UHS Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigKux

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know good areas in Kansas City to live? I am looking into apartments but I do not know that much about the area.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a search on this forum, it has come up often.
Century Towers across the street is convenient, but a lot like dorm life.
A lot of students live north of UHS, but they are going to be doing some major construction on the bridge next year. Traffic is already bad, it will be horrendous next year.
There is the River Market. A bit more pricey but very close to school. Lots of loft type apartments. I think they go for about $650-$700 a month.
I live by the Plaza. It is kind of noisy (close to the bar scene), but only 6 miles from school and rent is reasonable off of Roanoke Parkway ($500-$600 for a one-bedroom).
Independence has some apartments that are newer, but again I think the commute might be hairy.
Try to live as close as you can because the roads can be a mess in the winter time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a fourth year at UHS and I will tell you that most of my friends live somewhere North of the river. North of the river has some nice neighborhoods and great schools if you have kids. It is also much more affordable than living in other parts of the metro (esp. Kansas). The commute has never been a problem for me. I typically beat the morning rush in to school (good study time) and school nearly always lets out before traffic gets too heavy. I live in Gladstone, eight miles north of the school, and can easily get to and from UHS in 10-12 minutes. Liberty is a nice suburb with great school and easy access to a couple of the hospitals that most of you staying in KC will work at. It is true that there are affordable places to live around the school and downtown but I'm not sure how safe they are. Most people will tell you they haven't had any probs but I know a couple of my classmates that did have problems around the school. Brookside is a nice neighborhood. If you have a little money to spend and want to buy...Johnson County, Kansas and Lee's Summitt, MO are also good choices, but the travel time can be bad.

I've seen a couple of posts that suggest there is going to be construction on the main bridge (Paseo bridge over MO river on I-35) next year, but as far as I know that is just rumor. The bridge was actually repaved about a year ago. Nevertheless, there are several other good ways to get to UHS from the Northland.

my 2bedroom/2bath is for sale if anyone is interested:
go to realtor.com and enter MLS# 1154935

bri1856

BigKux, wanted to drop a note to a fellow Coloradoan, looks like we'll be in the '08 class together!

Hey y'all fellow UHSers,
just found out the good news so I'll see you in Kansas City in just a few months
-alex

hey guys, i am starting in august too! yay...

did u see that 1st day of orientation is like august 2nd?

anyways, i think im gonna stay at century towers, that is just toooo convienient. im IN school and single, so the dorm life really doesnt bother me... plus its a pretty nice/safe place.

everyone pretty anxious ???

hey cooldreams, congrats! just a quick piece of advice, my buddy in KC tells me that century towers is getting filled up--or reserved--very quickly, so a deposit very soon would be the way to go if you want to get in there.
CT sounds like a pretty good idea, but i'm not crazy about dorm life, still trying to look at some other arrangements. Anyone out there need a roomie for next year? let me know]
-alex

hey guys, how long after your application was complete, did you hear back for an interview invite?

Hey, Nerves,
I think it took about 2-3 months before I heard anything from UHS, quite a while. But the nice part is I knew within a week and a half after the interview. good luck

I live in Kansas City now and I live north of the river. My commute will be about 10-15 minutes. I live at Kelly Crossings apts. right now and am not planning on moving. They are quiet and a little expensive but worth it for the location.

I'm excited to start in August!!! Good luck to all!:D :D :D