UHCO vs SUNY vs PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflowerfield

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding between UHCO SUNY and PCO. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each school? Also, do most people end up practicing where they graduate? I'd appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been admitted to UHCO for the coming cycle, and I've worked with multiple OD's that have graduated from UHCO and here's what I can tell you with regards to my impressions of the college:

With regards to clinical experience, you start working in the clinic the 2nd semester of your 2nd year, so you're going to be getting a lot of hands on experience. The school hires associate professors to teach clinicals because they would like professors that run their own private practice to train the students to be prepared for the types of situations they would be placed in after graduation. The OD that I work for teaches 3rd year clinic students and I would say that he is the type of OD that I would like to learn from when I get there.

With regards to research, they just opened up a new building in collaboration with ophthalmologists from Texas medical schools that will be utilized for all future classes starting this coming year. The product of the new building has yet to be seen, but I anticipate that the results will be favorable. Additionally, they give you the option your 2nd year to apply for the OD/Ph.D program if you really enjoy research. The OD that I'm working for would do paid research over the summer when he was in school, so I'm assuming that research is alive and kicking.

With regards to cost, if you're in state, it's pretty cheap around $20,000 a year (not including living expenses). If you're out of state and your grades are good, they'll usually offer you a waiver that brings the tuition down to in state prices.

As a 3rd yr student at UHCO, I DEFINITELY recommend PCO or SUNY over UHCO. Wish I went to PCO when I had the chance. UHCO does NOT care about their students, just their $$. The higher administrators are elder and stuck in their ways. Not very helpful or friendly towards students. Not all the staff and professors are this way, but the ones with the decision-making powers are. It's all about impressing the medical community and strengthening the research here. Not much thought goes towards the students. Just compare the curriculi between the schools and you'll see. We get 1 full summer off after our 1st year, just so 6-7 students can do full time research. During that time, we could be taking classes or shadowing in clinics, rather than dumping all the heavy classes into 3rd year when we are preparing for boards. I could go on and on. Optometry school isn't easy, no doubt, but it's just sooo obvious how much the administrators don't care about students. Overall, I suggest PCO or SUNY or SCO or any other school than UHCO. Better education up north anyway. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to PCO, and I would not recommend it. I believe that it was once a very good school, but it is not up to par these days. They tried to expand the school too quickly with the other programs, and the quality really suffered. A lot of the equipment that we use (labs, computers, machines) is outdated and breaks too often. Some professors have been here so long that they are just way out of touch, and their notes are really ambiguous, which leads to a lot of wasted time and searching on your own for the information. And I didn't even get into their ridiculous academic policies. Fail one class and re-do a year? It just screams of a money making scheme. And I say this as someone who has always done fine academically. Also, the average OAT and board scores are nothing to write home about. I really wish that I had looked into other schools, and I regret coming here.

Not sure what year you're in, but I have to agree. Salus has organizational problems and a lack of updated equipment. I am amazed at the lack of care that the administration shows for its students. I also regret that I chose this school. My friends who are in other medical professions don't have anything like the kinds of complaints that I have about my school. It's a shame because there are a lot of good people associated with this school, but it needs some major improvements.

I go to suny and am almost finished. <COME HERE>

in state tuition after first year = 45k off the top of the total cost, covers any extra rent payments for manhattan.

Live in queens, save your money.

New student activity center, fitness center, practice lab.

HIGHEST NATIONAL BOARDS PASS RATES. (best education)
MOST DIVERSE PATIENT POPULATION (best education)

and a transitioning/YOUNG teaching staff, NEW and awesome student affairs dean, strong research background, and improving OD/MS program...

plus manhattan is the shiz.

I go to suny and am almost finished. <COME HERE>

in state tuition after first year = 45k off the top of the total cost, covers any extra rent payments for manhattan.

Live in queens, save your money.

New student activity center, fitness center, practice lab.

HIGHEST NATIONAL BOARDS PASS RATES. (best education)
MOST DIVERSE PATIENT POPULATION (best education)

and a transitioning/YOUNG teaching staff, NEW and awesome student affairs dean, strong research background, and improving OD/MS program...

plus manhattan is the shiz.

Hey! Im going to start at SUNY this year. Just wondering if you live in queens & if so, what part and how long is the commute? Also, is the area safe? Thanks!