UH and Black Pharmacy Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

American Princess

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Average how many black students are accepted into the UH Pharmacy School and How many black students graduate from the UH pharmacy School.
If anyone knows this information or if you know where I can obatin information please response? Wish to attend University of HOuston :scared:

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think that many African Americans apply to pharmacy school because not very many African Americans are enrolled in Pharmacy school. I do not think their is any Affirmitive Action for Pharmacy admission!

On Average how many black students are accepted into the UH Pharmacy School and How many black students graduate from the UH pharmacy School.
If anyone knows this information or if you know where I can obatin information please response?:scared:

Thank You
Michelleyt

I think you would do better to look at the average GPA and PCAT of those accepted instead of race. I would think (totally my guess here) that race is the last thing the adcom thinks about when reviewing applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you would do better to look at the average GPA and PCAT of those accepted instead of race. I would think (totally my guess here) that race is the last thing the adcom thinks about when reviewing applicants.

word.

Pharmacy isn't like medical school where they have URM's or any other type of special racial designations. Everyone is considered equal.

I'm guessing that based on your post that you are wanting to attend a school with a large minority population? If so, have you looking into Xavier or Howard?

I also recommend looking into Hampton University. I have a friend attending that school. She's white, but the majority of her classmates are black.
As for any type of affirmative action, I don't think that is factored. Another friend of mine was accepted to Mercer (she's a minority). Her stats were very competitive not to mention that she's a great person overall.

I found this link from the aacp. It's not too descriptive, but it does say that 14% of entering pharmacy students in 2005 were minorities. http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNaviga...macy.ppt?DocTypeID=12&TrackID=#256,1,PHARMACY Prescription for a Rewarding Career©

this doesn't have info per school, but it says that 8% of pharmd students enrolled in 2005 were black (better than my category--hispanics only made up 3.5%). I don't agree with affirmative action, and it seems like pharmacy schools don't either. But, what I did in my essay was play up the fact that I am hispanic, not for sympathy, but as something extra that I can offer to patients (since most people feel more comfortable talking to health professionals that are like them). Maybe you could do this too. Good luck :luck:

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/7369_Intro.pdf

not for sympathy, but as something extra that I can offer to patients (since most people feel more comfortable talking to health professionals that are like them).

It's also beneficial that you know spanish. A lot of the study participants I work with their first language is spanish and feel most comfortable speaking spanish. So if you work in a mostly hispanic area, it will be a benefit to your customers that you know spanish.

This also reminds me of a book called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. Or something very close to that. I think it is an excellent true account of how language barriers and differing cultures can have a huge impact on the health of the patient. Read it if you ever get the chance.