1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UHS computer info

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Maire, Jul 1, 2000.

1. Maire

Maire Member
    10+ Year Member

I will be a student at UHS this fall and I am in the process of buying a laptop. Could anyone from UHS tell me if I need an ethernet card to network, or whether I just need a modem. Thanks for your help!
    Maire

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Maire,
    Just one word of advice - DELL!!!!!

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

[This message has been edited by Hskermdic (edited 07-02-2000).]

4. Maire

You may want to re-think, or at least delay your decision to buy a laptop to use at UHS. While I have heard that many students find a laptop very useful during their rotations 3rd and 4th years, I have seen maybe two people in my class (2003) use them (and that was on rare occasions). There are plenty of computers on campus to use. Connecting to the network via modem is currently not practical or useful. The IT department at UHS has been woking on this problem for some time, but most of us are not holding our breath.

There are a few laptop ports on campus (in the library, I think) and my guess is that you would need an ethernet card. You should call the IT department directly (800-234-4UHS) for specifics. Feel free to email me if you have any questions ([email protected])

Paul

5. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree with Paul, there is NO need to buy a laptop for UHS and, in reality, it will be a waste of money [​IMG] Sorry, I know how fun it is to buy new toys, Best Buy is my favorite playland...

I used my desktop a lot during these past two years. I got my school e-mail fowarded to my home e-mail account, used all the cool anatomy and histo CDs here at home, Medline and...this Board. The Micro dept. sells an awesome CD and they will also burn a Board Review CD for you for free. We used the computer a lot for QuizBank for Path, but since you are going to be under the new Genesys curriculum, things may be different for your class there. If you like using software to prepare yourself for boards, buy a desktop. If you are planning to buy a PDA down the line, you will need a computer too, to get the software for it. I could have gotten by without my own desktop, as there are plenty of computers on campus, but I like to spend time at home too.

As for rotations, carry a PDA. Where would you put a laptop?! Everytime you leave it unattended to go see a patient, it would be a temptation for someone to "borrow" it, and you certainly could not carry it on yourself all the time.

Desktops are cheaper than laptops, you can get a great one for the price you would pay for a so-so laptop, as you probably already know. And if you like to spend a lot of time at school, you don't need either.

Good luck!

6. Maire

Maire Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the advice. One of my concerns is that I will be commuting from 60 miles away, and I want to be able to use my computer both places. Also I have two other people at home using the computer, and not a whole lot of room to put in another desktop. It just seemed like it would be easier to have a computer that was just mine and that I could use both at school and at home. Do you still advise against it?
    Maire

7. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you already have a desktop at home (you mention there will be 2 people using it) consider sharing the one you already have.

Obviously this is only my opinion, but there is no way I would have taken a laptop with me to school everyday. There is no real safe place to store it, unless you store it in your locker. If I had a laptop, I would not have stored it in my locker for a couple of reasons: first year, you really need your locker to store the wonderfully smelly scrubs you are going to wear in anatomy lab [​IMG] . This year, you could actually access my locker from the locker underneath, by just giving the separation between them a hard shove, so I never stored anything of value in it.

If you need a computer while you study, bring the disks you are going to use with you and use the computer in your study room at Smith Hall. All the "physiology" study rooms at the Educational Pavillion also have computers (slower than a horsedrawn wagon, but they are there), and if you cannot get a room at either place, the library has about 10-12 computers too.

Carrying a laptop with you all day is totally impractical, not to mention outright impossible at times.

If you are really convinced you need one, wait a few weeks after classes start before you buy one, to see if you still feel the same way then.