Uh am I screwed for COMLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I took the COMSAE ASA105 couple days ago and got a pretty BAD score, 311. I know averages are lower for this one, but I still scored bad. I'm freaking out because I have my COMLEX scheduled June 28. I have to take it by first week of July for my school, so I could push it back a week if I can find a date if that will help. Am I screwed here, or do I keep at it for the next 5 and a quarter weeks? I don't want to risk a board failure, but only other option is to delay clinicals and fall back a year, which sounds like a nightmare.

Members don't see this ad.

If you delay clinicals, why do you fall back a year? Can't you make up the rotation the beginning of your MS4? sure, you likely lose the opportunity to do an away at some point, but failing Level 1 is way way worse than not having an opportunity to do an away. Do not take the exam until you have several passing scores on your practice exams.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the poster above - set up a meeting with Clinical Education, ASAP. You are not the first one in this scenario. I guarantee you they have a protocol for making up one rotation.

It might be more difficult if you have other things you have to make up, like class remediations.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you delay clinicals, why do you fall back a year? Can't you make up the rotation the beginning of your MS4? sure, you likely lose the opportunity to do an away at some point, but failing Level 1 is way way worse than not having an opportunity to do an away. Do not take the exam until you have several passing scores on your practice exams.

Not possible at my school from my understanding. I will push the exam back a week to give me 6 weeks on the dot, and I'll monitor my scores on my practice exams to see I'm passing. Is it better to take a year off or risk taking it (assuming my scores are borderline)?

I agree with the poster above - set up a meeting with Clinical Education, ASAP. You are not the first one in this scenario. I guarantee you they have a protocol for making up one rotation.

No they do not.

Not possible at my school from my understanding. I will push the exam back a week to give me 6 weeks on the dot, and I'll monitor my scores on my practice exams to see I'm passing. Is it better to take a year off or risk taking it (assuming my scores are borderline)?

No they do not.

Failing a level is not advised. It's better to take a year off than take it when you're not ready and fail. Make sure you gauge your progress with practice tests as you get closer to your test date. Don't let your school bully you into taking a level when you're not passing practice exams!

Reactions: 1 user
Failing a level is not advised. It's better to take a year off than take it when you're not ready and fail. Make sure you gauge your progress with practice tests as you get closer to your test date. Don't let your school bully you into taking a level when you're not passing practice exams!

That said, 6 wks is a long time, way longer than our dedicated was. If you really go to it, you might be fine. That said, if you're a week away and still not breaking 450, I would postpone. Failing is worse than delaying a year, but both aren't great.

Reactions: 1 users
That said, 6 wks is a long time, way longer than our dedicated was. If you really go to it, you might be fine. That said, if you're a week away and still not breaking 450, I would postpone. Failing is worse than delaying a year, but both aren't great.

Listen to this person. This advice will save you! Good luck

I am in the same boat as op except I have to take mine before the end of the month. My options are limited to taking academic LOA or taking the exam at this point. I know first time fail is worse than taking LOA, but I also heard that if you take academic LOA you need to get above average on your first take or else it will be difficult to match. Is there truth to this? I'm only interested in either FM/Peds.

I wish I can find it but there was a press release stating they are recalculating the new COMSAE scores starting June 1st. I don't know if this will occur retroactively, but as others have said 6 weeks is a long time. I'd say a week in dedicated is like two weeks during blocks. Take the time to focus on weaknesses and then take another COMSAE in two weeks.