Ugrad in 3 years - what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idioteque

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To peeps who finished undergrad in 3 years and did something else during the application year - what did you do? Did you get a job related to medicine or get a 1yr masters or fulfill your lifelong dream (or at least mine) and become a bum? Any insight is appreciated. thanks in advance. peace.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished in three years but I had no idea what to do with my life afterwords. I initially went and worked for a biotech company and hated it. Then I moved to a mountian town and became a ski bum for a year until I tore my ACL. Rehabed that and did the MCATs and then went to Guatemala and learned Spanish. It's been a wild ride so far. Next plan is to move and get a job as an MCAT tutor and work on my Flight Instructor rating. I should go do research to boost my application, but I'm not going to. My suggestion would be take the year and work at something fun, apply to medical school, and as soon as you get the acceptance of your choice, get the hell out of dodge and travel. Go to as many foreign countries as possible and if you want to learn Spanish, Guatemala is the best place to do it. Central America is also a great place to travel. Good luck.

Flightfire said:
I finished in three years but I had no idea what to do with my life afterwords. I initially went and worked for a biotech company and hated it. Then I moved to a mountian town and became a ski bum for a year until I tore my ACL. Rehabed that and did the MCATs and then went to Guatemala and learned Spanish. It's been a wild ride so far. Next plan is to move and get a job as an MCAT tutor and work on my Flight Instructor rating. I should go do research to boost my application, but I'm not going to. My suggestion would be take the year and work at something fun, apply to medical school, and as soon as you get the acceptance of your choice, get the hell out of dodge and travel. Go to as many foreign countries as possible and if you want to learn Spanish, Guatemala is the best place to do it. Central America is also a great place to travel. Good luck.

Why is guatamala the best place to learn spanish?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in my year off after graduating in 3 years, and really I don't do too much. I take continuing education classes that are not useful (voice classes, oil painting, guitar, spanish), teach an MCAT class for Kaplan, and volunteer twice a week at a hospital. Overall, it's been pretty excellent. Teaching the class lets me not forget everything about science, and leaves my days clear to annoy my friends in classes and play with my dog. Also, I'm gonna travel all over europe after my mcat class is done in april.

how could you guys possibly want to rush through undergrad? if i could do it again, i'd finish in 6 years

ohhhh goodness... if i could get in this cycle and just get a little deferral to sit in my room all day and finish my book, which is not going to be done no matter how many 10 hour writing days I put in, by april.... *sniffle*
just one year ... pretty pretty book..... when I don't write for my characters they haunt my dreams and beat me with billy clubs.... uh oh....

i'm graduating in three years but am just applying to med school now.

badlydrawnvik said:
i'm graduating in three years but am just applying to med school now.

Same here.