UGA vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ Bittenbinder

c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I’m still waiting on a financial aid package from another school, but I’ve pretty much narrowed down my decision to UGA and Cornell. (My in state is Tufts so I don’t have a cheap option)

According to VIN, cost of living in both is about the same, which is odd to me because I hear UGA rent and cost of living is muuuuch cheaper. I have received a need based grant from Cornell making tuition ~42-44k, whereas UGA will be ~49k. I am a little nervous about the financial aid at Cornell due to the anticipated recession and the possibility of them not renewing that grant next year... does this fear hold any water?

I’m interested in research and considering lab animal medicine as a path. Cornell’s program for lab animal is older than Georgia’s, should that hold any bearing on my decision? I’m also interested in ophthalmology— anyone know if there are ways to get involved and explore that specialty before clinical year? I hear at Cornell people can get jobs at the hospital, but some require you to commit your summer which I don’t want to do (since I may want to do research programs over the summer)

Other considerations: the weather in Georgia is nicer, but Cornell is closer to home (MA). I’ve heard great things about the UGA community and it has a brand new hospital. The Cornell renovations are also very nice.

I haven’t been able to visit UGA due to coronavirus, so I haven’t gotten an in person vibe myself.

Thank you to anyone who has any thoughts or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to consider moving costs. Moving to NY wont be bad, but moving to UGA will likely cost an arm and a leg. I know for myself, just uhaul wants over $750 to move from Rochester Ny to Purdue. Plus, you can likely drive back and forth from Cornell and UGA you would have to fly back and forth from home. Just other considerations.

Reactions: 1 user
I can at least speak to some Cornell stuff.
I am a little nervous about the financial aid at Cornell due to the anticipated recession and the possibility of them not renewing that grant next year... does this fear hold any water?
I haven’t heard anything about this. So I think the answer is :shrug:
I’m also interested in ophthalmology— anyone know if there are ways to get involved and explore that specialty before clinical year?
The clinicians are more than willing to let people shadow them if you are interested!
I hear at Cornell people can get jobs at the hospital, but some require you to commit your summer which I don’t want to do (since I may want to do research programs over the summer)
Yes and yes. Jobs vary in requirements and many many departments hire, but it is possible for you to find a job that doesn’t require summer hours or at least will be flexible with your summer schedule. You should definitely check out the VIP program for summer research.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the responses!

I guess I’ve narrowed down my decision a little bit. I’m thinking that the academics and connections at Cornell probably outweigh UGA (I think PBL would work well for my learning style) whereas the community/culture/weather etc are more attractive to me at UGA. The problem is which do I weigh more! My intuition tells me that I’m paying a lot of money for the academic aspects and opportunities so I should choose Cornell... but at the same time my gut kinda tells me UGA!

Anyone have any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad :)
I have visited UGA; their renovated hospital is very nice indeed, and people there were some of the nicest I have met. I also did extensive research on Cornell CVM (couldn't visit due to work and C19). If I were in your situation I would consider about the community and how you see yourself being in each environment, since academic-wise they are very comparable and would provide you with whatever you need for your future goals. Vet school is very stressful, and if the money isn't that much different, I would go somewhere that I see myself being happiest at.

I have visited UGA; their renovated hospital is very nice indeed, and people there were some of the nicest I have met. I also did extensive research on Cornell CVM (couldn't visit due to work and C19). If I were in your situation I would consider about the community and how you see yourself being in each environment, since academic-wise they are very comparable and would provide you with whatever you need for your future goals. Vet school is very stressful, and if the money isn't that much different, I would go somewhere that I see myself being happiest at.
Thank you for your advice! Did you apply to both schools? If not, why not if you don’t mind me asking? Like were there any factors that pushed you away from one compared to another?

Thank you for your advice! Did you apply to both schools? If not, why not if you don’t mind me asking? Like were there any factors that pushed you away from one compared to another?
I did apply to Cornell, but after thinking a lot about it and talking to some people who go there and my relatives around there, I don't see myself being as happy living in Ithaca compared to my other options. For UGA, I didn't apply only because of their low number of OOS seats and the fact that I lack one of their prereqs. I applied to many schools, and it just didn't seem like a good investment of my time for the essays and application fee for a school that I will likely be rejected to. However, I do have to say, if given the option of going to UGA I would be over the moon and I can see how it gets difficult to decide.

Reactions: 1 user