UGA VS NC State wildlife/exotics/zoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vethopeful26

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on UGA vs NC state for zoo and wildlife experience? They are both roughly the same price. NC state seems to have more diversity and more didactic learning in zoological medicine with a simulation lab. However uga has a wildlife treatment crew and SCWDS for wildlife experience with very little didactic material on wildlife/zoo.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked part time in UGA's zoo med department in the VTH last summer as a vet assistant and I really liked it! Their facilities are super nice because of the brand new hospital and the faculty/staff were great. The wildlife treatment crew got to do a lot of hands on work while they were there and would often sit in on rounds or watch procedures/treatments that the 4th years were doing in rotations. They also were able to build some relationships with the faculty while they did so, and they all seemed to greatly enjoy it. Outside the typical companion animal clientele and wildlife cases, the department also has a partnership with the local zoo in Athens and they got to work on a number of their animals while I was there.

I know nothing about NC State's program but I can't say enough great things about what I saw at UGA!

Reactions: 1 user
I worked part time in UGA's zoo med department in the VTH last summer as a vet assistant and I really liked it! Their facilities are super nice because of the brand new hospital and the faculty/staff were great. The wildlife treatment crew got to do a lot of hands on work while they were there and would often sit in on rounds or watch procedures/treatments that the 4th years were doing in rotations. They also were able to build some relationships with the faculty while they did so, and they all seemed to greatly enjoy it. Outside the typical companion animal clientele and wildlife cases, the department also has a partnership with the local zoo in Athens and they got to work on a number of their animals while I was there.

I know nothing about NC State's program but I can't say enough great things about what I saw at UGA!
Thank you for this information!!