UHS Interview-May 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just received notification that I have been awarded an interview at UHS on May 17th. I was completely shocked that they are still interviewing. I have been accepted at DMU, but live only 40 miles from KC. I was wondering what everyones impressions of UHS were. What impressed you the most? How difficult was the interview? Your impressions of the students and faculty? Facilities? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Vmac

PS Anyone know ~ how many seats are still available?

Members don't see this ad.

Even though your interview is late, you still have a good chance at UHS. I know you have heard this before but, UHS accepts mosts of the people they interview, something like 80%. They do most of the weeding out before the interview, not after. I really enjoyed my visit to UHS. They have a large number of applicants interview on the same day (around 25-30) which is a bit different from other schools. Make sure you visit the interview feedback page and print out the list of common interview questions, you will see some of them. The students and faculty that I met were extremly friendly and helpful. Make sure you ask about the new curriculum. The only thing that really turned me off with UHS was the fact that one of the people who spoke to us that day seemed a little too proud of the number of graduates who entered ACGME residencies. This bothered me for personal reasons. Overall I loved the school and had a very hard time declining my acceptance. In fact I still wonder a little if UHS is where I should have gone. Congrats on your interview and good luck!

The guy who gives the spiel about ACGME residencies is doing that for the appeal factor. He just wants students to know that if you choose to pursue an ACGME residency, the school will support you rather than look down on your decision. I have found the whole topic of MD vs. DO residency to be extremely easy to discuss with faculty, etc. at UHS. He gives the same speech to all the interviewees, so don't sweat that. If you have any specific questions about UHS, feel free to mail me and I'll get back to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things to know or have an opinion on:

Know some history behind the origin of osteopathy.

Know some differences between MD vs Do treatment of rather common ailments

Have opinions on: abortion, euthanasia, cloning, HMO's (there was an interesting, recent development with Aetna giving back to doctors the responsibility for choosing treatment for patients), is health care a right or a priviledge, and be able to backup your opinion!

I had two interviews at UHS this year. The 1st asked specific ethics questions, the second interview asked a very open ended question about ethics: "Please tell us what ethical challenges physicians of the 21st century will face and give us your specific feelings about these challenges."

My first interview sucked, the second was great. UHS will give you ample opportunity to explain any shortcomings you might have in your personal resume.

Remember, if they have invited you for an interview it is because they are interested in you, not just because your numbers meet some highly guarded, secret formula , kept locked away in the dean's office!!!

Have fun, relax as much as possible, ask the student ambassadors any questions you might have....they're really great at answering anything you might be curious about.

If you want to ask me anything, email me.

Eric J
UHS04

[This message has been edited by flipper (edited 04-15-2000).]

One of the best Osteopathic Schools in my book. I was extremely impressed with the campus, the facilities (anatomy lab), OMT labs, friendliness, etc... If only they were located in Michigan. My interview was a breeze. No ethics questions whatsoever. A few of the other students got some though. It was like having a friendly chat. Basic standard battery of questions. Why medicine? Why osteopathy? Why UHS, etc...? Nothing out of the ordinary.

Like DocGibby said, several of the other interviewees on the same day I interviewed said they weren't asked ANY ethics questions, their interviews were just friendly, let us get to know you type of easy going conversations..the lucky stiffs!!!! . But both interviews I had at UHS aked about my early academic shortcomings and then HAMMERED me with ethics quesitions. (ie: What if your partner's wife brought thier 16 year old daughter in for an abortion? What if it was the partner's wife wanting an abortion to cover up some sexual improprieties? Etc, etc, variations upon variations!) Fortunately my ethics guns were loaded and I was ready for 'em!!

So be prepared like you would for any other med school interview and remember that UHS is VERY interested in you or they wouldn't have invited you for an interview!!

Best of Luck...

Eric J
UHS04

Hey, who you calling a stiff?
biggrin.gif

It's certainly good advice to prepare to be bombarded by tough questions.

Thanks to all for the advice!

vmac

Hey DocGibby,

Didn't mean to get you confused with those "stiffs" we saw while on tour of UHS facilities!!!

And before any body jumps me for being insensitive....stop!

Eric J
UHS04

I was very impressed with UHS. I thought it was just because it was my first interview but after seeing other schools I made it my school of choice. I was also accepted at DMU...I thought it was a friendly school and in a good area BUT, their facilities didn't compete with UHS. Definitely go in with an open mind. My interview was fairly easy. I was asked an ethical question. THe premise was that a patient (and long time friend) of mine was HIV positive. I saw him on the street (on a day off with no first aid equipment) clutching his chest. He proceeded to collapse, biting his tongue in the process (hence an open wound). I go over to help him and notice he is not breathing and has no pulse. I immediately call for 911 but do I start CPR? Keep in mind that I had oral surgery the week before so I still have healing wounds in my mouth!
The crazy thing is that some of us were talking of that very question before my interview. They happened to tell me the RIGHT thing to say (not that it is too hard to figure out). You are supposed to say that you wouldn't risk your life (therefore risking the lives of ALL of your patients). Be prepared for things like this!

Good luck on your interview! You should have a good time. Maybe we'll be classmates next year?!

------------------
Erica

The school, campus and facilities seemed awesome. Their admissions people were great as was the interview day.

HOWEVER, as was mentioned above, all of their interviews are NOT of the friendly, chatty were all buddy-buddy style. It seems as though a select few are given the Gestapo-style interview with each group. I talked to 2 current students who received such an interview and I was the lucky-Joe to get an @$$-reaming in my interview group. Honestly, had I had a "Yes" envelope sitting at home at that time...I woulda walked-out and withdrawn my app after the BS interview I had.

So, beware and prepare yourself for a less than amicable interview. Odds are, you won't be the one. However, if you are...you won't be caught with your pants down and your jaw on the floor...much the way I was caught!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

For all of those who interviewed at UHS, I was wondering if it is worth it for me to go for an interview on May 17. I really wanted to check out the school, but I have already been accepted to 4 osteopathic colleges, declined one interview, and put down payments on two schools. I hear its a great school and I was just wondering if people had any advice on whether or not I should spend the money and my vacation time from work to interview at the school. Thanks for all of your help.

Since you've given down payments to two schools, I deduce that you aren't totally sold on either one, therefore I suggest you go to the interview at UHS. Maybe this experience will help you decide where you want to go.

Congrats on all the acceptances. I implore you to make your decision ASAP so that others will have a chance at the extra spot you are holding.

Good luck and let us know your decision!!

Eric J
UHS04

Hey Bandit! Yes, I would definately go and check UHS out. At least it'll settle any curiosity and you won't ever have the "what if" or "should I have". UHS is an awesome school, and for me, was the best out of the ones I interviewed at. Email me if you want to talk about UHS.. (or the others, I can probably help you compare/contrast with the other schools, as I believe I interviewed/visited half of the DO schools) Let me know if I can be of any help!

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004