UHS 3rd & 4th Year Rotations...I HAVE QUESTIONS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabe_doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am looking for any UHS-COM students who know where the 3rd & 4th year clinical rotations are held and how those sites are dealt to the students. Are students able to stay in a single city to do their rotations or do they have to move city to city during the year to finish rotations? If anybody knows please post the answers!

I am applying to UHS-COM and am curious, as I do not want to be travelling all around the state or nation while my wife is in Kansas City.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Boy, long subject, but there it goes!

You do not have to travel all over to do your rotations. In the past there were "traveling groups", and the participating students would do rotations in several different places within a geographic region. This is not the case anymore. If you are in the Kansas City group, for instance, you do all your rotations in KC, unless you choose to do some of your electives elsewhere. Not every rotation is at the same hospital, but they are all in the KC area. The same is true for the other rotations sites (the St. Louis group does all their rotations in St. Louis, ans so forth), although some places may have affiliates which are rather far from the main hospital. One of my classmates, who is going to NJ, may have to do some of her rotations in a hospital which is about 2 hrs from her main site, but this is the exception rather than the norm. Some of the more rural sites may include 2 hospitals which are also located a couple of hours away from one another. It is a matter of where you choose to go. Several places will have housing, but you have to request it well in advance.

Now on to the subject of "how to choose a rotation site". It is a lottery. You fill out a paper with your 3 choices; everyone's choice is entered into a computer program which tries to match the most students with their top choice. The majority of students gets their first choice, a small % gets their second choice and about 20 students or so have ended up "unmatched" in the past 2 years. The school works with the "unmatched" students trying to find mutually satisfactory sites. It is also possible to "trade" sites. For instance, if I got a site in Florida and I actually wanted Michigan as my first choice, I can trade with someone who wants to go to Florida but ended up with their second choice, Michigan.

Every year, there are about 65 openings in the Kansas City group. This year we had an unofficial estimate of about 80 people who wanted KC as their first choice.

Everyone I talked to was happy, at the end, with the site they received, but there are no waranties and the school makes no promises as to where you will end up doing your rotations. It is my understanding that the process hasn't always been very smooth in years past, but my own experience, so far, has been positive.

I am staying in KC for my rotations, which start in 3 weeks (hurrah, I can't believe that the first 2 years are behind me!). If you have any more questions about rotations or UHS in general, feel free to ask.

I have another question. Are both 3rd and 4th year rotations in the same city or do you have to change cities (or groups) after your 3rd year?

thanks for such an in depth reply to my previous question. I feel much better about UHS as a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your questions may best be answered by someone in the student rotations office or whatever that department is called now. Get on the UHS web site and perhaps you should give them a call.

You do not have to change locations between the 3rd and 4th year, unless you choose to do your electives elsewhere. If you are planning on applying to a residency program in another location, it is a good idea to try to do an elective there, for instance.

For site avaliability, your best bet, as ewagner suggested, is to contact the school, as some sites might be avaliable one year and not the next and, conversely, new sites might be in the works. I think the Kansas City site will be always avaliable, for obvious reasons
smile.gif