SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UG and Med School Loans

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Bacchus, May 6, 2007.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2007
    I just have a quick question. For those of you that weren't fortunate enough to pay out of pocket for your entire education, how easy did you find it to defer your undergraduate loans and then your medical school loans? It seems that there is so much red tape and a lot of loops to jump through to make it happen. I'm just wondering because CitiFinancial is saying it depends on the type of UG loan and it appears to me that there is only one type. Any answers would be appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. scpod

scpod Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    If your undergrad loan servicer utilizes the national clearinghouse (like most do) then you need do nothing. They will be automatically deferred as long as you are enrolled at least half-time. Ask them. Talk to the financial aid department of your med school and they'll help you with it.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Exactly

You will get a notice in the mail that tells you that your UG loans are coming up for repayment. They usually show up a few months before graduation.

All you need to do is send in proof that you are a full time student. A generic letter from your med school will work.