DO UGrad GPA < 3.0 / PostBac 3.9 / MCAT 32. DO chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bball4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated this past summer with cGPA of 2.65 and sGPA of 2.75 at top 25 state school. Started informal Post-Bac this Fall at different but still competitive school. Repeated OChem and Physics (A in both) and took three other upper level science courses (A, A, A-) to end up with a 3.9 for the semester.

I have solid ECs and good LORs. Including extensive shadowing and some research experience. The repeats bring my sGPA to 3.1 and cGPA to 2.9. MCAT of 32 (11 phys, 10 verbal, 11 bio).

What are my chances to DO schools if I apply early next cycle?

Another semester Post-bac would bring sGPA to 3.27 and cGPA to 3.0. Chances then?

Thanks in advance for any input.

**Edit: I should also mention that I took two years off from undergrad 2011-2013 when I was one class short of graduating due to the loss of a very close friend. During this time I worked 50+ hours per week (non-medical) and volunteered at a lab on campus. Came back this past summer with a new focus. Took 17 hours (11 of which were pre-req retakes) and got straight A's.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Graduated this past summer with cGPA of 2.65 and sGPA of 2.75 at top 25 state school. Started informal Post-Bac this Fall at different but still competitive school. Repeated OChem and Physics (A in both) and took three other upper level science courses (A, A, A-) to end up with a 3.9 for the semester.

I have solid ECs and good LORs. Including extensive shadowing and some research experience. The repeats bring my sGPA to 3.1 and cGPA to 2.9. MCAT of 32 (11 phys, 10 verbal, 11 bio).

Another semester Post-bac would bring sGPA to 3.27 and cGPA to 3.0. Chances then?

**Edit: I should also mention that I took two years off from undergrad 2011-2013 when I was one class short of graduating due to the loss of a very close friend. During this time I worked 50+ hours per week (non-medical) and volunteered at a lab on campus. Came back this past summer with a new focus. Took 17 hours (11 of which were pre-req retakes) and got straight A's.

With the other semester postbacc you will be a shoo-in for most mid to low tier DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Chances outstanding for DO programs. You may have some luck with a fee low-tier MD programs (at least, try your state school, if any).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is amazing news! Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that Adcoms will see the 2.65 undergrad GPA and toss my app or at least require many more hours of A-grade post-bac work. Don't they look at undergrad and post-bacs separately? Either way, thanks for the responses.

Also, will they consider a two year gap in my education as a big red flag, despite the circumstances, especially considering I was only one class short of graduating prior to the hiatus?

Last edited:
This is amazing news! Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that Adcoms will see the 2.65 undergrad GPA and toss my app or at least require many more hours of A-grade post-bac work. Don't they look at undergrad and post-bacs separately? Either way, thanks for the responses.

Also, will they consider a two year gap in my education as a big red flag, despite the circumstances, especially considering I was only one class short of graduating prior to the hiatus?
your postbacc grades are a part of your undergraduate GPA.

Your stats and experiences are almost identical to my own. Here's to a successful upcoming cycle! Good luck