1. Anti-Piracy Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted work is illegal. Sale or sharing of pirated materials is a crime and violates the SDN Terms of Service. Be aware that SDN reserves the right to report this activity to copyright holders and appropriate agencies. SDN cooperates with copyright holders in enforcement.

If you encounter an advertisement for a pirated product, please use the Report link located on the lower left side of the post or PM to alert our volunteer team.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UH /Houston /TMC roommate, apartment, condo search

Discussion in 'Housing (Temporary and Long-term)' started by busybee918, May 1, 2007.

1. busybee918

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello All,

These forums are so helpful and I thought I could make it easier for UH COP Class of 2011 to figure out housing issues. I’ve found a lot of useful threads, but as more students start to finalize their plans to attend UH-COP throughout the summer, I hope this thread helps others (including myself!!) find, i.e. a roommate to share the high costs of living and some insight into good affordable living in Houston.

Although I haven’t been to “condo land” in the Texas Medical Center, I think that will be the best bet for me, anyone interested? Short commute to UH campus, near Rice Village, and well, g-l-a-m-a-r-o-u-s compared to my apartments in West Campus. I currently pay 750/month for my “cozy” loft in Austin, ridiculous.

This is my first post to SDN so I’ll introduce myself. I’m a third year at UT, going to UH in the fall, love animals but doesn’t have a pet, loves to clean (I’m Monica from Friends), loves to cook or try to, likes long walks on the beach... kidding :laugh: I don’t know any girls going to UH and, parents preference, I am looking for a gal pal to room with. I will be looking online for some places to check out, I’ll be in Houston in June/July seeking, and moving in beginning of August.

I encourage anyone who posts (crosses fingers!!) to give some 411 too!! And if you have info. About specific apartments, condos, things to watch out for, help a student out!! I will also be posting on any useful info. I find. Is there a complex, street, where many pharmacy, medical, etc. students live?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. C-GAR

C-GAR Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been posting on similar Houston housing threads, offering information, and advertising my condo recently put up for sale. If the OP or anyone else has specific questions about places to live I'll be happy to help out.

"Is there a complex, street, where many pharmacy, medical, etc. students live?"

Condoland is by far where the most graduate students who want to own live. It is 2.5 miles South/South East from TMC, some of the units have really been updated, and these condos will have a monthly payment in the same range as renting a comparable apartment, with the benefit of getting your money back. The 87 Metro bus line has stops going all along Cambridge, and the UT Shuttle which is free to its students has a stop at the corner of Cambridge and El Paseo.

4. busybee918

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think buying a condo would be a great investment, I tried to looking up your place and putting the MLS in the "find a property" section but I'm doing something wrong.

I'm looking to share an apt with someone, but if a condo is an option, I might consider a 1-1 so I wouldn't have to find a roommate to pay me for the extra room every year, I hate it when money comes btwn friends. I'd have to get a realtor and consider selling it after 3 years, keep up with maintenance, but the money back factor is tempting and I wouldn't have to move every year as I have been for the last 3.

5. C-GAR

C-GAR Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

"I tried to looking up your place and putting the MLS in the "find a property" section but I'm doing something wrong. "

Go to SDN Classifieds and look at Houston Med Center Condo, I'm pretty sure that link works.

6. nguyenkd

nguyenkd Alone with my insanity.
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    go to www.har.com and type in the zip codes 77054 and 77030 for condos in/near the TMC. you will get hundreds of results.

7. jenhoustonRN

I want to rent out the downstairs bedroom and full bathroom in my townhouse in midtown to a female med student or resident. Safe, hip area! 5 min to Ben Taub/VA and 7 min to St. lukes. I am a nurse working in med center. Apartments here are more expensive than people think so it would help both of us out! I can give more info if anyone is interested.

8. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Edit: Nevermind :) My situation has changed.

9. seatales

Hello,
    i am a new member here. I would be interested in sharing an apartment with you.
    Please let me know if you are interested.
    I am an international student, 23 yrs old.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you
    Sujal

10. seatales

Hello,
    Please let me know more about this place (where is it situated exactly, whats the basic rent +facilities+utilities etc etc)
    I am an international student, 23 yrs old female doctoral researcher.

Thank you

Sujal

11. jenhoustonRN

Your bedroom and full bath would be on the first floor in my townhouse. I could have it furnished or not. I have another female roommate who works in the energy business downtown. We are both very clean. It is located in an area called midtown. It is 3 blocks over and 2 blocks up to the light rail station. It's a 5-7 min drive into the medical center. Unfurnished rent would be $550 plus 1/3 of bills. We have cable/phone/internet.

How long are you going to be in town? Will you have a car?

Here is a link to a map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=La+Branch+St+%26+Tuam+St,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77004,+United+States&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.099308,70.488281&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=29.741501,-95.371242&spn=0.083914,0.137672&z=13&om=1

12. seatales

13. jenhoustonRN

July is good. I feel very safe in the area and that was my first concern when picking the area. Are you currently in the houston area or will be here in the next month or two so that you may take a look?

14. tum

tum don't call it a comeback
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    has anyone heard anything about the spires, versailles, ventana, or any of the other medical complexes?

btw, one thing my realtor told me about condoland, is that apparently md anderson bought out part of some sort of army base and will be establishing some sort of outpatient clinic there. he thinks it will help the value of the properties. again, he might just be looking for his 3% but just thought i'd throw it in.

my understanding is that baylor's new hospital will be a little east of the current set up, just short of where the spires is currently.

15. pegs

Medical Student
    can you send me an email if you are still looking. i am a nursing student looking for an aprtment.
    thanks
    peggy campbell