UHS Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaAlum

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I have decided to attend UHS this fall. I didn't see this topic yet, so I thought I would post it for everyone who will be headed to Kansas City this fall. I am looking forward to hearing from my future classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi BamaAlum,

I'm pretty sure I've decided on UHS for next year, too... I just found out I was accepted this morning and I'm really excited about it! :D

Solie,

I have an interview there coming up and am pretty excited about the school? how do they notify you via phone or mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! I got in in October, but have yet to hear of others. I'll be flying out to KC to look for housing in the Spring.

I have also decided to attend UHS this fall and I am really excited. Solie, I see that you are from Toronto. I think that we may have interviewed together on the 5th. I hope that I will see you in the fall.

Hey Lulu,
Good to see that we have some southerners heading to UHS. Did anybody hear anything about the new core rotation sites they are adding. I saw on their website that they now have core sites In Gulfport, MS and Clarksdale, MS. They also have added some sites in other areas as well. I am pumped about the possiblity of doing my clerkships in Gulfport, only about 2.5 hours from where I grew up. I am not counting my chicks before they hatch, though.

Hi Everyone,

I interviewed on Dec. 5-- like a couple other people. I'm going. I'm looking for housing in the meantime. Congrats to everyone--

Hi wsu--

They notified me by mail...but that might be because I'm living all the way up here in Canada.
Other schools I've been accepted at didn't call me either, but were apparantly calling other people (who live in the US).

But, if you call them about a week or so after your interview, I'm sure they'd be happy to let you know over the phone.
I just like the whole suspense thing of waiting for the mail! :) Actually, I was too nervous to call them because I didn't think my interview went all that well--at least not as well as my other ones.
Good luck on your interview! I'm sure you'll love the school. And the new curriculum seems really innovative...It's apparantly based on a system developed by the med school at the University of Calgary (go Canada!) :)

Hi lulu2smiles--
Were you one of the people in my shuttle from the hotel?? Actually, that would only narrow it down to two people, so it doesn't help much. But I'm sure I enjoyed meeting you--I had a great time that day! Everyone I met was so great!
:) Congrats on your acceptance!

BamaAlum--
I haven't heard anything about those new sites. It's good to know that there will be more sites in MO for the people who want to stay there. I think there were only 60 last year??

Is anyone considering moving into the new place across the street?? I think I'll end up there. It seems really convenient. I've heard the area's not the best, but I've lived in some bad areas before. Plus, I heard that a police command station is moving into the first couple of floors of the building. That should help keep the area safe.

Hey there,
I am Mark, the internet ambassador for UHS. If you have any questions about UHS or the area or where to love or what to do or anything let me know. I try to check the boards as much as possible.

Hi Mark (mmcnemar2004),

Do you know how we can get a look at UHS's match list for 2001? I'd love to see it.
Thanks! :)

Hey mark,

any suggestions for the interview? i've already read the stuff on interviewfeedback.com and reviewed my file.

Hey Solie,
I have the match stats for the class of 2001. They gave us a graduate medical education report when we interviewed. I would be more than happy to post it if your interested. Since I am at my parents house for the holidays it might be a couple of days before I can get my hands on it, though. Happy Holidays to everyone.

Congratulations on everyone's acceptances and decision to come to UHS for your medical education! I'm currently a MS1 and just completed my first semester a couple of days ago. It was a great semester, although pretty difficult, but hey, that's med school. We just completed the Skin, Blood, and Lymph section, which is the second hardest section of the genesis curriculum (second only to Neuroanatomy, which the MS2s are currently in). It was pretty rough, but I think I did fine- we'll see when grades are posted after break! For all of you who are wondering about the new curriculum, I think it's great! That was one of the major selling points for me to go there and luckily, it has really worked out for me. The way it works: they start the section out with the basic histology, anatomy, physiology, OMT, etc. lectures and then the more "specific" lectures are presented- i.e., pharm, immuno, and guest lectures. Scheme presentations are given throughout the section, along with pathology. Oh yeah, I'm sure you've all heard about pathology, right? We have one of the best pathologists in the world (and I am not overestimating just to sell the school mind you). He went to med school at Northwestern (his name is Edward Friedlander, MD, ERF for short) and taught pathology at UMKC and then came to UHS. If you are interested, I recommend going to his website <a href="http://www.pathguy.com" target="_blank">www.pathguy.com</a> and checking it out. Beware, though, you might get scared. Pathology is a very, very difficult course and the website has all of our lectures, along with thousands of path pictures, other websites, literature, and his skydiving experiences, so please do not get too overwhelmed when looking at it. I would venture a guess that we are trained in pathology about as good as it gets (look at our board scores). Anyways, the first semester is pretty overwhelming because I can't stress enough- med school is NOT college. I used to post on SDN all of the time last year but I don't have any time to do it this year (the only reason I'm posting now is because I'm on break). Please develop and/or think of ways to refine your study habits before you start class next year. Remember- you CAN NOT get thru med school on your own (unless you're an absolute genius and even then I don't think you could do it). You will have to form and take part in study groups in order to survive. This isn't college where you can do everything on your own and pass with flying colors. There is SO much information, but don't fret, you can do it. By the way, if anyone tells you that you have to learn ALL of the material, they're telling you a fib- it's impossible! The most important advice that I could give to you, the class of 2006 is, enjoy the rest of this year because late next summer your life will definetly change (for the better, I hope). Take care and I'm sure I'll meet some of you next summer!

Nathan Box
UHS 2005

Members don't see this ad :)
About the match list, when I get back to UHS I will post the list up on this topic. (ie I can't remember all of them). That is if they don't beat me to it.
When interviewing, make sure to know about osteopathic philosophies and be able to give a good application of osteopathic manipulation. Just a hint, I wouldn't use back pain. I say rib raising for pneumonia. Anything else?

Did anyone else get the video yet? Apparantly it's waiting for me at home, but I won't be there til next week sometime. What's it about?

Hey Solie,
The video is the exact same one that we saw when we interviewed. No biggy. It is mainly for you to show to your family so they can see how great UHS is. :) Hope everyone is having a great New Year so far!

Hi again mmcnemar2004!

I've got another question for you, if you don't mind--actually it's for anyone who knows!

I was wondering about how the 3rd and 4th year rotations are set up. I know there are certain core rotations that have to be done at specific sites affiliated with the school, but do we set up the other ones (electives) ourselves? Can they be done anywhere we'd like, or must they be done at specific sites/states as well?

Also, with the core rotations, can we choose where we'd like to go, given the options, or is it completely by lottery?

Thanks for your help! :)

(I am mmcnemar2004 answering on a friends sign-in)
You are right about the core sights, our third year is started and finished in our core site. That site is determined by a lottery. It works like this: They give you a form where you fill in your top three choices. Then, they put everyone in the computer, and randomly draw out names to fill the spots. If you are drawn they try to match you at your first spot. If it is filled they go to your second then third. If you don't match then they give a new list of those spots remaining. They are not sure how they are going to handle the unmatched people this year. i.e. a differnet match with those who didn't match, or first come first serve. Also there is an early match for MEDCON. These are six sites where UHS has internships and residencies. A lot of people match early and leave some good spots open for other students. Fourth year is a toss up. It may change by the time you get there, however, currently it is the students responsibility go set up the fourth year rotations. THIS IS REALLY COOL. You get to go to so many places that you want to do your residency. The networking opportunities are great. The Office for Clinical education has changed hands recently and there will be more defined rules in the future. They work real hard to make you happy. Hope this helped.
Mark

Thanks Mark...that's exactly what I was wondering. :)

And you're right--I think setting up our own rotations in 4th year is really cool, too. I've heard some students complain about having to do this (at other schools I've interviewed at), but I think it's a great opportunity to pretty much explore where you'd eventually like to end up in a residency, rather than being stuck somewhere you know you don't want to be.

I'm really excited about it, now, and hopefully it'll stay just as flexible by the time I'm in 4th year!

Hey everyone,
Has anyone received anything about financial aid yet? I am filling out the FAFSA right now, but I was wondering if the school would send us anything about financial aid.

Wow! I'm so glad I happened upon this post. I'm going to be interviewing at UHS on January 28. Are any of you future interviewees going that day? I'd love to have an idea of who would be there.

I enjoyed reading all the posts from those who have chosen UHS. I was smiling as I read where everyone is from and thinking I could possibly end up knowing you all.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice you're giving for the interviews and beyond.

Is the rule for the acceptance fee fourteen days after acceptance set in stone? What do you do if you haven't heard much from all the other schools?

I was also just wondering what the typical schedule is for a first year student at UHS.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi! I am flying out from Virginia to interview on the 28th, too!
I am staying with family in the KC area. I am a "non-trad" and very excited to see the school. I have heard many great things about it.
Any others out there interviewing that weekend?

Let me add a bit about setting up 4th year rotations. Though, initially it may be seen as "cool" or advantageous...it is actually quite a pain. You also get the distinct feeling that you are "on your own" with very little help or back up. You do ALL of the leg work and make ALL the calls. Some universities are open to having a DO rotate there, and others make it far more difficult...considering UHS is not well known in the world of medicine. There are HUGE benefits to having a campus medical center...HUGE benefits.
But, it does work out, and the more determined the individual and more willing to do things on his/her own, the better the result.

Hello future classmates! I actually got accepted two years ago, but through an incredible series of complications, I had to delay matriculation until 2002. I'm hoping to contact some potential roomates through this website. I've already spoken to one possible (I guess that's you, Fiesty). Anyone else interested? To answer somebody's question, I got notified by mail right around the time the school said I would receive the answer. Well, I can't wait to meet all of you in person next summer!

Hey Thomas,
Congratulations on getting accepted. I am also interested in finding a roommate. I'd like to talk to you about it.

Hey,
When's everyone planning on going to Kansas City to find a place to live? I was thinking about going in late March. I know we still have a while but I was just wondering(and trying to keep our topic near the top! :)

In reply to BamaAlum's question: That's why I'm trying to locate possible roomates as early as possible. If my work allows, I would like to hunt for a place to live in March-April, but I probably won't get a chance. I've heard some second-hand accounts from some people, and read some stuff on the internet, but I'd really like to talk to someone who knows first hand where a good place is to live. Since I may not get a chance to see my future home in person, I'll probably have to rely on other people's scouting reports.

<a href="http://www.forrent.com" target="_blank">www.forrent.com</a>
call or email the admissions office and ask them to send you some info on Century Towers, the building opening across the street form the school.

electra

call or email the admissions office and ask them to send you some info on Century Towers, the building opening across the street form the school.

electra

electra

electra

I'm guessing many of us have received the letter about Century Towers. Does anyone have any more information about this place? The letter I received seemed a bit scant, other than details of the leasing agreement.

Has anyone received the financial aid packet from UHS? I was totally confused by it.

Hi Thomas (or anyone else for that matter!)

When did you receive the letter from Century Towers regarding the leasing agreement? I've been waiting for something like that to come along, cuz I want to get that all straightened out. The only thing I've received from UHS so far is the package of forms for immunizations and stuff.

Solie,
I received the Century Towers leasing agreement after I called them and expressed interest in living there. Just call them and they will send it to you. The packet does not come from the school.

Thanks lulu2smiles...I'll do just that! :D

Does anyone else have kids? I have a son who is going to be 12 next week. The reason I ask is that I want to find a good place to live...good neighborhood, good schools, etc., but still be fairly close to UHS & reasonably priced. Does anyone have any ideas? (Oh, and add an 80 pound dog & 2 cats! :rolleyes: )

Hi Tammy, I have school aged kids,too. I looked at quite a few different places while I was there for my interview. I heard north KC /Mo side is good and has good schools. Other than that go Kansas side. Overland park, Shawnee, and Leawood in KS are all nice. but more expensive than Mo side. I understand that KS school system is better than Mo, too. I am going to go out there to look again, but have a house in VA to sell first. I really loved UHS and am excited to go. I just wish it was not so expensive!
Good luck and keep us all posted on good places to live. I want to be close to other students! I saw a lot of students working in groups on the interview so it would be a good idea to not be too far away!

UHS Class of 20006,

I was informed that my application to the UHS qualifies, but they haven't invited me for an interview yet. What are my chances if I heard this from the admissions office? doc2b34

PS-I'm already accepted to TUCOM(very excited) for class of 2006, but wanted to go to UHS because it was highly recommended by my osteopathic family physician.

Does anyone know what the rent is for a one- or two-bedroom apt's at Century Towers?

Thanks!

I actually have an answer to my own question and thought I share it with anyone interested.

One Bedroom: $520/mo.
Two Bedroom: $720/mo.
Large Two Bedroom: $890/mo.

Deposit: $175
Application Fee: $30

Has anyone had the chance to visit Century Towers yet? If so, let me know what you think of it. I know that they are now allowing visitors, but I have not had the chance to get back to Kansas City.

Future Classmates,
I'm visiting KC this weekend to check out some of the housing options. I'll try to get as much of a look as I can on Century Towers. If anyone else wants to know something about another housing option, just give me the address before Friday morning and I shall make every attempt to check it out. Once again, I can't wait to meet all of you in August!

Class of 2006,

I was able to tour Century Towers this weekend. Here is my assessment. The rooms look well equipped, and the building shows promise of being really nice with all sorts of great amenities once its finished. Its not quite finished, so if you visit in the near future, you might have to use your imagination a little. That being said, though, I should point out that the rooms are a little tight. If you are not coming straight from college and you have grown accustomed to having more space, Century Towers might be too small for you. Plus, if you plan to have more than two roomates, I don't think there is enough room. And, I had a closer look at the neighborhood. Although I know nothing about the relative safety of the area, from an asthetic point of view, its not too nice.

I thought I'd throw in my two-cents worth of information. I've been reading through past posts of UHS students, and many of them talk about Bennington Place. One post said that approximately 40% of UHS students live there. The prices of these apartments range from $625 for a 1/bd on up. Hope this helps anyone.

PS- I made my final decision yesterday, and I am going to attend UHS! :clap:

I checked out Bennington Ridge Apts while I was in KC as well. Obviously, its not right across the street like Century Towers, but it only took me 11 minutes to drive from there to the school during mid-day traffic. Plus, its in a much better area- sort of secluded but not isolated. The apartments looked pretty nice, and while they are bigger than Century Towers, they are exactly huge either. One big covenience I saw, though- washer and dryer in every apartment!

Thomas,
Do you know how many square feet the one-bedrooms are in Century Towers?

Hey guys--

I was at UHS interviewing today. We were the first group of students to go to Century Towers. We talked with the builders, etc. and ate lunch there. I'm going to try to give you as much info as I can.

It will open in July and if you want to go visit you can look at the two bedroom room, all the common areas, etc.

Just wait until you walk inside--it's so modern! And definitely all decked out!! You wouldn't be able to tell that it was a hosptital and the rooms are former hospital rooms. The decor is very brightly colored--color everywhere. There's lots of silver. That's the only way I can explain it and that doesn't do it justice at all.

It will offer fenced and gated parking areas. There will be a video monitoring system for safety recording 24 hours a day for safety. There will be a card key entry system. This card will also allow access to the 24 hour lounge, study library, and work out room. The entry for your visitors will be operated through your telephone. If you subscribe to Time Warner Cable, you will also be able to see your visitors on the designated cable channel.

The west side of the building will be occupied by various city offices, police, fire marshal, ems, etc.

There are over 200 apartments. The options are The Metro (one bedroom), the centro (two bedroom) and The Lusso (large two bedroom--12 of these). They will not be furnished as of now. There are kitchens with a range, refrigerator, microwave, disposal, dishwasher. Road Runner internet connection will also be available. Each level has a laundry facility and a locked storage unit for every apartment.

The Commons Area contains a library area, study alcoves, some with computers, study rooms, copy machine, fax machine, and report binding equipment. There is a gym on this floor with aerobic equipment, weights, and a hot tub. The commons rooms all walk out onto a balcony. There will also be a large lounge with a big screen TV and coffee bar. There will be other areas set up outside on the lawns.

I'm sure you wonder about prices--I'd rather give you the phone number so that you can contact them and get quoted just right. 816-221-5222. There should be someone there to answer between 8 and 5, they said. I do believe that there will be good deals if you sign up early.

I hope this helps all of you. Sorry to the rest for adding such a long post. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey guys--

I was at UHS interviewing today. We were the first group of students to go to Century Towers. We talked with the builders, etc. and ate lunch there. I'm going to try to give you as much info as I can.

It will open in July and if you want to go visit you can look at the two bedroom room, all the common areas, etc.

Just wait until you walk inside--it's so modern! And definitely all decked out!! You wouldn't be able to tell that it was a hosptital and the rooms are former hospital rooms. The decor is very brightly colored--color everywhere. There's lots of silver. That's the only way I can explain it and that doesn't do it justice at all.

It will offer fenced and gated parking areas. There will be a video monitoring system for safety recording 24 hours a day for safety. There will be a card key entry system. This card will also allow access to the 24 hour lounge, study library, and work out room. The entry for your visitors will be operated through your telephone. If you subscribe to Time Warner Cable, you will also be able to see your visitors on the designated cable channel.

The west side of the building will be occupied by various city offices, police, fire marshal, ems, etc.

There are over 200 apartments. The options are The Metro (one bedroom), the centro (two bedroom) and The Lusso (large two bedroom--12 of these). They will not be furnished as of now. There are kitchens with a range, refrigerator, microwave, disposal, dishwasher. Road Runner internet connection will also be available. Each level has a laundry facility and a locked storage unit for every apartment.

The Commons Area contains a library area, study alcoves, some with computers, study rooms, copy machine, fax machine, and report binding equipment. There is a gym on this floor with aerobic equipment, weights, and a hot tub. The commons rooms all walk out onto a balcony. There will also be a large lounge with a big screen TV and coffee bar. There will be other areas set up outside on the lawns.

I'm sure you wonder about prices--I'd rather give you the phone number so that you can contact them and get quoted just right. 816-221-5222. There should be someone there to answer between 8 and 5, they said. I do believe that there will be good deals if you sign up early.

I hope this helps all of you. Sorry to the rest for adding such a long post. Feel free to ask any questions.

Solie,
I don't have the exact numbers, but I'll try to give you an extremely rough estimate based on what I saw. I'd say the common room for the smaller aparments, probably about 15x20 feet. The bedrooms, including the bathrooms and closets, were a little smaller in width. For the larger apartments, I'd say the common room was about 35(maybe even 40)x20 feet. The bedrooms looked to be the same size as for the smaller apartments.