM related question... since my alma mater (UF) won't throw me a freakin bone.

I am waitlisted at both UM campuses and I was wondering what they think of a Letter of Interest, post-interview. Also, when could I expect to see some waitlist movement? Thanks everyone!

Yeah i remember Dr Hinkley saying that there's tons of waitlist movement. So i'm sure sending an LOI could only be helpful.

Yeah i remember Dr Hinkley saying that there's tons of waitlist movement. So i'm sure sending an LOI could only be helpful.

I was talking to a family friend and they were telling me UF has the highest number of people who are taken off the waitlist of any Fl. school, is that true???

Has anyone else heard this?

I was talking to a family friend and they were telling me UF has the highest number of people who are taken off the waitlist of any Fl. school, is that true???

I can't remember the statistics exactly, but the Dean of Admissions said during the interview that about 2/3 of those who get interviewed at UF are accepted, and (this was a pleasant shocker, if I remember correctly) 90% of those interviewed get accepted to a medical school (whether UF or not).

This seems strange to me too, but I heard something along those lines as well...something like they have one of the highest number of students that turn down acceptances. Strange but supposedly true...maybe its the thought of gainesville for four years of graduate school lol?

I looked this up in USNews. I just looked at in-state since both schools favor in-state (and those of us chatting about this are in FLA). In 2005, Miami accepted 221 for 135 spots(61% of accepted matriculated). In the same year, Florida accepted 181 for 121 spots (67%).

FWIW, FSU accepted 193 per 100 matriculants (52% went there).
USF accepted 194 for 113 in-state spots (58%).

On the DO side, Nova accepted 142 for 122 in-state spots (an amazing 86%).
Lake Erie Bradenton didn't have their stats separate from the main campus.

I looked this up in USNews. I just looked at in-state since both schools favor in-state (and those of us chatting about this are in FLA). In 2005, Miami accepted 221 for 135 spots(61% of accepted matriculated). In the same year, Florida accepted 181 for 121 spots (67%).

FWIW, FSU accepted 193 per 100 matriculants (52% went there).
USF accepted 194 for 113 in-state spots (58%).

On the DO side, Nova accepted 142 for 122 in-state spots (an amazing 86%).
Lake Erie Bradenton didn't have their stats separate from the main campus.

So does this mean that the schools are accepting more applicants than they have seats for or is that the number accepted including those that were accepted after being waitlisted?

This seems strange to me too, but I heard something along those lines as well...something like they have one of the highest number of students that turn down acceptances. Strange but supposedly true...maybe its the thought of gainesville for four years of graduate school lol?

UFCOM is known for being an ivy-chaser. They'll accept many Florida residents who went to top schools, many whom are likely to end up in 'better' places.

So does this mean that the schools are accepting more applicants than they have seats for or is that the number accepted including those that were accepted after being waitlisted?

Yes schools will accept more applicants than they have seats for, knowing that many will decline the acceptance for another school.

I can't remember the statistics exactly, but the Dean of Admissions said during the interview that about 2/3 of those who get interviewed at UF are accepted, and (this was a pleasant shocker, if I remember correctly) 90% of those interviewed get accepted to a medical school (whether UF or not).

Were you there interviewing this past Friday?... I also heard the same statisitics...the most comforting thing about those statistics is that there's probably a high % of the 1/3 who don't eventually get accepted that withdraw after getting in somewhere else before the heavy March-April waitlist movement

Members don't see this ad :)
UFCOM is known for being an ivy-chaser. They'll accept many Florida residents who went to top schools, many whom are likely to end up in 'better' places.

This is what I was thinking and was telling the fam. friend when he told me this.

My friend at UF COM tells me that half the class is UF alumni from undergrad and the other half is mostly people who went to higher tier colleges outside of the state like the IVY league and Duke or certain colleges in Chicago such as UChicago

Were you there interviewing this past Friday?... I also heard the same statisitics...the most comforting thing about those statistics is that there's probably a high % of the 1/3 who don't eventually get accepted that withdraw after getting in somewhere else before the heavy March-April waitlist movement

I interviewed last year - that's when I heard it.

Isn't it true that UF generally waitlists a higher percentage of interviewees than other schools?

I think UF waitlists a large portion of their applicants, especially many UF students. It's torture and kind of funny how most will end up at the school in the end anyways after all the other upper-crust students withdraw (according to Gessner, over 66.3%). A few of my buddies that are waiting (eeeerrr, on "hold") with me even have siblings and parents who attend/have attended UFCOM. Seems like they should be shoe-ins...Oh, and also, I can agree with the one poster a few comments up about UF trying to attract Ivy Leaguers. At my interview, there were lots of them. They must possess magical qualities. :laugh:

I think UF waitlists a large portion of their applicants, especially many UF students. It's torture and kind of funny how most will end up at the school in the end anyways after all the other upper-crust students withdraw (according to Gessner, over 66.3%). A few of my buddies that are waiting (eeeerrr, on "hold") with me even have siblings and parents who attend/have attended UFCOM. Seems like they should be shoe-ins...Oh, and also, I can agree with the one poster a few comments up about UF trying to attract Ivy Leaguers. At my interview, there were lots of them. They must possess magical qualities. :laugh:

They definitely try to attract FL residents who graduated at Ivy's. Near the end of the season like in a few months, they will have give many invites and roughly half of those will be waitlisted. Right now they are still trying to interview the Ivy-type applicants and some FL applicants, but around late Feb to March they will start interviewing a lot and mainly FL applicants (Probably because of a lot of withdrawals from the Ivy applicants).

As a UF undergrad I thought it would be funny to go on a tour and meet the med students, because I already had some classes there and have been all throughout Shands. Also, I already know many of the med students so it would seem really natural to hang out with them as an interviewee.

Isn't it true that UF generally waitlists a higher percentage of interviewees than other schools?

Yeah but you are missing the point.

So UF has 134 seats right??? So if there are that many seats and say just for hypothetical purposes, 60% of the people are people who were originally waitlisted. Now at USF its usually more like 50% of the 120 that make up the final class that original waitlistees.

My question was whether something along these lines was the truth of the matter because I found it odd that UF had such high waitlist movement. That said, with what others have said about the IVY leaguers and all, I guess it is not surprising that UF has such high waitlist movement.

BTW I don't think UF accepts only IVY leaguers and OOS attendees before state school people. Its just that a lot of time the state school undergrads better have been really competitive to get an acceptance right away.

BTW I don't think UF accepts only IVY leaguers and OOS attendees before state school people. Its just that a lot of time the state school undergrads better have been really competitive to get an acceptance right away.

Like you said, I don't think that it is some kind of preference that they have for out of state educated FL residents. I think it is that some of the very competitive out-of-state educated undergrads that are FL residents will apply to UF and might not apply to FSU or USF. So it could just be that the educational make up of the FL applicants that apply to UF include a lot of Ivy leaguers and such.

Also, with UCF offering free rides to 40 some students next year, I wouldn't doubt that they attract alot of very competitive FL applicants that got their education outside of FL.

Like you said, I don't think that it is some kind of preference that they have for out of state educated FL residents. I think it is that some of the very competitive out-of-state educated undergrads that are FL residents will apply to UF and might not apply to FSU or USF. So it could just be that the educational make up of the FL applicants that apply to UF include a lot of Ivy leaguers and such.

Also, with UCF offering free rides to 40 some students next year, I wouldn't doubt that they attract alot of very competitive FL applicants that got their education outside of FL.

You make a good point. A lot of more competitive out of staters, even if they have Fl. acceptances at all 3 schools and choose a Fl. school prefer UF or UMiami because of their strong research background and reputations that have been built over many more years then USF or other schools have been in existence.

I think you are right about UCF next year as well. It should be interesting to see how things pan out. I'm assuming they did this scholarship thing for the very reason of getting more competitive people as well rather then taking anybody.

I just finished engineering at UF and i gotta tell ya I compleatly agree with your portrayal of the UF premed. Dont get me wrong, lots of great people and I have alot of friends that are doing it/ did it, but when it comes down to it they are as competitive as it gets. I also think that UF demands alot out of them. Take it as you will and i mean this with no disrespect but I think UF is MUCH harder than other florida school undergrad, atleast compared to FSU which is the #2 public school in the state (I took some summer classes there a few years back) . I know a few of the medical students also. They are pretty competitve but less so than the undergrads in my opinion. Another thing to consider is what another person said. Gainesville is great but it gets old quick. Dont get me wrong, I love it, but it is something to consider.
What kind of engineering? I just completed my BS in Mech Eng w/ a minor in Biomechanics from UF. Boy did I have to work for that one. I'm hoping that after that experience that I'll be much more ready for med school. Too bad my GPA got beat up so bad, lol...

I don't understand the whole ivy league chasing thing. I agree when I was at my interview I felt a little ******ed with me alma matter but nonetheless we at least all took the same MCAT. I guess the biggest question is does the school benifit if more Ivy's come rather than not? I dunno just seems odd.

They definitely try to attract FL residents who graduated at Ivy's. Near the end of the season like in a few months, they will have give many invites and roughly half of those will be waitlisted. Right now they are still trying to interview the Ivy-type applicants and some FL applicants, but around late Feb to March they will start interviewing a lot and mainly FL applicants (Probably because of a lot of withdrawals from the Ivy applicants).

I don't understand the whole ivy league chasing thing. I agree when I was at my interview I felt a little ******ed with me alma matter but nonetheless we at least all took the same MCAT. I guess the biggest question is does the school benifit if more Ivy's come rather than not? I dunno just seems odd.

Like most schools, I think they try to interview the most competitive applicants first, regardless of where they went to college. Students who go to public FL schools but have stellar apps definitely get early invites and early acceptances. So even if there is some preference for people who go to college OOS (and I'm not sure whether there really is or not), competitive in-state grads can definitely get early interviews and acceptances also. I'm just saying, don't not apply to UF just because you didn't go to college at Harvard. If you're a super-competitive applicant from a FL state school, you'll still hold your own with students who went OOS.

Consider also that there is a much larger spread of student ability and performance at a large state U than there is at an Ivy League school. You usually won't see the B/C-level students from high school going to Ivy League colleges, but many of them do go to large state schools. When they go to apply for med school (if they do), they will obviously be less competitive if they continued to be B/C-level students in college. Again, the top premeds from any of the FL state schools *will* be competitive at UF. It's just that they're going to be a smaller percentage of the total number of premeds at their school, because there are more "average" students at state schools than there are at Ivy schools.

Consider also that there is a much larger spread of student ability and performance at a large state U than there is at an Ivy League school. You usually won't see the B/C-level students from high school going to Ivy League colleges, but many of them do go to large state schools. When they go to apply for med school (if they do), they will obviously be less competitive if they continued to be B/C-level students in college. Again, the top premeds from any of the FL state schools *will* be competitive at UF. It's just that they're going to be a smaller percentage of the total number of premeds at their school, because there are more "average" students at state schools than there are at Ivy schools.

Agreed with this and the above post.

I know people who didn't think they had a shot at UF and were interviewed there from my school.

I also agree with this post above and think this is the basis of why you see a lot more UF undergrads getting into med school then a lot of say USF premeds. The reason for the higher percentages comes both from the fact that that at UF there's a lot higher percentage of students applying to med school then coming out of USF due to larger number of premeds but also the people who go to UF are also more competitive in terms of the fact that going into UF they are people on average with higher SAT scores then USF averages and hence most likely to do higher on the MCAT if they are better test takers. They also are people who are more active and involved. I've seen a lot of profiles of people coming from UF and even their student organizations and all and it seems like there school is more active on all levels and their students make that possible and are often times more competitive then most USF students I know. Only a small percentage have been on that level of UF students.

I think the same holds true at an IVY league school. Those people may have more competitive extracurriculars i.e. research with pubs, or they may have better numbers or other things of that nature.

P.S. Don't be under the assumption that UF is the only school that would love to have the most competitive applicants go there. So are all other schools that way.

any current miami med students willing to comment on the curriculum?

Like most schools, I think they try to interview the most competitive applicants first, regardless of where they went to college. Students who go to public FL schools but have stellar apps definitely get early invites and early acceptances. So even if there is some preference for people who go to college OOS (and I'm not sure whether there really is or not), competitive in-state grads can definitely get early interviews and acceptances also. I'm just saying, don't not apply to UF just because you didn't go to college at Harvard. If you're a super-competitive applicant from a FL state school, you'll still hold your own with students who went OOS.

Yes, regardless of where a FL resident graduated whether it is Kennesaw State, Hawaii, or UF itself they shouldn't feel intimiated to apply to UF med school. This and your other post are very good assesments, and I would like to add that UF is a large nationally recognized institution and not many states can boast of having such a highly rated public university. It has a lot of bench and clinical research that many competitive candidates are attracted to. I definitely think that UF Med attracts the attention of competitive candidates that may not be as interested in the other state schools in FL. I would also like to add the something the UF deans told many of the premeds in medical forums was that UF likes to look for acadedmic diversity like classics, history, and music majors, but most schools do this anyway, I think. Maybe many FL applicants who would have gone to a public U right out of high school instead were admitted to and attended an OOS school because it had a certain program they were interested in. Also, UF attracts many OOS students at the undergrad level, and when I think back, most of the premeds I knew that were really competitive, were residents from other states, so it might be hard to gauge the competitiveness of the avergage FL premed at UF, compared to UNF which is mainly in-state students, because many premeds are residents of different states.

What specifically?

Hey, I was wondering if there is a deadline for the submission of materials like immunization forms and financial stuff. All I hear is that "it's later", but is there a specific month when all that stuff has to be in, or can I send all that stuff in to Miami before august. Thanks.

hey dwyane,

I was jw what specifically most people love about it, and also if there were any general complaints about an area of it.

Agreed with this and the above post.

I know people who didn't think they had a shot at UF and were interviewed there from my school.

I also agree with this post above and think this is the basis of why you see a lot more UF undergrads getting into med school then a lot of say USF premeds. The reason for the higher percentages comes both from the fact that that at UF there's a lot higher percentage of students applying to med school then coming out of USF due to larger number of premeds but also the people who go to UF are also more competitive in terms of the fact that going into UF they are people on average with higher SAT scores then USF averages and hence most likely to do higher on the MCAT if they are better test takers. They also are people who are more active and involved. I've seen a lot of profiles of people coming from UF and even their student organizations and all and it seems like there school is more active on all levels and their students make that possible and are often times more competitive then most USF students I know. Only a small percentage have been on that level of UF students.

I think the same holds true at an IVY league school. Those people may have more competitive extracurriculars i.e. research with pubs, or they may have better numbers or other things of that nature.

P.S. Don't be under the assumption that UF is the only school that would love to have the most competitive applicants go there. So are all other schools that way.
UF admissions is incredibly competitive now at the UG level, way more than USF or UNF. So yeah, a lot of the Floridians who go there are some really academically competitive students. Even when I was applying to college in 1992, getting into UF was pretty tough; I remember several of the honors students in my HS senior class who wanted to go there didn't even get in. But now the SATs and GPAs for entering freshmen at UF are just ridiculous. I was going to go to UF for college if I hadn't gone to NC. With my "puny" 1400ish SAT, I'd just barely qualify for their honors program nowadays. :rolleyes: :wow:

UF admissions is incredibly competitive now at the UG level, way more than USF or UNF. So yeah, a lot of the Floridians who go there are some really academically competitive students. Even when I was applying to college in 1992, getting into UF was pretty tough; I remember several of the honors students in my HS senior class who wanted to go there didn't even get in. But now the SATs and GPAs for entering freshmen at UF are just ridiculous. I was going to go to UF for college if I hadn't gone to NC. With my "puny" 1400ish SAT, I'd just barely qualify for their honors program nowadays. :rolleyes: :wow:

Yeah I absolutely agree with you!! My brother had a 1560 when he got in there. My SAT scores would not have even qualified for acceptance which is why I didn't try.

UF is definitely the most competitive school to get into both in terms of undergraduate studies and also graduate studieis especially those graduate schools that are concerned with College of Medicine, Law, Business, and Engineering

Yeah I absolutely agree with you!! My brother had a 1560 when he got in there. My SAT scores would not have even qualified for acceptance which is why I didn't try.

UF is definitely the most competitive school to get into both in terms of undergraduate studies and also graduate studieis especially those graduate schools that are concerned with College of Medicine, Law, Business, and Engineering

When you walk into the Reitz Union on your way to the bookstore, there's a big board "tooting the horn" of the incoming class. I didn't realize there were enough people in one state with these kind of numbers to make up the freshman class, ~10,000. The averages were a 1400 SAT, and something like a 4.4 GPA. I was admitted to the Honors College my freshman year with numbers slightly higher than these - I wonder what they're doing now that about a 1/3 of each class qualifies for the Honors Program?

All these numbers do have a down side though. Some of the classes have been really cut-throat. There was even an article in the student paper a couple years back calling for the admissions people to reduce standards: the reason, UF lost its status as a party school, because the "Nerds were taking over." Not my words, the newspaper's.

Ivy League Parents usually have philanthropic tendicies;)

any current miami med students willing to comment on the curriculum?

Also note the campus because the Boca campus has a completely separate curriculum along with the different clinical rotations.

That's what I loved about it... thankfully I am sitting with an acceptance there!!!! PM me if anyone plans to come to the Boca Campus and needs help finding good places to live and fun stuff to do(did undergrad at FAU):D

hey dwyane,

I was jw what specifically most people love about it, and also if there were any general complaints about an area of it.

Rather than just write the same thing again, I have posted a compilation of responses to PMs I have answered about Miami's curriculum:

"As far as boards go, there is a feeling around the students here that the classes do not prepare you for the boards. Since I am using Qbank questions in the last few days I am starting to realize that this is not very true, since there is a huge overlap between material covered in class and the boards. I guess the best answer would be that Miami does not gear its curriculum towards the boards and the students do well anyways (last year's average was 225ish). This year's average figures to be higher!"

"All four years are pass/fail. However, there is a number associated with your pass and fail. For example, I could see my transcript like this:

Respiratory P 82
GI P 84
Cardio P 79

The pass cut-off for all courses is by default 70. The instructors don't want to see many people fail though and will lower that cut-off as needed. If you score dangerously close to a 70 you will get a Pass-D meaning that the administration is keeping an eye on you to see if you are close to failing.

There are no rankings reported to students or to other residency programs. There is election to AOA, an honor society, but around 20 people are chosen over two years out of the top quartile of the class so there still is not a ranking. You will however know how you are doing since they post a histogram of scores for every test taken and averages.

The school does tell you your quartile and may tell residency programs this (I am not sure about that)."

Question: What is the schedule for the preclinical years? How many hours a day were you in class?

Answer: The schedule will vary week-to-week depending on what module you are in (i.e. what course you are in). For example, I am in my Hematology/Oncology module right now. Last week this is what my schedule looked like:

Monday: Class 9-3 (with lunch break 12-1, no attendance taken)
Tuesday: Class 9-3 (9-12 oncology, lunch break 12-1, 1-3 professionalism lectures, no attendance taken)
Wednesday: Class 9-12 (no attendance taken, 11-12 professionalism lecture)
Thursday: Class 9-12 Oncology (no attendance)
3-5 Small group (required)
Friday: Class 9-12 Oncology (no attendance)

This isn't too atypical, if anything this is slightly more than usual. You always will have class 9-12, then you will sometimes have other activities in the afternoon, some required some not. A lot of people opt to skip the professionalism lectures if they can, I don't and feel it isn't too much time spent in class.

Question
:
Did you often utilize the video streaming?

Answer
:
Yes I do. It is an excellent tool to have when I am doing research and need to miss class to spend time in the lab. During first year I would take Friday mornings off to recharge my batteries so I could hit the books hard during the weekend and I would watch those lectures that same day. You can speed up certain lecturers a lot (up to 2.5x speed) and it may be better to in certain situations

Question
:
How competitive is the class?
Answer:
In terms of attitude most people are pretty cool. There are a couple of gunners but for the most part I love the fact that people here help each other, look out for each other, share study materials and don't try to pull each other down as I have heard that do at other Florida schools. The upperclassmen are extremely helpful as well and it really is like one giant family.
In terms of grades, the quartiles are pretty tightly packed and a difference of 3 pts grade point average meant the difference between first quartile and third quartile for our class in the first year.

Question
:
How is the grading set up (is it pass fail? are their numbers attached to it?)
Answer:
I can only speak for the preclinical years. It is officially a pass/fail system with a number grade. Passing is typically set above a 70, although if you are borderline you get a Pass-D, meaning they are warning you to not toe the line. When they report your preclinical grades they will report your pass/fail grades with a number next to it (e.g. P 85).

That being said preclinical grades are relatively unimportant in terms of matching into residency. Step 1 scores are much,much more important since they are standardized. Unless you are shooting for an honor society spot (AOA), in which case you would like to be in the upper part of the first quartile, I would not worry about your grades so much except to try to be in as high a quartile as possible and to prepare for Step 1.

Question:
Is it mostly memorizing powerpoint slides or is a lot of text book reading required?
Answer:
Slides, slides, and more slides. Read text books to help you understand the material better if you would like but most peoples stick to the presentations to perform well on exams. For boards use review books.

Hope this is useful!

you are the man dwyane!! now only if the heat could start winning..

Thanks dwyane that really helped out! I am looking forward to attending University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in fall.

Ivy League Parents usually have philanthropic tendicies;)

Well this may be true but here is the deal if that is the case. I swear to whatever school I go to I am going to make a 20 million dollar donation, once I have saved every penny of my earnings over 40 years and donate to my school. All I want is a statue that says, "I didn't go to an IVY league school."

When you walk into the Reitz Union on your way to the bookstore, there's a big board "tooting the horn" of the incoming class. I didn't realize there were enough people in one state with these kind of numbers to make up the freshman class, ~10,000. The averages were a 1400 SAT, and something like a 4.4 GPA. I was admitted to the Honors College my freshman year with numbers slightly higher than these - I wonder what they're doing now that about a 1/3 of each class qualifies for the Honors Program?
According to the website, you have to be invited to apply. So apparently those are the minimum requirements, but they don't guarantee you a place just b/c you meet them.

All these numbers do have a down side though. Some of the classes have been really cut-throat. There was even an article in the student paper a couple years back calling for the admissions people to reduce standards: the reason, UF lost its status as a party school, because the "Nerds were taking over." Not my words, the newspaper's.
Heh. One thing I *didn't* like about UF 15 years ago was that it seemed like too much of a party school for my taste. Resistance is futile. ;)

Heh. One thing I *didn't* like about UF 15 years ago was that it seemed like too much of a party school for my taste. Resistance is futile. ;)

Giggity giggity, Alll riiight;)

According to the website, you have to be invited to apply. So apparently those are the minimum requirements, but they don't guarantee you a place just b/c you meet them.

Trust me nothing has changed or so I've heard.

I guess you gotta have some partyin' to balance out all that gunnerism. :D

hahaha true that! Actually, a current MS I at USF was telling someone that when he was in IMS last year with the current M2s, he saw harder partying then he saw in all his years of undergrad at UCF.

hahaha true that! Actually, a current MS I at USF was telling someone that when he was in IMS last year with the current M2s, he saw harder partying then he saw in all his years of undergrad at UCF.

If you listen closely you can almost hear their livers collectively screaming:hardy:

Yes, regardless of where a FL resident graduated whether it is Kennesaw State, Hawaii, or UF itself...

Just curious why you chose Kennesaw State...I am from Kennesaw myself (though I want to Tech).

Just curious why you chose Kennesaw State...I am from Kennesaw myself (though I want to Tech).

Hey,

Well, I just used it as an example because it is a regional university. Also, it is a really cool word to say. Almost like it is a shot of patron made of syllables.