Uh oh...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompi90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've been doing research at my university with a professor who is a great guy (I may need to ask him for med school recs), but the research isnt too interesting for me. When he asked me if I wanted to continue, I didn't want to seem rude and signed up for research next semester. Truth is, that I really like the research another professor is doing and want to be a part of his lab and unfortunatley both labs are in the department. How do I do this without coming out as a royal ******bag?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't want to seem rude and signed up for research next semester.

Dude, you signed up for a WHOLE SEMESTER of doing something you really don't want to do because you might "seem rude"? (this sounds like a slippery slope to getting married to someone because you're afraid to hurt their feelings....be careful!)

Life is short and you should spend it doing what you want to do. If you have the opportunity to still switch and work in the other lab, you should do it. Just apologize to the first professor and tell him you have a change of plans. You can always get a rec letter from the new guy.

blame schedule
or shifting interest

Members don't see this ad :)
let me restate. I like the research I am doing, but I like the research this other prof. is doing MORE, a lot more.

hey red10, you are SO funny, man I just wish I could be as cool as you...

let me restate. I like the research I am doing, but I like the research this other prof. is doing MORE, a lot more.

That's not really what you said earlier. You made it sound like you were bored with your current research.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to matter whose lab you worked in; to adcoms, research is research. However, breaking your commitment might sabotage your chance to get a good letter from the prof you're currently working under. You shouldn't have made a commitment to something you didn't want to do; unless you are just incredibly bored to tears with your current research, I'd honor that commitment.

that's not really what you said earlier. You made it sound like you were bored with your current research.

Honestly, i don't think it's going to matter whose lab you worked in; to adcoms, research is research. However, breaking your commitment might sabotage your chance to get a good letter from the prof you're currently working under. You shouldn't have made a commitment to something you didn't want to do; unless you are just incredibly bored to tears with your current research, i'd honor that commitment.

troof.

so i've been doing research at my university with a professor who is a great guy (I may need to ask him for med school recs), but the research isnt too interesting for me. When he asked me if I wanted to continue, I didn't want to seem rude and signed up for research next semester. Truth is, that I really like the research another professor is doing and want to be a part of his lab and unfortunatley both labs are in the department. How do I do this without coming out as a royal ******bag?

Word will get around that you abandoned him for another and that won't look good. Not good at all.