UF vs. Penn for Specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think graduates of Ivy League dental schools will be able to use that as a primary way of attracting patients? (Maybe by playing a “Harvard graduate” sign in big bold letters on their windows or making that a focal point on their website)

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think graduates of Ivy League dental schools will be able to use that as a primary way of attracting patients? (Maybe by playing a “Harvard graduate” sign in big bold letters on their windows or making that a focal point on their website)
not at all my man. patients have never asked me or anyone I talk to on the regular from dental school. Brother/cousin say no as well

“You will open your mouth, understood?!”
- Big Hoss

Big Hoss

Did I just witness a man sign his name twice on an SDN comment?

I'm gonna go deactivate my account now lolol, this is too much

Members don't see this ad :)

5A93B70F-D614-479C-9916-E26D59412583.gif

Big Hoss

the best part is Big hoss signed off after quoting one of his OWN famous one liners. Have you ever seen something so meta in its iteration? Classic hossery

1593169705923.gif

Reactions: 2 users

Depends. We have ALOT of transplants from other states here in Arizona. Not just retirees, but younger families moving here for the lower COL. Many bring their ravenous appetite for their hometown college football teams. I'll see dentists advertising that they are alumni from Nebraska, USC, Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, LSU (insert favorite college football team here) etc. It helps that Arizona hosts many college football bowls.

Patients really do not care where you graduated from. Around here .... I would say being an Arizona State Sun Devils alma mater would have more pull than any Ivy school. Lots of Buckeye fans also :thumbdown: .

images (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 user

I'm from the Northeast where a lot of the Ivies are. If someone is using THAT as their PRIMARY pull of patients, they have a lot of problems. That being said, in this area there are definitely patients who only go to Ivy-trained dentists. The non-Ivy dentists probably don't feel affected by this because there are enough patients that don't care for them to have a successful practice, but for those who specifically seek out an Ivy-trained dentist, only the Ivy-trained dentist would ever really know.

I think most people over estimate our patients intelligence or probably better put their attitude towards this type of thing. My point is the average patient cant even recognize an ivy after the name Harvard. It took me perusing SDN to even realize UPENN was an ivy and that was after 2 years of being a dentist. oh my ignorance. I've had one patient in 4 years talk about how their oral surgeon went to Columbia. I've had 2 or 3 patients ask me where I went to school. The patient who mentioned their oral surgeon was from NYC and was beaming with joy on their Columbia trained OMFS,

I will say I think if you plan to stay in the Northeast it probably does matter more than what people on here will give it credit for. Is that worth the extra tuition? only the graduates who have the degree can answer that.

really I just responded so I could comment on 2th Mvr's point and college football. Namely Nebraska and their football program. I find it interesting how they continue to consider themselves rivals with Michigan and Ohio State. The same could be said with Michigan and Ohio State... look up the last 10 years to see how that "rivalry" has gone.
from 2001-2019: ohio state: 17 Michigan 2. from 2010+: ohio st: 9, Michigan: 1.

As someone who did not go to Ohio state I'd be remiss to say it's really a competition in the big 10. There's Ohio State, and then there is everyone else. Nebraska though... bless their hearts.

I think most people over estimate our patients intelligence or probably better put their attitude towards this type of thing. My point is the average patient cant even recognize an ivy after the name Harvard. It took me perusing SDN to even realize UPENN was an ivy and that was after 2 years of being a dentist. oh my ignorance. I've had one patient in 4 years talk about how their oral surgeon went to Columbia. I've had 2 or 3 patients ask me where I went to school. The patient who mentioned their oral surgeon was from NYC and was beaming with joy on their Columbia trained OMFS,

I will say I think if you plan to stay in the Northeast it probably does matter more than what people on here will give it credit for. Is that worth the extra tuition? only the graduates who have the degree can answer that.

really I just responded so I could comment on 2th Mvr's point and college football. Namely Nebraska and their football program. I find it interesting how they continue to consider themselves rivals with Michigan and Ohio State. The same could be said with Michigan and Ohio State... look up the last 10 years to see how that "rivalry" has gone.

As someone who did not go to Ohio state I'd be remiss to say it's really a competition in the big 10. There's Ohio State, and then there is everyone else. Nebraska though... bless their hearts.
poor husker fans. cant even beat iowa!!

Hey watch yourself. 3 of the last 4 Penn State vs. Ohio State matchups have been decided by three points or fewer, so there's at least SOME competition.

from 2000 - 2019: ohio state 15, Penn State:5

big ten is a tough conference. in my opinion it's still Ohio State in a league of their own. michigan and Penn State in the second tier

mostly I just wanted to point to the delusion of Nebraska Football. People still talk about them like they are going to win the national championship someday. smh.

from 2000 - 2019: ohio state 15, Penn State:5

big ten is a tough conference. in my opinion it's still Ohio State in a league of their own. michigan and Penn State in the second tier

mostly I just wanted to point to the delusion of Nebraska Football. People still talk about them like they are going to win the national championship someday. smh.

Overall Ohio State leads the series 20-14 and that includes the years 2012-2016 which I do not wish to discuss further. Seems like the Ohio State vs. Penn State matchup is a lot more equal than people assume.

Going to a dental school with an integrated medical school curriculum and pass/fail atmosphere was hugely important to me because I want to do OMFS. Thankfully, I wound up at one... that being said, it's extremely expensive and I would not have gone here if not for HPSP.

I say go to the cheapest school if you're at all concerned about loans - even if you're already set on a particular specialty.

Reactions: 2 users