UHS interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adrian

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be interviewing at UHS on April 19th. I was wondering if anyone had any good information about their interviews, the area, the school, etc. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Stay at a hotel that will provide a shuttle to the school. I stayed at the Quartarage hotel. There was 30 interviewees on my day. The best advice relax, be yourself, know your weak points and how to defend them, smile a lot, and talk to the MS1's and MS2's tour guides about who you will be interviewing with after 1pm. Find out something about them, for it will be easier to ask questions from their perspectives. I rented a car from KC Airport, cheaper than taking a taxi and explored the school the day before. In the cafeteria you will find some yearbooks, read them and the information posted on the all the bulletin boards throughout the school-- it will give you a sense of current events and questions. They also have a magazine called the UHS-COMmunicator, which I found informative. I found the self-tour helped me relax a little on the tour and a lot during the interview. Some people had ethical questions and I guess it would be good to practice answers to ones on your view of abortion, self-assisted suicide (read the Osteopathic Oath), etc.. Please feel free to contact me with more questions.
smile.gif
Diane UHS-COM 2003

------------------

Stay at a hotel that will provide a shuttle to the school. I stayed at the Quartarage hotel. There was 30 interviewees on my day. The best advice relax, be yourself, know your weak points and how to defend them, smile a lot, and talk to the MS1's and MS2's tour guides about who you will be interviewing with after 1pm. Find out something about them, for it will be easier to ask questions from their perspectives. I rented a car from KC Airport, cheaper than taking a taxi and explored the school the day before. In the cafeteria you will find some yearbooks, read them and the information posted on the all the bulletin boards throughout the school-- it will give you a sense of current events and questions. They also have a magazine called the UHS-COMmunicator, which I found informative. I found the self-tour helped me relax a little on the tour and a lot during the interview. Some people had ethical questions and I guess it would be good to practice answers to ones on your view of abortion, self-assisted suicide (read the Osteopathic Oath), etc.. Please feel free to contact me with more questions.
smile.gif
Diane UHS-COM 2003

------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like yesterday for that interview. I second everything that Diane said and I add one more comment. Ask who your intervirewers will be before the interview and then tailor your intervire questions to fit their interests. worked well for me and I think it could be helpful to you too. relax and enjoy yourself. Get a beer the night before or something.

Adrian,

What ever you do, DON'T STRESS about the UHS interview. Of all of the schools that I visited, UHS was the most relaxed, sincere, and organized visit that I had. I accpepted a spot in march and there was no deliberation in choosing a school. UHS appears to have a solid program.

I was interviewed by two faculty members. Most of the conversation was about my experiences and thoughts about the medical field. At the end of the interview, they realized that they had to ask me an ethical question (must be a formal requirement) and they let me choose the topic!!! I mentioned several current moral issues (including the ever popular euthanasia and abortion) and decided to discuss my views on assisted suicide since I am from the home state of Dr. Jack (Michigan) and I was current with the recent politics and the attempt to pass a proposal that would allow euthanasia in the state. Had it not been a topic that was so specific to my home state, i probably would have been more inventive and picked something else. I don't know if anybody else had the opportunity to "choose" the ethical situation presented in their interview.

The students that worked with the Admissions office were great. They were open and honest about their experiences with the school and were able to freely comment on their likes and dislikes.

The school is not in the greatest area, but campus is beautiful and seems secure. (There are armed guards that patrol the grounds.) The students told me that they have never heard of any problems and that the neighborhood appreciates the presence of the school since it is the only high point in the area.

KC is a great town. I have spent some time there several years ago and I had fun on my interview trip also. In the interest of $$$, I took the KCI shuttle from the airport. Be sure to buy a round trip ticket if you do. If you are going to be there more than two days, you may want to rent a car to see the rest of the city. If you stay in the Quartarage (sp?) or holiday inn express, take a walk to the Plaza. Its a few blocks, but worth it if you have time to kill.

Good Luck on the 19th. Maybe I'll see you this fall.

x

[This message has been edited by Jeff K (edited April 13, 1999).]

I have to agree with everything that's been said. If you have
any specific questions let me know.

Deb, UHS-COM 2001

I have my first interview for med school on Friday so I understand your stress. I found the interviewfeedback.com site to be really helpful. Good luck to ya.
Lori

Adrian,

It is not my intent to pooh-pooh on the parade; but I had quite a different style of interview at UHS. It would seem 99% get the amicable, chatty, friendly I want to get to know you style. Mine was NOTHING like that!!! I was grilled for 50 minutes!!!! Multiple escalating ethics questions and a thorough dissection of my application. I'm not telling you this to scare you. I blundered in prepared for a buddy chat and got my cage rattled badly. So, just be prepared for something other than fun-time. That way you won't get caught with your pants down, like I did.

I did make UHS' alternate-list...but I have been accepted at KCOM, where I will be attending this fall.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

OldManDave,
That's funny because everyone was telling me that one of my interviews would be like talking to friends. Mine was not like that at all. The first 15 or so minutes of my 45 minute long interview were pretty stressful. They combed my application over and hardly smiled. They later lightened up, and the rest of the interview was fine. I agree with you, don't get caught with your pants down, prepare for "battle". OldManDave, maybe they knew we "old-timers" could handle the heat.
smile.gif

Wow! I haven't heard of any negative experiences at UHS until today. I'm sorry to hear about your experience Dave.

Dave and VM are right. The UHS interview is not the easiest I have had. They do pick at your application and you do have to be well prepared. Their questions are thought provoking but they are sincere. Just remember that no one knows your application as well as you do!!! Your experiences, grades, scores and beliefs are just that--- YOURS. Stick to your guns and stand up for yourself and your application. Review your primary and secondary apps. You should know them like the back of your hand. Re-read your essays for UHS and any that you have authored for other schools. Although it is info about yourself, things can get fuzzy in the heat of the moment. Try to relax and remember to ask questions to your interviewers also!

Good Luck!