Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
594
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guy's I just got through watching Super Size Me. Man I am totally disgusted! Damned Fat Asses...

It got me wondering though, will I be able to maintain a reasonably healthy diet in school. Is there time to cook and eat anything other than fast food?
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Doc 2b said:
Hey guy's I just got through watching Super Size Me. Man I am totally disgusted! Damned Fat Asses...

It got me wondering though, will I be able to maintain a reasonably healthy diet in school. Is there time to cook and eat anything other than fast food?
Yes. Also, there are places that serve reasonable fast food. You don't even have to get fries as a combo at Wendy's. You can get a salad, baked potato, or chili.

Also, there are always places like quizno's, szchlotsky's, panera, and others.

Fast food doesn't always mean double cheeseburger and super size fries.

Why would anyone eat at McDonald's anyway? Their food is nasty, their fries are soggy, their chicken is the wrong color, and their orange juice is always warm.

Not to mention their mascot looks like a very familiar childmolester pop star, but only with red hair as a disguise.
 

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
893
0
37
Ohio
Visit site
Status
Doc 2b said:
Hey guy's I just got through watching Super Size Me. Man I am totally disgusted! Damned Fat Asses...

It got me wondering though, will I be able to maintain a reasonably healthy diet in school. Is there time to cook and eat anything other than fast food?
I haven't eaten any McD's since I saw that movie. I always find time to cook and not eat fast food. It is kinda my own way of relaxing for a little bit before I get back to work. Yes you can find time to cook and eat when in med school.
 

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
491
6
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
I was so close to replying WRONG CATEGORY, TRY LOUNGE. but then your question is actually relevant. :( :thumbup: You win.

I eat way more fast food than I'd like. I used to cook a lot for myself, and I'm honestly just out of the habit.

I really am trying to resist talking smack about the attendance policy here......blah, I give in. Cooking is one of the many things I wish I had more time for. Not to mention some more flexibility in my schedule. I was up last night until 4am taking care of a friend who isn't feeling well, which means I slept in today, which means the routine for my 8-5 Monday is ruined.

Actually, I guess not. I'll fall asleep in the back of the class while listening to mp3's and after a cup of coffee, I'll be mostly coherent. Typical Monday.

-end rant-

What was I talking about? Oh yeah. If eating well is important to you, you'll find time. :)

NS
 

JunkintheTrunk

Blondes are smrt
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2003
2,502
0
37
The Mitten
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i don't find it as hard to eat well in school (just buy healthy snacks to take with you while you're on campus, cheaper and tastier than eating cafeteria food anyways :scared: ).......but i think it's harder to stay ACTIVE while you're in school. when all you do most days is study at a desk, your ass tends to pay the consequences :rolleyes:
 

rchrest1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2002
107
0
40
Lewisburg, WV
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
You don't even have to get fries as a combo at Wendy's. You can get a salad, baked potato, or chili.

Also, there are always places like quizno's, szchlotsky's, panera, and others.
Wendy's burgers are just as fatty and greasy. That's why they taste good. Triple cheeseburger and salad (with fatty dressing) or baked potato (sour cream, cheese, etc.) or chili with fatty beef. I'd say the average fat content of quiznos is pretty scary too. You just can't win at any of these places. They lure you in with the "6 Subs with 6 grams of fat or less..." then you get something totally different and load it with fatty condiments.

You can make a sandwich at home sometimes faster than you can stand in line at the fast food joint. Dinner? Talk to your fam on the phone or hang out with a significant other while you cook.

Eating right is a tough commitment and I admit the "I'm a med student" excuse can justify almost anything.

That was a fantastic movie, though.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
rchrest1 said:
Wendy's burgers are just as fatty and greasy. That's why they taste good. Triple cheeseburger and salad (with fatty dressing) or baked potato (sour cream, cheese, etc.) or chili with fatty beef. I'd say the average fat content of quiznos is pretty scary too. You just can't win at any of these places. They lure you in with the "6 Subs with 6 grams of fat or less..." then you get something totally different and load it with fatty condiments.

You can make a sandwich at home sometimes faster than you can stand in line at the fast food joint. Dinner? Talk to your fam on the phone or hang out with a significant other while you cook.

Eating right is a tough commitment and I admit the "I'm a med student" excuse can justify almost anything.

That was a fantastic movie, though.

You can get chicken at Wendy's & Quizno's and you can get fat free dressing.
 

EMTLizzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2004
247
0
38
Manasquan, NJ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
rchrest1 said:
That was a fantastic movie, though.
Actually, I just saw it as another attempt at absurd, liberal anti-capitalist propaganda. A la Michael Moore.

How many people actually eat that food 24/7 for an antire month and have below average activity all at once? At least one with a video camera and an axe to grind. But McDonalds is not responsible for the obesity problem. Nobody is being forced to eat junk food.
 
OP
D

Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
594
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
EMTLizzy said:
... McDonalds is not responsible for the obesity problem. Nobody is being forced to eat junk food.
Oh, I absolutely agree! It is just like using tobacco, common sence tells you it is bad, nobody forced a cigarette in peoples hands, but they sue the company. I think it is absolutely absurd that these fat asses sue because of emotional and physical damages. I about choked when the guy on the movie said "i wonder when it will be socially acceptable to hector fat people in public?" I say now....
 

wisconsinmilf

Fabuleux destin d'Amélie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
52
0
blue state
Status
Doc 2b said:
Oh, I absolutely agree! It is just like using tobacco, common sence tells you it is bad, nobody forced a cigarette in peoples hands, but they sue the company. I think it is absolutely absurd that these fat asses sue because of emotional and physical damages. I about choked when the guy on the movie said "i wonder when it will be socially acceptable to hector fat people in public?" I say now....
Perhaps more disturbing than the respective fat & sodium content of fast food is the extensive and insidious use of offal; yum, yum. Btw, I agree, hector those weak fat asses; oh, and the illiterate as well.
-WM
 

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
893
0
37
Ohio
Visit site
Status
EMTLizzy said:
Actually, I just saw it as another attempt at absurd, liberal anti-capitalist propaganda. A la Michael Moore.

How many people actually eat that food 24/7 for an antire month and have below average activity all at once? At least one with a video camera and an axe to grind. But McDonalds is not responsible for the obesity problem. Nobody is being forced to eat junk food.
I think you missed the point of the movie then. The filmmaker wasn't saying that people eat this stuff 24/7, but was using a very effective literary device to prove a point. There are millions of people that have below average activity and eat at a fast food joint 3-5 times per week. Compound that over a lot of years and it is not surprising what results you will get.
 

rpkall

Darwin Award Winner
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
531
9
Status
It's kind of a crappy situation for many, many people--especially those in cities or urban areas with limited access to quality supermarkets. The number of supermarkets per 100,000 people in cities and low-SES areas is surprisingly fewer than in suburbs or more affluent areas of the city (in general).

Fruit and veggies don't sell in the cities because they are more expensive and more demanding (as far as preparation for a family) than walking into KFC and getting a bucket of chicken for the fam to share. Fast food moves in and good supermarkets move out. Or, if you walk into a city convenience store/supermarket--the selection of produce is usually more dismal than in your average suburban Super-Wal-Mart or Shaws or PathMark or whathaveyou.

I'm all for personal responsibility and I also tend to swing more libertarian than anything else--but there *is* a big element of this epidemic that is society-generated or at least propagated by the natural evolution of food companies financially (both supermarkets AND fast food joints).

I believe in a laissez-faire economy, which would accept the fact that supermarkets in cities have a right to make their produce section smaller than their chips/dip section, because it's a good business decision... And it would also accept the fact that McD's and Wendy's should be able to buy that vacant lot where the crack-house burned down and set up shop, because they will probably sell a lot of product there.

But, if NO ONE takes responsibility, it's an issue. Volunteer based organizations (or even for-profit ones), as well as health professionals, teachers, educators, etc, need to help the general public take their lives back--to empower people and give them the self-efficacy to make changes in the way that they--as individuals--conduct their lives.

Cuz at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who regulates what and which companies take "corporate responsibility"--we still live in a society where you can ALWAYS get that quarter pounder in the middle of the night, and chase it with a milkshake. The problem is with the individuals who make these bad choices to begin with.
 

EMTLizzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2004
247
0
38
Manasquan, NJ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
rpkall said:
Cuz at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who regulates what and which companies take "corporate responsibility"--we still live in a society where you can ALWAYS get that quarter pounder in the middle of the night, and chase it with a milkshake. The problem is with the individuals who make these bad choices to begin with.
I completely agree that personal responsibility has to factor into it.

Maybe the solution is to begin a better healthy eating/physical education program in schools.

Of course, I had one in school but I always found it to be a waste of an hour a week.

In general, there shouldn't be anything wrong with places like McDonald's and Wendy's existing or even marketing to kids. It's when that food becomes a regular diet that it is unhealthy. 4 year olds don't have a lot of disposable income or a car, so you'd think their parents would have some influence on what they eat.
 
OP
D

Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
594
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the key word here is lazy. It is easier to buy the BigMac, as stated before. It is easier to say yes to your child than no, when they want a happy meal. Parenting is the number one problem in our society, it's influence or as the case may be, lack of influence is what is contributing to our poor education, poor diets, school violence, etc. Until parents realize their responsibilty, we are going to keep perpetuating the cycle of unhealthy fat, angry, ignorant people.
 

rchrest1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2002
107
0
40
Lewisburg, WV
Visit site
Status
DORoe said:
I think you missed the point of the movie then. The filmmaker wasn't saying that people eat this stuff 24/7, but was using a very effective literary device to prove a point. There are millions of people that have below average activity and eat at a fast food joint 3-5 times per week. Compound that over a lot of years and it is not surprising what results you will get.

I'd say millions with way below average activity and fast food 5-7 times a week easy. I have classmates that east fast food every day for lunch, and probably a few dinners and breakfasts thrown in also.... oh, and exercise? Who has time for that? Cutting out 60 min of TV each night would just be horrible. Thus, the "I'm a med student and I don't have time" excuse comes into play. EMTLizzy, welcome to our fat state.
 

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
893
0
37
Ohio
Visit site
Status
I agree with everything you have said. I would also add that this isn't just an urban problem like someone mentioned earlier. It is not as simple as access to quality foods. Here is Athens we have plenty of access to fresh very good produce through various supermarkets and a top notch farmers market that very few people take advantage of. We also have access to a variety of gyms, state parks, and other recreational centers for people of all ages that not enough people take advantage of. I think it comes down to lack of education, lack of money in some instances, and a general disregard for personal health. While I don't agree with blaming the fast food joints totally you have to think that for $3.00 you can either buy a jr. bacon cheeseburger, a medium fry, and a medium coke OR you can buy a head of cauliflower that you have to prepare in some way.
 

rpkall

Darwin Award Winner
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
531
9
Status
In the '50s, a fast food meal was a small (unprocessed, homegrown, non-chemically/genetically altered) hamburger, a small order of fries, and a 10 oz. coke, for a total of about 600-700 calories (just guessing, but I'm probably close). This was absolutely fine for dinner for Biff and McFly and friends when heading to the drive in.

Today, perceptions of what a meal actually *is* are different. It's marketed as if we should all put on a bib and have six courses three times a day and we're all going to be fine--happy and healthy even, and ready to go shopping at Versace and Banana Republic.

I wish there was a way to make people connect the dots between their choices in life and the state of their physical well-being... Before they get wheeled into the cath lab.