Uh Oh - a crime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildTumor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I once got a ticket for taking up two seats on a NYC Subway at 2:30 in the morning. The police told me that it is the equivalent of a parking ticket.
Must I list this on applications?

(Btw, anyone else get crazy tickets?)

Members don't see this ad.

WildTumor said:
I once got a ticket for taking up two seats on a NYC Subway at 2:30 in the morning. The police told me that it is the equivalent of a parking ticket.

u shoulda been like hey man these bad boys gotta breathe.

Robizzle said:
I think parking tickets are are considered "moving violations" so probably in the same boat as a traffic ticket, which are not necessary to report at most schools. I'd call anonymously and check with your schools before you fill out secondaries though, as telling them you got a ticket for taking up 2 seats on a subway is almost laughably small, but I know they're pretty stringent if they think you were trying to cover it up or something.

P.S. They really gave you a ticket for that? Man, did you look at the cop the wrong way, or wearing a sport's jersey of a team he didn't like or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Parking tickets aren't even moving violations. I think only in extreme circumstances can you have your license suspended (although this might be changing) for failing to pay a parking ticket, whereas this si the consequence for failing to respond to nearly every moving violation (i.e. speeding ticket, etc.)

OP: If your violation is truly the equivalent of a parking ticket, you need not disclose it.

It was 2:30 in the morning and i was out with friends. We were the only people on the train and one stop before the final one this cop gets on and starts yelling at me to get off the train. I tried explaining that THERE WAS NOBODY ELSE ON THE TRAIN SO WHO CARES HOW MANY SEATS I USE?????????

Darn police quotas

RDood said:
I think parking tickets are are considered "moving violations" so probably in the same boat as a traffic ticket, which are not necessary to report at most schools.

I thought parking tickets were non-moving violations since, well, if you're parked you aren't moving... If I'm right, you almost definitly don't need to worry about it - very few schools, from my experience, even make you report moving violations, and I'm not sure that there are any that require non-moving. I suppose it still couldn't hurt to call and check, though :) Someone let me know if I'm wrong about this!

Robizzle said:

UGH! I suffered the NYC subway for two years and that was my pet peeve. :laugh: All I could think was "Unless you have some massive testicular tumor, close your %#@% legs!"

foofish said:
UGH! I suffered the NYC subway for two years and that was my pet peeve. :laugh: All I could think was "Unless you have some massive testicular tumor, close your %#@% legs!"

Yeah - but there was nobody else on the train!!!!!!!1

id just disclose it, its hilarious, and no school will hold anything against you

You don't have to list it. I've gotten numerous parking ticket over the years and nobody has asked me a thing.

WildTumor said:

That's fine...my beef is with the guys who do it during rush hour (and usually with a pregnant woman and a 90-year old guy with a cane and squashed together standing right in front of him).

Yeah, so to repeat what someone else asked, what'd you do to piss those cops off? :laugh:

Seriously, though, schools usually specify whether they consider something like a parking ticket an offense that needs to be reported...and even if they do want to know, they're not going to deny you admission over something like this.

are u sure u weren't drunk and passed out on two seats? ;)

I'd list it because its so f*cking hilarious; it would also make great small talk in an interview

Haha...my campus has stolen 300 bucks from me on parking tickets...stupid 75 dollar fine

RDood said:
I think parking tickets are are considered "moving violations" so probably in the same boat as a traffic ticket, which are not necessary to report at most schools. I'd call anonymously and check with your schools before you fill out secondaries though, as telling them you got a ticket for taking up 2 seats on a subway is almost laughably small, but I know they're pretty stringent if they think you were trying to cover it up or something.

P.S. They really gave you a ticket for that? Man, did you look at the cop the wrong way, or wearing a sport's jersey of a team he didn't like or something?

"Moving Violations" are called that for a reason...its because you're moving. A parking ticket is not a moving violation, nor does any med school care about it.

WildTumor said:

WTF??!!! I can't believe you got a ticket for that!

Lol -sorry but this is funny.
Yet its a lesson: next time I'm on the subway I will make sure to only use one seat!

I hope you're not serious...

WildTumor said:

WildTumor said:

maybe the cop thought you or your friends were being obnoxious, and wanted to slap you with something.

MahlerROCKS said:
I'd list it because its so f*cking hilarious; it would also make great small talk in an interview

same.