MD UG curricula

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccrader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a rough guess of how many (if any) MD schools do not require the biology and organic pre-requisite courses. Are there schools that admit based on competency alone, or is this a hard rule?

P.S., undergraduate degree is in mechanical engineering, so solid PS background if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a rough guess of how many (if any) MD schools do not require the biology and organic pre-requisite courses. Are there schools that admit based on competency alone, or is this a hard rule?

P.S., undergraduate degree is in mechanical engineering, so solid PS background if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

How are you planning to prepare for the MCAT without taking the biology and organic pre-requisite courses? I do believe that most (if not all) schools require you to take the biology and organic pre-requisite courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MSAR guidebook suggests that medical schools are leaning toward accepting competencies in replacement of pre-requisites in the future... As always, anything taught in a class can be learned via individual study.

I suppose a related question would be "Do MCAT scoring reports show individual competency breakdown?". i.e. this person did not take organic chemistry, but answered 9/11 questions related to organic chemistry correctly?

I have never heard of medical schools requiring no biology or organic. You have to take them eventually before you matriculate to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Tulane is an hour down the road! However, since I am considering going back after 2.5 years out of school , that may be an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 user