UHS Apartments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TP

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I was wondering if any uhs students or K.C residents can give me some advice on housing in the area. I'm trying to find a two bedroom apt. and i already looked through the apt rent magazine and the housing packet uhs sent. I'm out of state so all these apts are pretty much the same to me. I can't separate one from another. Can anyone suggest some good apts which i should look into. So far, bennington ridge stands out in my mind but it's kinda expensive. i want to find an apt. in a good area. I heard that north of the river is pretty good. Also, how bad is traffic in the morning to uhs? I would like to be close to school. Any advice will be much appreciated.
-tommy

Members don't see this ad.

I loved living in <River Market Apts.> 0.7 miles from uhs and beautiful! I had studio for $400/mo. which is only $10 more than the disgusting Univ. Tower. Apts there have charm and are unique. Basement gym, laundry, etc. 2BR's were in $600+ range but huge. Neighborhood is very near downtown but safe (maybe due to historic Mafia district status). Bldgs are restored factories and warehouses with exposed brick interior walls. High ceilings Park and awesome farmers' market within spitting distance. I also lived in N. K.C. (Gladstone, MO) at Kendalwood Apts., which were nice but bland and did not offer the proximity to school, restaurants, parks, meeting places, etc. that the market area did. No, I'm not a rep. for the River Mkt. Apts but I absolutely loved living there. Recommend highly!

Sorry-the name of the Apt. complex mentioned above is<river market Apartments> I don't have their phone number on hand. - Ave

Members don't see this ad :)
OK one more try: the apts are RIVER MARKET APARTMENTS. Apparently the computer did not like me using the angled parenthases around the name. -A

Thanks for the reply uhs99. How is the neighborhood downtown? Is it similar to the neighborhood surrounding uhs? What about the parking situation and is it safe for your car? I heard that downtown is really noisy.

Hey TP...Do you currently live in a city comparable to KC? In the burbs? If you are used to traffic noise, then downtown or Westport (more expensive) areas would be great. Lots of activity and close to school. But I have a few friends that live in the lofts down there, and even though they have a lot of style, you would get a lot more for you money living north of the river or even down by KU (lots of houses that have been split into apartments down there). As long as you don't go too far north, the morning drive into school is about 10-15 minutes (5 minutes when driving back from the library at 12:30 in the morning
smile.gif
Plus there are shortcuts. Anyway, I lived in Walnut Creek for a while, very nice 'busines class' type living...kind of expensive (530 for a one bedroom) and not for me. I got a roomie and moved into a three floor townhome at Timberline, we each pay 355 and have plenty of space to stay away from eachother during test weeks! They are reonovating each unit as it turns over, so most all have new everything. I have another friend that lived in Sunny Hills, also just north of the river, very large apartments for the money and most have been redone. All of these places are very close to a beatuiful park and North KC, a very quaint little adjunct to KC major. Rumor has it that it is where the bulk of the KC mafia once 'did business'! Anyway, if you need more info let me know. Also you should have been assigned a big brother/sister, call him/her, it's the best way to not get stuck with something you'll regret!

Take care,
Allison MSII UHS

Univ Tower "disgusting"? Don't you think that's a bit
harsh? Although I don't live there, I have friends that
do and it's not bad at all!

I live at Walnut Creek, and, like Alison said, it's pretty expensive. The aparments are nice, depending on what you're used to. Lots of trees. It's quiet, for the most part. Timberline is more family oriented, I think. But Bennington Ridge is a lot farther from school than you might think. And it's jam packed with UHS students. I wouldn't go any further north than Parvin Rd., however. Westport and downtown are great if that's what you're used to, though it does take a bit more legwork to find a good place there.

Hi UHS people,
My duplex is on I-29 and Barry Road I think it is a really nice area, about a 15min drive to school. I will be arriving there in 2 weeks. One relator I found extremely helpful is Debra Shaffer with Apt & Rental Connections phone # 800-569-5955 or e.mail at [email protected] Although I did not rent through her, but through a private owner I found in the KCity Star, I found her to be quite responsive to my needs. She also videotapes each of the apts/condos/houses etc. so you can view them before going to the area. As many people have told me it is best to be North of the river, although I know a lot of people who live in Lee's Summit and like the area (very nice but the drives's a bit longer).
Please feel free to e.mail any questions, to [email protected] I will have this e.mail until June 25th after which I will be in KCity.

Good luck
smile.gif
Diane

------------------