UHS / Kansas City housing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SD, Jan 7, 2000.

1. SD

SD Senior Member

I'm sorry for not posting this in the correct section, but the housing section gets really little traffic.

For any of you current/future/prospective UHS students, can you recommend some good places to live? I'd like to live north of the river, (the plaza area is nice, but too pricey for me), and in a 2 bdrm, clean place. Any specific names of places would be greatly appreciated. I'll be going back up next month to apartment hunt.

Also, I have visited Bennington Ridge and it seems nice. Any pros or cons about this place?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

P.S. Does anyone know how/if the roommate list works at UHS?

------------------
    Sara
    UHS Class of 2004

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Sara,

Bennington Ridge is very popular among my classmates. There are probably almost as many students living there as at University Towers. During the year people organize parties there as it seems to be one of the most convenient locations (lots of people already there).

I haven't heard many complaints about it either.

It is close enough to school, although don't count on leaving the house 15 min before classes start, despite the proximity, as traffic gets pretty heavy in the morning.

If you are single and living by yourself, University Towers is not a bad option. Friends who live there tell me that it is almost like living in the dorms, just that everyone has the same major! I know the building is not something one would rave about, but it does take 5 minutes from there to school and when you have some blocks of free time in the middle of the day and don't feel like staying at school studying, you can always go home and have lunch or take a nap :)

There are several apartment complexes in the Gladstone area, ranging from very nice to...nope. It depends how much you want to spend. Gladstone also a very safe area.

There are some great places around Barry Rd. too, and it is about a 15-20 min commute to school in light to moderate traffic even at rush hour. The Ethans is one of them and many students live there. There is also another complex at Barry Rd. and I-29 which is popular with students, sorry, I don't recall the name. The price range is a bit higher and the area usually attracts married students, students with kids, and roomate arrangements. Great school district, lots of convenient shopping, mall, movie theatres and a very quiet and safe area too.

I would discourage you from living anywhere that requires using hwy 70 to get to school in the morning, unless you love the parking lot feeling or are a Nascar racer. It is either bumper to bumper or your bumper is about to be overun by a 18 wheeler who "must make it to St. Louis" in 3 hours, depending on the day and time.

Overall, the rental property market in KC is very good. Compared with other parts of the country, you can find lots of places, in safe neighborhoods, and at a reasonable price.

I hope this helps and let me know if there is any additional info I can help you with in regards to KC or UHS.

4. bDOc03

bDOc03 Member

SD,

Another place to try, if you want to live in an apartment, is The Woods of Walnut Creek. It is on Parvin Road and isn't too far from Bennington. I believe that it is a little closer to school as well. It is in a nice wooded area. My wife and I went through 'Apartment Search' when we came here last summer. It didn't cost us a thing and, since we were new to the area, it was a great help. A very nice lady named Jerri Bolling showed us around several apartment complexes until we found one that we liked. She was very friendly and helpful and I highly recommend letting her help you. You should have some info from the 'apartment search' people in the packet that you got when you interviewed.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

bDOc03
    UHS, MS-1

5. doctorkdo

doctorkdo New Member

How much to most students spend on a one bedroom and a two bedroom apartment near UHS. Not super nice, but livable.

Kyle Platz
    UHS Class of 2005

6. bDOc03

bDOc03 Member

Dear Kyle,

There aren't many places that are really close to UHS where there are many UHS students living. Like 2002 said, there are a lot of students who live north of the river in Bennington Ridge. The closest is probably University towers. I don't know what the rent is in either of those places. I would have to recommend (again) giving the people over at 'Apartment Search' a call. They should have the prices and other factoids right there. As I mentioned earlier, we used them when we moved and they were very helpful and saved us a lot of time and trouble.

Good luck and congrats on your acceptance to UHS!

bDOc03
    UHS, MS-1

7. Kglaser

Kglaser New Member

Call the school and they will put your name on a list and send you a list of other people it is up to you to find one off the list. Two girls who live under me did that and I think it worked out well.

I live in The Ethans, north of the river off Barry Rd and Hwy 169. Two bedroom with washer dryer hookups $670 a month. Takes 15-20 min to get to school depending on traffic and the route I take.

Other comprable places I looked at are:
    Campden Passage (great workout center, although the school has one too)
    Kelly Crossing (much more pricey)
    Falcon Point
    Windrose

There are many others up here too without washer dryers that may be a bit cheaper. Go to the appartment search website, they are free and you can tell them what you are looking for.

Good luck

8. GolfDoc

GolfDoc Junior Member

Sara,
    In regards to a place to live in KC, Bennington Ridge is the best option for a UHS student. Many of the students in the past have lived there and it has been a great experience, especially as a first year. The vast number of first years allows everyone to meet and do things together. Many also carpool and it only takes 10 minutes to get to school. I would not go to University Towers, there has been some bad experiences there. Call Karolyn at Bennington and tell her that the GolfDoc sent you there and she will give you the "Special." Trust me on this one. Also, if you need a roommate Karolyn will help you find one. Many of UHS students take this pathway. Goodluck next year. The new curriculum should be fun!!!!!!

9. GolfDoc

GolfDoc Junior Member

Sara,
    In regards to a place to live in KC, Bennington Ridge is the best option for a UHS student. Many of the students in the past have lived there and it has been a great experience, especially as a first year. The vast number of first years allows everyone to meet and do things together. Many also carpool and it only takes 10 minutes to get to school. I would not go to University Towers, there has been some bad experiences there. Call Karolyn at Bennington and tell her that the GolfDoc sent you there and she will give you the "Special." Trust me on this one. Also, if you need a roommate Karolyn will help you find one. Many of UHS students take this pathway. Goodluck next year. The new curriculum should be fun!!!!!!

10. SD

SD Senior Member

Golfdoc- Thanks so much for the info.. I have actually already been to Bennington Risge and have put a small deposit down... I'd love to know about the "Golfdoc's Special" though!

One other thing, please tell me anything you can about the new curriculum. I have heard so very little about it, and I'm really interested. Any details are greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance!

------------------
    Sara
    UHS Class of 2004