UHS Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mompremed, Oct 10, 2001.

1. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I've had time to visit the "boards," but I was wondering if anyone here is interviewing at UHS on October 17th. I am, and thought it would be fun to see if others are as well and say "Hey!"

Cheers,
    mompremed

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm not interviewing there this year. I hope to next year. I just wanted to say congrats! You have a ~90% chance of acceptance. You must be doing something right! :) Good luck.

4. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

Good Luck, I may see you while you visit. I'll be on the foosball table.
    Later

5. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks! I'm really excited about it naturally!

mompremed

6. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, when they take us on the tour, I'll be sure and ask where the foosball table is! :)

mompremed

7. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

90% chance of getting in just cuz u got an interview? I think those odds sound too unrealistic. What makes you think that they're that high?

8. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually, the odds are between 80-90%, and that's because UHS doesn't give an interview unless they REALLY want you. In other words, if you can carry yourself well in the interview, i.e., professionally, etc., you'll likely get an acceptance letter. This past year, more accepted than they anticipated so they increased the class size by 25 to accomodate.

I have gotten to know several entering students and am good friends with one, and those are the odds they all give. This also seems to be the case with some other DO schools as I understand from what others have said on the boards. Plus in my case, I have a letter of rec from a UHS alumnus and you get extra points for that. Although I know you never know for sure until you have the letter in hand, still it's encouraging to know that they state they just want to get to know you - and part of the interview day is spent being fit for the white coat! Which to my mind indicates they're pretty sure they want you and that the interview itself is mostly a formality. :) :) :)

But hey! I could be all wrong....I'll for check back and let everyone know when I find out one way or the other!

Cheers,
    mompremed

9. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh, I just remembered that I actually have the stats from last year as they were given in the supplemental app.

2500 applied
    500 interviewed
    250 in 2001 entering class.

You know more than 50% interviewed were actually accepted and chose other schools - how much more than 50% is the question. But >50% is still much better than <10% at KU in my mind! ;)

mompremed

10. Mr. happy clown guy

Mr. happy clown guy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

250 in entering class is just too high for that place.

11. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you check out the USNEWs website, you can see for yourself that the percentage of those accepted (that were granted interviews) is very close to 90%. If you get an interview, you're basically accepted unless you screw up your interview. They just want to see what kind of person you are and if you'll fit into their school. Their entering class figures are indeed around 250 people, but I'm sure they've found a way to work with such a large number of students.

12. Mr. happy clown guy

7+ Year Member

They accept around 250, expecting only 230 or so to show up.

13. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Clown guy is right. It's more like 224 seats available for the entering class, but at a 85-90% acceptance clip once granted an interview, who cares! The odds are definately in your favor if you're lucky enough to get an interview.

14. SunnyOne

SunnyOne Member
    7+ Year Member

Mompremed-
    I am also interviewing at UHS Wednesday! Surely we'll be in a small group, so we can't miss each other. I look forward to meeting you!

See ya there....
    -Lisa

15. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Super! I'm sure we'll have nametags, I'll look for your name and introduce myself.

Cheers,
    Catherine
    a.k.a. mompremed

16. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, has anyone heard from UHS yet? I have...I've been waitlisted. Although I am in the top third and UHS has taken 100% of their alternate list for the past few years, I am still disappointed.

Why, you say? Because my interview was not at all what everyone said it would be (they just want to get to know you, etc.) In fact it was every bit as brutal as my allopathic interview, if not more so, because I wasn't expecting it and wasn't prepared to fight for every breath.

The real kicker is, the reason I was waitlisted is that over the past 4 years of struggling through a divorce, setting up housekeeping (from scratch!), becoming a single mom and having to drastically increase my work hours to make ends meet...a couple/three semesters I had to drop my school hours below 12. (But I made up for it by going full time each summer after that!) Also, I haven't been able to take MORE than 12 hours because of the above reasons - this from the adcoms. So they're concerned I won't be able to handle the workload!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Like working 3/4 time, going to school 3/4 time, doing all the extracurriculars, volunteer work, etc. (sometimes carrying 12 hours while working full-time) isn't enough to prove I can handle JUST going to school and studying 12-14 hours/day 5-6 days per week!

I wouldn't feel so bad, except I know people that were accepted right after their interview that had similar work/study needs as far as hours, had lower MCAT scores, similar or lower GPAs, (I'm graduating with departmental honors with a degree in Chemistry), and who also didn't have the family obligations, i.e., single mom stuff going on. BUT, they were/are 20 years younger!!!

I also have pieces that have been published, with other works in progress at the behest of professors that have written fabulous letters of rec. I have - almost! - an entire hospital of people on the front lines of healthcare; doctors, nurses and people from almost every department that have known me for years and know how hard I've worked and they are rooting for me. But 40 minutes on a bad day with two science professors that don't even know me has swayed the adcoms - even though my credentials are as good or better than people who were accepted - not waitlisted! - immediately. At least that's how I perceive it.

It is very hard to not think the "D" word (discrimination)...very hard indeed. Fortunately my considerable maturity ( ;) ) allows me to see the bigger picture: it is more important for me to actually become a doctor than to be "right" or vindicated at the present time. So I will wait...and hope... and pray.... Hopefully I can help change things for those who come after, and help to change our society's unspoken, yet pervasive prejudice against anyone over 30, or 40, or 50....hell, over any age!

Although the odds are in my favor, still it is very difficult to know that I have worked as hard if not much harder than anyone I know trying to get into med school - and know that it is not as appreciated by the adcoms as the 22-yr-olds that COULD take 18 semester hours each semester because mommy and daddy were taking care of them. If going for endless days, sometimes months with only 3-4 hours sleep per night - or less - is not enough to prove my dedication and ability to do the work and stay the course -- what is?.....sigh. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if any older premeds want to contact me via email, I have learned some things that I think (I hope!) might help. I'm not sure many advisors know enough to be effective with older non-trads. My advisors, while very supportive, have never imparted anything that has helped me in the interview process, although all the younger ones have been helped immensely. Because of this, I am convinced that the interview questions for the older non-trads are vastly different than even the younger non-trads, let alone the 22-yr-olds.

Sorry if this seems whiny, but I just needed to vent. It is just so very frustrating to have worked so hard and sacrificed so much and not have all my hard work taken as seriously as - well - those much younger than I. I'm sure that had it not been for my stellar letters of rec from an alumnus and other physician leaders in the community, I would not even be in the running.
    :confused:

So....I will probably be starting UHS next fall, and although it's probably too soon to start a "UHS 2006" thread, if anyone who plans to come from out of town needs some help and advice on the area, as a long time resident of Kansas City I will be happy to assist, as I did for several that started this year. I have done some research about the safety of the area which seems to be everyone's main concern and will forward a copy of the results on request. (I posted them here last summer and made/kept a copy because UHS security asked me for it.) Having raised children here, I can also point those with school-aged children in the direction of good school districts that have affordable housing.

Best of luck to all those who are working on getting in to med school, and I sincerely hope to be "officially" working/going to school with all UHSers next year!

Cheers,

mompremed

17. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

Mompremed,
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm sure you'll come off the waitlist. It will be their loss if you don't. Being a single mother has to be as hard as anything med. school could throw at you.I am applying to UHS and I called them and they said that my application was to be reviewed on Friday. I am extrememly nervous. My stats are okay, I think. 3.25 GPA and 27 MCAT. I am worried about making that first cut for an interview. Any advice if I am offered an interview?

18. Mr. happy clown guy

7+ Year Member

Mom,

Before you get all "up in arms" and use the D-word, realize where they are coming from. They have seen MANY over 30 students and even more over 40 students drop/fail out over the years (at least 5 from my class alone!!) and that is something they DON'T want!! Their job is to find the ideal candidate that will be able to complete the program. Stats see a greater failure/drop out rate with the older candidate...so can you blame them for being cautious?? Wouldn't you be cautious???
    I am sure you will make the cut...they want to be assured you will be able to make it the DISTANCE.

19. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

Yep, don't worry about it you'll get in. They are just being cautious. By the way who interviewed you?

20. solie

solie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi mompremed,
    I've been reading your posts and just wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you! :)
    You sound like you're more than qualified to take on the rigors of med school, and I'm surprised that the adcom couldn't see that right away.
    Now that I've heard your inspirational story, I'm worried about defending my own schedule, which was pitiful in comparison. My school didn't offer all the courses I needed every semester, so I just took what was available (usually around 12 credits) and then worked the rest of the time.
    Then again, I don't even have an interview at UHS-COM as of yet.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll end up getting accepted as soon as they come to their senses(hopefully soon!).

Good luck and Take care :)

21. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ok, I'm going against my grain to quote an inspirational line from the movie 'The Waterboy'. "YOU CAN DO IT!" :) Now, you've more than proved to me you're qualified to be a med student. I wouldn't worry so much about this aspect necessarily. You need to focus more on how you will manage to stay in school and prove the skeptics wrong. It may be true that many older students failed out in the past, but remember that not ALL of them failed out. I believe with the mound of work you have to deal with currently, you should have no problem proving yourself as an admission candidate. One thing that might help you in school, though, is to try to eliminate as much "excess baggage" as you can. With you having kids and being a full-time medical student, there shouldn't be much else going on in your life during the next 4 years. Studying is of keen importance.

Good luck! YOU CAN DO IT!

Atlas

22. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence BamaAlum. I'm not sure exactly what academic criteria they look for, but your stats are just slightly better than mine so if you have a DO letter and volunteer service under your belt I should think you'll get an interview. I do know for a fact that they give extra points for an alumnus letter, but most students are from out of town so I imagine most get in without it.

My main advice for interview day is, don't make the mistake I did and go into it sleep-deprived. I was lulled into a false sense of security (I allowed myself to BE lulled!) and I should have moved heaven and earth to get off work the night before since I was coming off my long stretch of work interspersed with midterms. My outcome might have been better if I had been in my "best form" and defended myself better.

The main thing I have learned about what adcoms are concerned about with non-trads (I learned this from Electra - thanks Electra!) is whether they can handle the academic rigors of the equivalence of 24 semester hours - much different than working full-time and taking a course here and there. They were also very concerned about my support system, as I guess some older non-trads have trouble putting one together with the younger students. Had I been prepared for that I could have assured them that building support systems is one of my greatest strengths, i.e. I am the networking queen!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Age is just so relative, you know. I "hang out" with 20-21 yr-olds at school, and the amazing thing is: they want to hang out with me!! (I am 51 BTW)

Another thing I have had trouble with in interviews is that some interviewers seem to want to make something negative out of even your most positive experiences, so I would say, be prepared for that. Again, if I had been in my best form and prepared to "do battle" so-to-speak, I could have used those things to expound on my considerable knowledge about bioethics and medical humanities, or at least work those things in, in a lucid way. Instead, I failed miserably in that regard....sigh. Also, I just don't do very well in those situations I think - it's too similar to public speaking and when I get nervous I get tongue-tied. :eek: :eek:

I'm sure you'll do much better, so try not to worry, but be sure and get that good night's sleep!!

Cheers,
    mompremed

23. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually, Mr. hcg, I didn't USE the D-word, I said it's hard not to THINK it. The reason is because I was comparing my stats/work/school situation to other non-trads that are over 30. Why should I be considered differently just because I am 51? A non-trad is a non-trad is a non-trad IMHO. Although, as I just said to BamaAlum, I might have come off better if I had had a good night's sleep....I just wasn't expecting to have to do "battle" since no one else I know had too. If I had it to do over....sigh. Oh well, I can take comfort in the fact that I'm in the upper third of the waitlist in spite of my interview going so terribly, and at least I won't have to worry about coming up with 500 smackeroos just before Christmas!!

Also, I hope everyone knows that my frustrations in this regard are just my human response...I hope I'm among friends and can be allowed to express a human response! ;) My official, professional response is what I also said, which is that I fully realize that it is much more important that I actually become a doctor, so I wouldn't even THINK of "making waves"!!! I'm not about to risk coming off as being a victim, which is why I didn't tell them about doing what I've done while going through a divorce, etc. - which may have worked against me here, but I didn't want to open up that can of worms.

As for dropout rates of med students, I know several people at the hospital who dropped out their first or second year - and they were 23-24. After getting into it, they realized that fulfilling mommy/daddy's dream wasn't worth the hard work. Also, at my school (UMKC) they have had about 20 dropout so far this year, and they are all 19-21....ditto the above I imagine. (We have a 6-yr program at UMKC.)

Of course I don't know the stats for every school, but I know that non-trads are not the only ones to ever drop out of med school! And anyway, my concern/frustration is that based on what they told my advisor, they are holding me to a different standard than other non-trads.

But.....such is life as they say. No one ever said things would always be fair! (As I have said many times to my kids over the years! ;) )

Cheers,
    mompremed

24. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Are you a UHSer? If so, email me and I'll tell you the names, but it just doesn't seem right, i.e., "professional" to give out their names on the internet...or even to just anyone via email....IMHO.

mompremed

25. Mr. happy clown guy

7+ Year Member

What I am saying, is that probably at least 1 of 5 med students over 40 or 50 drop out or fail. At UHS, the rate was AT LEAST that high. I am not saying that would be you, but that is a trend they are willing to avoid.
    As for UMKC, those kids are soooo young, no wonder they drop out. Hell, half of em can't even go to the Velvet Dog yet.

26. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks, solie. Having so many people rooting for me is part of what keeps me in there pitching. :)

I have a close friend whose stats were not quite as good as mine and she never took over 12 semester hours at a time, while working full-time one or two of those semesters, and she was accepted right away. She did have an alumnus letter, which as I said, UHS gives extra points for. Barring that, I would make sure the letters you do have are "stellar," especially your DO letter, and know why you want to "go DO." I laid all those cards on the table in my AACOMAS app and secondary, but I wish I'd left some for the interview, because I SURE could have "waxed resonant" on that score, even being sleep-deprived!

Also, UHS sets a very high premium on community service, so if you have lots of that under your belt along with decent stats and a DO letter, I should think you'll be fine. One thing you might think of is how to present your community service. For instance, I counseled with the admissions director (yes, you can do that for those who may not know!) and she looked at my years of being a deaconness and sunday school teacher and asked me what I DID during that time. Well, I helped administer a food pantry, visited shut-ins and worked with disadvantaged children, so she said to make sure and put that down, so I did. I don't know if that made a difference when it was all said and done, but it sure didn't hurt. At least I was able to show that my community involvement has been ongoing throughout my adult life, through that and other things, which again, can't hurt.

Also, you might get on their website and check out UHS's committment to the community and outreach services - they are considerable. It wouldn't hurt to be educated about that point. Being a long-time resident of the area, I have actually SEEN the results of their ongoing committment - it's big part of why the surrounding neighborhood is "coming back" in fact.

I wouldn't worry too much, once you get an interview. It really is true that once you get an interview there you're about 90% in. Hey - my interview went terribly and I'm STILL in the top third of the waitlist. And they've assured my advisor that they've taken 100% of the waitlist for the past several years, so it's really just a matter of time! Even with a huge applicant pool, I can't imagine that they wouldn't get through at least the top third. Even the allopathic schools usually get that far down the list or farther, and the DO schools do lose a lot of students who have been waitlisted at their state allopathic schools. UHS lost ~20 the first 2 weeks of class, which vindicates them for bring in an extra 25 over their intended class size.

Check out my post to BamaAlum for some more suggestions - the main thing is, be sure and get a GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP!!!!!! :eek:

Cheers,
    mompremed

27. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, you may be right, but I plan to research that and I'll get back to you. I can't imagine that there would actually BE more than 5 in that category in any given year, but it would be interesting to compare the dropout rates for the older non-trad category, with, say, the 30's crowd.

As for the "young ones", my point with that is that they are obviously at high risk for dropout, too, but it doesn't stop them from only allowing 18-yr-olds into the program. (Although the new dean is now requiring them to let 5 advanced-standings in per year.) They haven't always had QUITE this high a dropout rate of course, but apparently this year they're required to make a couple A's - not just C's, and I think they're cracking down on the cheating, too.

As for myself, one of my mentors who is a physician-philosopher, thinks the excuse that UHS is giving is a poor one. But I think I just had a poor interview, and for that I can really only blame myself. I normally am a lot better at selling my love, passion and committment to medicine....and my ability to "go the distance" in that regard. I just had an "off" day on the worst possible day. I'm not really blaming UHS, but like my mentor says, the excuse doesn't really "wash." Of course, they can't come right out and say it's because I'm "old" either! And I do realize they have to be cautious....it's just such a letdown and I just need to vent!

I knew this path would not be easy at my age, and I'm really more mad at myself for letting my guard down....sigh. In the end, I can't blame anyone but myself, and believe me, I know that, too.

Cheers,
    mompremed

28. Mr. happy clown guy

7+ Year Member

Ok, I say it another way...at least 20% (1 in 5). Not literally 5 people over 50 per class. Forget it.

29. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    How does UHS administer their waitlist? I mean, do they accept their 200+ students, put the rest on wait, and then as students decline acceptances, more acceptances are sent out? Or, do they accept ~150 or so, and then send out acceptances to waitlisters? I think every school does it a little differently than the next. How does UHS handle theirs?

Thanks

30. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Atlas, I'm really not at all sure exactly how they do it. I only know that for the past several years they have used 100% of their alternate list each year. Therefore, since I'm in the top third, and it's the rare med school that doesn't work through at least half their waitlist, I've decided to consider myself "virtally accepted".....!!

However, next time I talk to admitting I'll ask how it works and let everyone know.

As to your previous post, thanks for the vote of confidence. I am working on the "excess baggage" as you put it, in every department. I know you weren't talking about my weight since you don't know me, but I had to chuckle because that is some excess baggage I'm working to get rid of as well! One dress size down, only 3 more to go....yippee!!!

Here's my checklist:

Get rid of the "Ex" (we were working on reconciling but that went down the tubes, so I've already jettisoned that one!

Get rid of the last kid: don't really have a choice there as he's chomping at the bit and raring to go - literally. In fact he's already gone and I'm even over the "empty nest" syndrome already. Don't have time to "stew" much anyway. But I am working on ways to kick his butt into gear to get his GED and get in to junior college, so that's a priority. I hear bribery works well.

Finish my memory albums (my whole life is in a shoebox and I want to get it caught up to present time before I start med school.)

Get the papers into print that various profs have encouraged me to get published.

Stock up on supplies, food, etc.

Pay off my car, credit card, get house in good physical order and such like....yeah, I plan to pretty much not have anything to do but go to school and study. (Although some MS1's I know seem to have a LOT more free time than I do right now!) ;)

Cheers,
    mompremed

31. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No pun was intended w/ the excess baggage comment. :) It's good to see you'll be ready to focus when school rolls around. Best of luck!