UGA vs. Illinois vs. UF (Zoo Med)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleSparrow

UGA CVM c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a very tough decision to make, but I am so thankful to have options. I am pursuing zoo/wildlife medicine and possibly a masters in public health. So my main factors in deciding are the programs and opportunities for zoo/wildlife experience at these schools, as well as cost.

I've heard amazing things about the opportunities at both Illinois and Florida. Illinois has a wildlife clinic on campus you can volunteer at right away, and they start clinical rotations 1st year. However, their quarter system curriculum concerns me a little. They are also close to the Brookfield and Lincoln Park zoos.

I was waitlisted at Florida (sadly), but I absolutely loved it when I interviewed, and I heard the OOS waitlist moves a lot, so I'm hoping to get a call. This school is well known for their zoo program. They have a zoo ward I could volunteer in, and you can get a certificate in aquatic medicine. They also have connections to several facilities I would love to complete future internships/residencies with.

UGA technically has a specialization in zoo med/public health. However, they recently changed how this worked so that you could only begin this specialization in 3rd year after applying for a spot in it and getting in. I understand the purpose of this to be so that only students truly following this path will get seats in those classes, and not just students who are kind of curious. But I'm not sure I like this when I could get those experiences starting year 1 elsewhere. They do have a wildlife team that I believe I can volunteer with early on (would like some input here). The big tug for this school is that I was accepted on a contract seat with in-state tuition. So cost wise this one is a good bit less.

All this being said, I truly want to go somewhere I will get unique and amazing zoo and wildlife opportunities. Costs of living is very comparable in all three areas, and I love the feel of each town. All of them are fairly small cities with charm.
Thanks in advance for everyone's advice! I need all the help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.