UHS Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the earliest turn around time between completion of the secondary application and an interview offer? Thanks for any info you can give me.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was given an interview invitation less than one week after I was notified that my file was complete. Good Luck!

I was invited to interview about a week after being complete. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd add to this. Once you go to your interview it will only take 3 to 7 days to receive word of acceptance, waitlist, etc. Believe me that is nice!

Let me know if you have further questions about interviewing at UHS. I'd love to help out in any way possible.

Good luck!

HI Anna,
do you know how many people they accept out of the people they interview initially? I am wondering the general odds after receiving an interview? Did you chose UHS right after you were accepted, or did you look into other schools? Is the interview open or closed? Thanks for your help! I'll be interviewing there in a few weeks:)

Osteopeddoc--
If you have been granted an interview, you are over the biggest hurdle. The interview is very relaxed and laid back. You will be interviewed by two faculty members or a faculty and a physician. My interview I was hardly asked any medical questions, mostly stuff off my secondary app.

Just be yourself. They generally accept 220-40, depending on the applicant pool. We have 230 in our class this year.

I was accepted at UHS and waitlisted at DMU so I went ahead and took the UHS seat. I am so glad that I did. The school is great, the people are awesome and the education is super.

Email me if you have any other questions. Oh, I would stay with a student the night before the interview. Number one, it is free. Number two, you get a chance to ask anything you want to, and get a student's perspective of medical school. I did and I am so glad I did. Plus you will already know someone in the upper class for the next year.

Peace out

Chris

I have to agree with DrChris33. UHS doesn't get alot of recognition among the Kansas City medical schools, and even in the Osteopathic community for that matter, but it's an excellent school because of its high quality teaching staff. In terms of the application process, if you've received an interview, you're practically in (90% of those that get interviewed receive the letter of acceptance). Uhmm...some of the questions that they asked me during my interview: Why osteopathic medicine? How would you cope with the high stress of med school? What's your position on human cloning? How would you handle a situation where a sexually active teenager comes to your clinic and asks for contraceptives? I think those were some of the big ones they have asked me. Again, relax, answer truthfully (because they can see through lies), and get to know the other interviewee's because you'll definitely meet alot of them when school starts up in August. Hope that this helps ya's.

I applied to UHS and my file has been complete since July, yet they still have not granted me an interview. I am wondering what is wrong. My science cum is a 3.1, undergrad is 3.36, and masters in public health is 3.88. Plus 3 years of work experience in public health and tons of volunteer stuff. MCAT is : 9BS, 8VR, 6PS, WS was a Q. They said I am in the qualified pool when i called the admissions. I know there are people with my stats and even lower MCATs who have gotten in in the past and even interviewing now. So I am wondering is it just a matter of time?

Hmmm

I just got an interview with a 3.5 science, 3.8 overal, tons of experience with D.O's, unique extracurriculars, and a TERRIBLE MCAT score!

osteopeddoc--

It looks like my two classmates did a great job of answering your questions. I have put together a (slightly long) email that I've been sending to some interested students. I have sent that to your email address. It should give you a little better of an idea about the school and my experiences. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

njdesi--

I would not worry. Your numbers are definitely good. I would, however, not sit quietly and wait. Let the admissions office know you're interested and that you just want to make sure your file is current and ready to proceed forward. Don't worry too much--UHS interviews through June and July. I didn't interview until February. Good job for being on your toes though.

Keep up the good work, guys! I know it's tough going through the application and interview process, but it will all pay off one day! Remember to always know and have a very vivid picture in your mind of why you want to be a physician. This will come in handy when you're a med school student and wonder why you're spending all your time studying. :)

One other thing--did you get a letter of recommendation from a DO?? It isn't a mandatory thing but I know they look very highly on it. If you didn't, do your best to find a DO. More than likely you'd be able to just call one up and tell them that you're interested in following in their footsteps. They'd probably love to meet up with you and chit chat about what you've done and where your plans lie then write a quick letter. Just be sure to give them a good resume and goals statement for them to use.

Just a thought.