UHS - Housing in Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RasputinDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it's pretty affordable. Just wondering if anybody on here was looking into housing or knew anything about people looking for roomates or had any other advice/comments about the area. Thanks.

Josh

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out the Class of 2008 link in the Osteopathic forum to see who is looking for a roommate.
I live a few blocks from the Plaza, one bedroom, hardwood floors, central A/C and heat with rent about $500. Most one bedrooms in the area go for about $525 to $600.
I think some of the first years will opt for a 2 bedroom at Century Towers across the street from UHS and do the roommate thing.

I am also starting at UHS in the fall. I just went to KC to check out some of the suggestions I had gotten. The apartments North of the river are all very nice and about 10-15 minutes from school. A few of them give discounts for UHS students. For example, Bennington Ridge runs a lot of specials for us. The relocation people that we met on our interview date are also really helpful!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there pices...are you going to be joining us at UHS class of 2008...if so, and you havent already done so...you need to get your buns over to the class of 2008 threat and post your bio so we can all get to know you!!!! I too will be living north of school i think, and have checked out some of the great places up there!!! good ole suburbia!!!

tovah

I live north of the river and I would strongly suggest that if you are single, or married with no children, live at CT. You will save money on gas, utilities, and food. Since you live across from school you can go home for lunch every day and not rely on buying lunch nor will you have to pack a lunch at seven in the morning. If not at CT, then go to pinnacles, or one of the complexes close to school.

Also, the Paseo bridge will be closing for 4-5 months in 2005 for repairs, so if you live north of the 29/35 split, this will cause extreme commute difficulties. Also, don't believe people when they tell you that you are only 15 minutes north of school. If you have to rely on 29/35 then you are 30-45 minutes from school if you leave after 7am. People tried to tell me that traffic was not bad here, they were not telling the truth. It is bad, and the majority of the drivers have serious issues with tailgating and using blinkers, so there are a lot of accidents. Add ice and you just make it more fun.

wow wannabe...im so glad that you were honest about all of that...hmmm i might be reconsidering the downtown plaza areas...might have to give up the big bathtub for a little more convenience!!!!:rolleyes:

I have a place for sale in Gladstone, MO (about 10 minute drive North of campus, 8 miles). It is a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom with a carport. I bought it new four years ago when I started school at UHS. I found that it was much cheaper to buy than rent and you get your $$ back when you sale the place.

As for the Paseo bridge closing...there are a couple of quick and easy other ways to get to the University from the Northland.

If you live in or work in KCMO you have to pay a 1% income tax to the city. So it is probably better to try and live somewhere without a KCMO address if you or a spouse is planning on working.

MLS ID#: 1154935

bri1856
UHS-COM
class of 2004

Wannabe is correct about living North of the school. There are always bad accidents on or near the Paseo bridge. I live 6 miles from UHS, 2 blocks from the Plaza. If for some reason I-35 is bad, I can always take Main street downtown, so there is an optional, quick route. That being said however, when there is snow and ice, it is a real pain in the butt getting to class and I have often skipped class just because the roads were too bad (even being only 6 miles from school). If I could do it all over again, I would have tried to get something closer to school, like the River Market area with the lofts. I would have paid a little more, but it sure would have made my life easier in the winter time, because as we all know, UHS very RARELY will ever cancel class.