UG Transfer Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EE9NFYY

Sara
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore currently studying Biology and Psychology at Westfield State University (MA) and have strongly considered transferring to Tufts University or Brandeis University to complete my undergraduate studies. I am in the honors program at WSU with a 3.83 GPA (might be higher with this last semester's grades), have had an internship at Harvard Medical School during the summer (which I will be continuing) and am highly involved with extracurricular activities/work throughout the school year. I applied to Tufts for UG and was accepted but chose the more "cost-effective" route, or so to speak. So far, my studies have excelled although there are many cons about WSU that make me consider transferring.

I would like to advance to medical school following receiving my UG degree and have been researching the criteria medical school admissions consider and how my current school and these two prospective schools would help me reach my goal.

In my current situation, there is no pre-med track/office established which means I have had to be creative and conscientious with ensuring that I fulfill all of the requirements for med schools' admissions (for example, taking stats, which is not a requirement of either major at WSU). Also, there are extremely few people who are as driven and focused as I am which makes it extremely difficult to keep focused. I love my friends, but I would love to be surrounded by people who have the same priorities and discipline as I do.

I fear that if I do transfer to Brandeis (the more probable choice) or Tufts, I will be starting from scratch with connections. The connections I have made are extremely strong which makes it difficult to drop them. Although, leaving does not necessarily mean the ties are cut entirely. However, this means there's only a year (and a half, if I start establishing connections now) to strengthen ties to guarantee strong recommendations for the medical school applications.

Also, switching from one school that is not nearly as competitive as Tufts or Brandeis makes me slightly intimidated by the level of competency by which I will be surrounded. Would it be advised to take that 'risk' and immerse in a more intellectually stimulating and academically focus environment or remain complacent in my current habitat as the "big fish in a small pond"?

I have talked to numerous people who have presented various perspectives on the issue. My advisor supports my transfer 100% while another professor suggests that I become creative with the resources at my institution (she fails to realize that the "people" are part of the problem though, I want to enrich myself within a community where I am always learning from others, but here I am not doing that). A medical school advisor from an institution that I will keep disclosed said that I would be foolish to leave for similar reasons to my professor.

As you can see, I have put days' worth of thought into this since the beginning of September. Any input would be greatly appreciated in helping me to make the most appropriate decision for my future. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply and wait and see what the decisions are in May. If they say no, then your decision is made for you.

As someone who did a lower tier--> upper tier transfer, I have never regretted it. I never had any problems with connections-- for LORs sake, all of the professors I got letters from I only had for one semester, so this wouldn't put you at a disadvantage at all.

The main thing you should take into consideration is cost-- can you afford the transfer? Luckily for me, I could, so I went. If not, I was not going to take out loans to get a slightly different education. This is something you will have to decide for yourself.

Please feel free to PM me if you want more specific questions answered.

Or just stay there and make the best of what you have. You wont regret it down the road.