Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

ugrad research--->residency

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by docmemi, Mar 15, 2004.

1. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

can we use research and abstracts/publications that we had during ugrad (before starting med school) for our residency application? does it help, or is it just what you do during med school that is imp for residency?

my current PI is trying to convince me to stay with the teacm a few more months by saying my research will be very important for my future (residency, felloships), but i rather be doing PAID non-medical/science work and relaxing (im not in school this semester). i have one unfinished project, which may never finish cause we ran into some problems. its so frustrating and hard to leave cause ive been there for so long.

is that true or am i just being used??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know for sure because I'm not medical school yet. However, from my experience in clinical research with a medical school I feel comfortable saying that it all counts. If you continue throughout medical school to build off of your previous research, or research in another area, I think that you build a reputation within the medical community. People can look at you later on for residency spots and say "he/she has really demostrated that they have a passion for this." I would keep up the research especially if you think that you'll get your name on more publications.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

I hate research. I hope it dies... should I mention this on my applications?

4. hmno82

hmno82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

YES! Definitely mention this.

5. OP
    OP
    docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks. im not sure if ill get more publications, that is my problem. im convinced not. maybe one more abstract. i may be doing a summer research fellowship for which i finally get a stipend for. but, i want my summer...but i cant ditch the team. sux, arghhhh this is frustrating. help

bump.

6. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

I got a feeling that it counts if it's a publication in a peer-reviewed journal. I don't think activities from undergrad count, but publications, those are stuff that stick with you for life.

7. OP
    OP
    docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

highly skeptical i will get a publication judging from how long it took the team to publish the last paper and the problems that we are having. maybe just an abstract in a supplement of a peer review journal.

dont think ill continue with this team during med school...no time, want to do something else, and PI is too old (maybe retiring very soon).

anymore thoughts? thanks.

8. OP
    OP
    docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

wooohooo, i love rejections...well for little things. i didnt get the fellowship. it just makes my life all that easier. dont get me wrong, i am upset about not getting the summer fellowship, but this way i can have my first summer ever and live life a bit before med school starts in the fall. :clap:

thank G-D it wasnt a med school rejection...then i would be depressed.

9. OP
    OP
    docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

bump