UGA Class of 2022 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted OOS. Good news considering NC State rejected me outright OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday. I am sick and didn't check my email.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahahaha, that's not stressful at all! Feelings of inadequacy? What are those! Comparing myself to others? I would never! Jealousy towards the accepted students? Psssssh please! I wanted to not know anything whatsoever until February this is absolutely preferred! Thanks UGA!!!!o_Oo_Oo_O

But in all seriousness, congrats to everyone who has been accepted!! Happy Holidays!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!! That’s awesome. Would you mind sharing your stats?

25 yr old female, MD Resident, First-time applicant

Applied: LMU, VMCVM, MSU, Glascow, Penn, UGA
Offered Interview: LMU, VMCVM, MSU, Glascow (declined)
Accepted: UGA :clap:
Attending: TBD, still interviewing with VMCVM (in-state) and MSU, and no response yet from LMU

Overall VMCAS GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.77
Last 45 GPA: 3.73

GRE (Q/V/W): 150(38%)/150(48%)/4.0(60%) *Terrible at standardized testing :(, but I guess it isn't a deal breaker!!

Degree: BS Biology

Veterinary Experience:
1) SA clinic veterinary technician (1,650 hrs)
2) Laboratory Animal clinical technician (1,390 hrs)

Animal Experience:
1) Laboratory Animal Caretaker (640 hrs)
2) Wildlife Rehabiltation Intern (120 hrs)
3) Dairy Farm Milking Aid - (120 hrs)
3) Humane Society Volunteer - 1 shift/wk during a summer (36 hrs)
4) Therapeutic Riding Stable - Equine Volunteer - 1 shift/wk during a summer (36 hrs)

Research Experience:t
1) Laboratory research assistant at University of Maryland School of Medicine for past 2 years - perform various technical services for investigators/research projects. Primary Projects- testing novel biologic drug therapies for Spinal Muscular Atrophy using a transgenic mouse model and efficacy of a live-attenuated Salmonella typhimurium vaccine using a macaque model (2,090 hrs)

Employment: (non-animal)
1) Laboratory Assistant/TA - part-time all 4 years during college (800 hrs)
2) Lifeguard - 2 summers (1120 hrs)
3) Hostess/cashier part time (720 hrs)

Extracurriculars:
1) Club Field Hockey: Offensive player and executive board member - cofounder/treasurer/vice president
2) Relay for Life Committee Member: Public Relations and Advocacy subcomittee chairs
3) Alpha Omicron Pi: Collegiate Sorority Member - Activities Chair and Philanthropy Committee leader
4) Bowling League: Member and Team Captain
5) Future Animal Professionals Club Member
6) Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) member

Non-animal volunteering:
1) AFCEA (Armed forces communications and electronics association) - help with events that raise funds to support STEM scholarship programs

Awards/Honors:
1) Cum Laude
2) Phi Beta Kappa
3) Omicron Delta Kappa - Leadership Honor Society
4) Cater Society of Junior Fellows
5) Order of Omega - Greek Leadership Honor Society
6) Beta Beta Beta- Biology Honor Society

eLORS:
1) SA veterinarian
2) Academic - science professor
3) Current Employer - Director/Chief Veterinarian of Comparative Medicine/Veterinary Resources
4) Pre-vet composite comittee letter

Personal Statement:
N/A - 3 question prompts
However did write an explanation statement to discuss gaps in coursework. I had to take off two non-consecutive semesters because I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at the end of my first semester of college and talked about how I've overcome obstacles associated with chronic illness and remained determined to succeed academically, just graduating a little later than anticipated.

Reactions: 3 users
25 yr old female, MD Resident, First-time applicant

Applied: LMU, VMCVM, MSU, Glascow, Penn, UGA
Offered Interview: LMU, VMCVM, MSU, Glascow (declined)
Accepted: UGA :clap:
Attending: TBD, still interviewing with VMCVM (in-state) and MSU, and no response yet from LMU

Overall VMCAS GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.77
Last 45 GPA: 3.73

GRE (Q/V/W): 150(38%)/150(48%)/4.0(60%) *Terrible at standardized testing :(, but I guess it isn't a deal breaker!!

Degree: BS Biology

Veterinary Experience:
1) SA clinic veterinary technician (1,650 hrs)
2) Laboratory Animal clinical technician (1,390 hrs)

Animal Experience:
1) Laboratory Animal Caretaker (640 hrs)
2) Wildlife Rehabiltation Intern (120 hrs)
3) Dairy Farm Milking Aid - (120 hrs)
3) Humane Society Volunteer - 1 shift/wk during a summer (36 hrs)
4) Therapeutic Riding Stable - Equine Volunteer - 1 shift/wk during a summer (36 hrs)

Research Experience:t
1) Laboratory research assistant at University of Maryland School of Medicine for past 2 years - perform various technical services for investigators/research projects. Primary Projects- testing novel biologic drug therapies for Spinal Muscular Atrophy using a transgenic mouse model and efficacy of a live-attenuated Salmonella typhimurium vaccine using a macaque model (2,090 hrs)

Employment: (non-animal)
1) Laboratory Assistant/TA - part-time all 4 years during college (800 hrs)
2) Lifeguard - 2 summers (1120 hrs)
3) Hostess/cashier part time (720 hrs)

Extracurriculars:
1) Club Field Hockey: Offensive player and executive board member - cofounder/treasurer/vice president
2) Relay for Life Committee Member: Public Relations and Advocacy subcomittee chairs
3) Alpha Omicron Pi: Collegiate Sorority Member - Activities Chair and Philanthropy Committee leader
4) Bowling League: Member and Team Captain
5) Future Animal Professionals Club Member
6) Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) member

Non-animal volunteering:
1) AFCEA (Armed forces communications and electronics association) - help with events that raise funds to support STEM scholarship programs

Awards/Honors:
1) Cum Laude
2) Phi Beta Kappa
3) Omicron Delta Kappa - Leadership Honor Society
4) Cater Society of Junior Fellows
5) Order of Omega - Greek Leadership Honor Society
6) Beta Beta Beta- Biology Honor Society

eLORS:
1) SA veterinarian
2) Academic - science professor
3) Current Employer - Director/Chief Veterinarian of Comparative Medicine/Veterinary Resources
4) Pre-vet composite comittee letter

Personal Statement:
N/A - 3 question prompts
However did write an explanation statement to discuss gaps in coursework. I had to take off two non-consecutive semesters because I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at the end of my first semester of college and talked about how I've overcome obstacles associated with chronic illness and remained determined to succeed academically, just graduating a little later than anticipated.

Wowza i gotta say youre incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I whole heartedly 2nd that statement.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Aw thank you! It means a lot! I was so concerned about my GRE score, I knew early on in this process it was going to be my weakest aspect, so I made sure to gain as much experience and work my booty off in my classes to make up for it, and I guess it paid off!

Reactions: 1 users
Aw thank you! It means a lot! I was so concerned about my GRE score, I knew early on in this process it was going to be my weakest aspect, so I made sure to gain as much experience and work my booty off in my classes to make up for it, and I guess it paid off!
My gre score is **** too and I always worry about it :/

My gre score is **** too and I always worry about it :/
I know the feeling, I took it like 3-4 times and it was still crap, but I think they truly look at the big picture, whole individual otherwise I wouldn't have heard anything! Don't stress too much!

I took it 3 times as well!! Ugh. Spend an entire year studying/taking that stupid test. Hopefully I no longer have to take it
I know the feeling, I took it like 3-4 times and it was still crap, but I think they truly look at the big picture, whole individual otherwise I wouldn't have heard anything! Don't stress too much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it 3 times as well!! Ugh. Spend an entire year studying/taking that stupid test. Hopefully I no longer have to take it
SAMEE, pure torture. I'm hoping the best for you and that all works out!!

The stats are interesting. Over 75% of men immediately get in the upper 50%, only 22% of women and only 4.7% of minorities. The test basically says you’re a man and white and gives no info on your tenacity/grit.:bullcrap:

The stats are interesting. Over 75% of men immediately get in the upper 50%, only 22% of women and only 4.7% of minorities. The test basically says you’re a man and white and gives no info on your tenacity/grit.:bullcrap:
This is really interesting! Are these stats on their website?

This is really interesting! Are these stats on their website?
It’s a published paper...Here are a few articles. A test that fails : Naturejobs

Is the GRE Even Worth Students' Time?

http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/06/gres-dont-predict-grad-school-success-what-does

http://grad.berkeley.edu/wp-content/uploads/GRE-Studies-Annotated-BIBILOGRAPHY-2014-December-5.pdf
“performance on the GRE Analytical test as predictive, but only for men”

I swear if I had money I would start a class action law suit for this company! :mad:

Last edited:
Any idea when rejections go out? I did not hear anything during the wave of acceptances so I’m guessing that I’m waiting for a denial, but the silence is painful

Any idea when rejections go out? I did not hear anything during the wave of acceptances so I’m guessing that I’m waiting for a denial, but the silence is painful
Last year UGA did not release any early acceptances. Not sure if they did for the 2020 class either. Think others have mentioned that in the years that they did do it, it was more like a week earlier than the rest of the decisions and not a month + early. Don’t think there is cause to be worried yet by any means. Also haven’t heard of any IS decisions going out yet.

Last year decisions were released February 13. The year before it was more like the last Friday in January.

Hang tight and best of luck to you.

Last year UGA did not release any early acceptances. Not sure if they did for the 2020 class either. Think others have mentioned that in the years that they did do it, it was more like a week earlier than the rest of the decisions and not a month + early. Don’t think there is cause to be worried yet by any means. Also haven’t heard of any IS decisions going out yet.

Last year decisions were released February 13. The year before it was more like the last Friday in January.

Hang tight and best of luck to you.
Thank you! I’m OOS so totally know it’s a long shot, but am still antsy to hear from them

Thank you! I’m OOS so totally know it’s a long shot, but am still antsy to hear from them
Did that many people get accepted in that wave? I thought it was like only a handful that they accepted. I figured there were many more going out in the next few weeks both IS and OOS

Did that many people get accepted in that wave? I thought it was like only a handful that they accepted. I figured there were many more going out in the next few weeks both IS and OOS

I only saw a handful (like 4 or 5) on here but where they only accept about 20 OOS I wasn’t sure if all of the OOS acceptances went out and some just weren’t on SDN ‍♀️

I only saw a handful (like 4 or 5) on here but where they only accept about 20 OOS I wasn’t sure if all of the OOS acceptances went out and some just weren’t on SDN ‍♀️
Only 20? Geez. Well I’m going to remain positive!

I'm IS and the anticipation is KILLING me! I just want to know one way or the other so I can move on with my life. Ever since fall semester ended I've been a mess checking my email and reading on the forum.

I'm IS and the anticipation is KILLING me! I just want to know one way or the other so I can move on with my life. Ever since fall semester ended I've been a mess checking my email and reading on the forum.
Same! But luckily I only found out about SDN a month or so ago or else I would have been on here 24/7 (....as I am now).

I'm going crazy with anticipation.

I’ve yet to hear back also, but I guess that’s better than being rejected already, right? Maybe we are just in a later wave of interview invites.

UGA doesn't do interviews.

Ah, okay. Well in that case, does anyone know if they send rejections via e-mail or snail mail?
They send them via email, and it's usually around mid-February. Has anyone heard if they've started calling references yet?

They send them via email, and it's usually around mid-February. Has anyone heard if they've started calling references yet?
No but we know that people started getting acceptances so I'm assuming so.

I’ve yet to hear back also, but I guess that’s better than being rejected already, right? Maybe we are just in a later wave of interview invites.
Asking the real questions! I saw one of the vets who wrote me a letter of rec and I wanted so badly to ask them if they had been contacted but I didn't (because I doubt they would tell me if they had).

Man, I'm getting anxious. Has anyone's references been called by chance?

My references haven’t told me they have, but I doubt they would tell me unprompted. And I don’t really feel like I should ask them. Considering that decisions could very well be sent out within the next month however, I have to assume that they have started contacting references or will be doing so very shortly.

Mine would definitely tell me and I haven’t heard anything. I think I remember seeing from last years thread that they started calling references in the first week of February... I just want January over with already!

I totally understand, last year when I applied I was counting the minutes. This year (second time applying), I keep forgetting it's even happening haha it will come soon enough y'all!

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I have a dear friend who is faculty at the CVM and I shamelessly asked him if he had any knowledge as to where the school is in the decision-making process. He said applications have been reviewed. Here's what that means:

Every cycle, a few faculty members are tasked with examining promising applications (individually). This process is what they call 'reviewing'. Once they have been reviewed, the designated faculty hand their applicant choices over to the admissions committee, which will make the ultimate decisions.

So, our applications are in the hands of the final committee now. Hopefully we'll start to hear that references are being called soon.

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I have a dear friend who is faculty at the CVM and I shamelessly asked him if he had any knowledge as to where the school is in the decision-making process. He said applications have been reviewed. Here's what that means:

Every cycle, a few faculty members are tasked with examining promising applications (individually). This process is what they call 'reviewing'. Once they have been reviewed, the designated faculty hand their applicant choices over to the admissions committee, which will make the ultimate decisions.

So, our applications are in the hands of the final committee now. Hopefully we'll start to hear that references are being called soon.
I dont know why but when I read this I instantly felt my stomach drop. :sick: Thanks for the info and good luck to everyone!

I have no way of validating this, but a friend of mine told me that she heard that decisions may be out as early as next week! Again, I’m not sure where she heard that, but it’s still exciting to hear!

Has anyone else's heart started pounding the second they get a call from an unsaved number?

Reactions: 6 users
In 3 weeks we should know guys! Hopefully sooner. :xf:

I'm getting so anxious.. I'm hoping that since they've already accepted some out of state that we will hear back earlier than they did last year.

CSU heard back yesterday, and they were supposed to be mid-February also. Maybe that’s a sign we will hear back soon also.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if calling references is a for sure thing to happen before acceptances?

Does anyone know if calling references is a for sure thing to happen before acceptances?
This is on the UGA CVM website:
"The College of Veterinary Medicine does not conduct interviews as part of the admission process. The Admissions committee will call and interview one or more of the candidate’s references, asking a standardized set of questions. Based on the candidate’s academic credentials, the faculty file evaluations, and the interviews with the references, the Admissions Committee selects Admitted Candidates and Alternates."
This is my fifth and final time applying, and they have called references before sending out decisions every year I've applied.

Reactions: 2 users
This is on the UGA CVM website:
"The College of Veterinary Medicine does not conduct interviews as part of the admission process. The Admissions committee will call and interview one or more of the candidate’s references, asking a standardized set of questions. Based on the candidate’s academic credentials, the faculty file evaluations, and the interviews with the references, the Admissions Committee selects Admitted Candidates and Alternates."
This is my fifth and final time applying, and they have called references before sending out decisions every year I've applied.
I’m sure this will be your year! Rooting for you!