UG freshman needing guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedfresh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, first time posting so please be easy. I'm just looking for some UG guidance, as I'm a freshman and I'm pre-med. So here I go, I'm at a regular nothing special state university, Biology Molecular/Microbiology major, a medical assistant for a year now at a hospital, I have a 4.0 (not like that means anything right now) and NO volunteer time, ECs, nothin.

Basically I'm just posting this to get some guidance as to what you all wish you would've done your freshman year (or any UG year) and things to look out for, look into, etc. First off, I'm not cocky, I don't know too much and thats obvious and why I'm here. I've read my share of "Getting into Med school" books, and I work with about 50 docs, med students, and pre-meds all day long. But thats it, and I feel like I have a GENERAL idea of whats needed but I want advice from the people that are living it every day. I want to know where I should start volunteering, who I should start shadowing, ECs I should get into, research options I should seek out, and such.

I have my course work pretty well set out for me, and I'm pretty open when it comes to applying anywhere, but I want to make myself a very serious candidate for top med schools. I don't know what the future holds, all I know is what I am aiming for. Very open minded and ready for some HELP to get where I need to be. Obviously I have a lot of figuring out to do, I just want to start now. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, first time posting so please be easy. I'm just looking for some UG guidance, as I'm a freshman and I'm pre-med. So here I go, I'm at a regular nothing special state university, Biology Molecular/Microbiology major, a medical assistant for a year now at a hospital, I have a 4.0 (not like that means anything right now) and NO volunteer time, ECs, nothin.

Basically I'm just posting this to get some guidance as to what you all wish you would've done your freshman year (or any UG year) and things to look out for, look into, etc. First off, I'm not cocky, I don't know too much and thats obvious and why I'm here. I've read my share of "Getting into Med school" books, and I work with about 50 docs, med students, and pre-meds all day long. But thats it, and I feel like I have a GENERAL idea of whats needed but I want advice from the people that are living it every day. I want to know where I should start volunteering, who I should start shadowing, ECs I should get into, research options I should seek out, and such.

I have my course work pretty well set out for me, and I'm pretty open when it comes to applying anywhere, but I want to make myself a very serious candidate for top med schools. I don't know what the future holds, all I know is what I am aiming for. Very open minded and ready for some HELP to get where I need to be. Obviously I have a lot of figuring out to do, I just want to start now. :xf:

I don't think I had any ECs freshman year and definitely no research. It's good that you have a solid foundation with your GPA - keep it up. It's good that you're already thinking of these things. Are you working as an MA part-time during school or was that prior to college? I think it would be good to keep that up, at least part time. I think that even lower level clinical positions are at least as good as shadowing - although you need the latter as well.

I think the main thing I did right freshman year was to make a plan as far as when to volunteer, do ECs, research, pre-reqs, and MCAT. Like I said, I didn't actually start most of those things at that point, but I planned them out (as you are starting to do).

I don't think I had any ECs freshman year and definitely no research. It's good that you have a solid foundation with your GPA - keep it up. It's good that you're already thinking of these things. Are you working as an MA part-time during school or was that prior to college? I think it would be good to keep that up, at least part time. I think that even lower level clinical positions are at least as good as shadowing - although you need the latter as well.

I think the main thing I did right freshman year was to make a plan as far as when to volunteer, do ECs, research, pre-reqs, and MCAT. Like I said, I didn't actually start most of those things at that point, but I planned them out (as you are starting to do).

I'm currently full time working and have been since January. Let me explain a little further since I realized I left a lot bit out here, I'm currently in my first term at my university. I transferred over from a community college because I had a GED and didn't meet the SAT requirements. I haven't started my science courses yet since the begining classes don't start until fall term, so I've been working towards my bachelors requirements.

I was at a community college for 2 years, my first year I was working towards nursing prerequisites because I thought for the longest time that becoming a nurse was what I wanted (wrong). I'm really young.. I recieved my GED when I turned 15, and then started immediately at the community college. During my first year I pretty much flunked out of the college, I think my overall GPA was a 2.0 or something horrendous. I'll pull the "I was a kid" card just to get that part over with here, I was very stupid and had no idea what I wanted in life.

I took a break, went to MA school, got a 3.9 for the year of vocational schooling (that doesn't matter), and then started working, and started going to the community college for my 2nd try. This time, I had a 3.9 again, on the deans list, and transferred over fine to my current university where I have only taken math, english and a major required couse.

So my GPA is only a 4.0 because I've only completed one term at my university. Now, I will say that a lot in my life has changed since my first year of community college, and I am a 180 of the student I was then, now and, also very committed to the track I've chosen for myself. I can openly admit that this is NOT the track I would've imagined for myself a couple years ago when I dropped out of high school. There is a lot I wish I could take back, and do over again. But I cant, and I know what I want, and I'm going to do this thing no matter what.

So, to answer your question, Yea I'm full time as an MA and I don't plan to stay that way come fall, but I'm definitely going to continue working during school. I'm thinking of seeking out an ER tech job, because its more in my field of interest then clinical work. Maybe this is something that can be viewed as a "ladder"?

Okay so since my entire life story is up, I'm expecting a lot more lack of interest but none the less, I am very interested in insight on how my background will work against me, and what I can do to improve myself as of now (why I posted this thread to begin with). I'm open to any rude comments any one has to offer, I know I deserve it. But please, just offer me some dang advice. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your cumulative GPA (both times at community college, at your current university, and vocational training included)? And how many college units do you have?

For ECs, go for depth rather than breadth. You should strive to attain a leadership position in an organization or two rather than joining ten or fifteen. Don't spread yourself too thin because that's one of the quickest ways to burn yourself out.

What is your cumulative GPA (both times at community college, at your current university, and vocational training included)? And how many college units do you have?

Cumulative I'm a 3.5 with my 2 years of community, 1 year of vocational, and current term at the university. I have 46 college level courses B and above. The only below B classes I have under my belt are the 1st year community college classes. Do you think these will reflect later for admissions to med schools? I noticed that someone said (and I've also read this) that admissions look for upward trends and favor the variety someone has had, do you think this will be true for me when it comes to these grades?