SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UHS MS1 Curriculum

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SD, Apr 18, 2000.

1. SD

SD Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 1999
    Florida/Georgia
    Just thought I'd start another thread.. [​IMG] Does anyone know anything good/bad/interesting about the new curriculum? I heard our weekly schedule will be Monday-Friday lectures 9-12; Mon, Wed, Thurs labs/OMM; Tues and Fri afternoons "our time". I was told this by one of the ambassadors last month, so I'm sure it may have changed since. She also said that we'll still have the testing blocks, but we will have quizzes every Friday over what we learned/should have learned that week.

It should be interesting, if not fun, being the guinea pigs, though I hope there aren't any major problems. I think learning by systems is a neat approach, and hopefully will make some good sense in my head.

So any thoughts about the new approach?

------------------
    Sara
    UHS Class of 2004

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kgDO

kgDO Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2000
    KC, MO
    Just a piece of info for you all. The administration and faculty who are in charge of the new curriculum don't like when people refer to it as systems based. They prefer the term "clinical case based" because in some sense it is supposed to be different. I'm still not exactly clear on how it is different other than incorporating cases into the curriculum, but we do that now anyway. I think the new term is UHS's way of trying to look unique. Hope it works out well for all of you newcomers.

4. guylon07

guylon07 Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2000
    N. Little Rock, AR, US
    Hey SD, I went through a Bachellors Nursing Program to get my RN liscense, and their curriculum was clinical case based. I don't want to compare the two curriculums, becuase I know that D.O. school will be far more indepth than the nursing program was as far as the sciences go, but the idea sounds similiar. I enjoyed the way it was set up. I felt that I was able to learn more about the particular systems we were learning about. We focused on one system and covered the pathophysiology, pharmacology, anatomy, nursing diagnosis,procedures and outcomes using our text,class lectures, professional lectures, actual case studies, etc.. I liked it because I was able to concentrate on one system instead of learning about GI here and cardiovascular there. I was able to remain a little more organized becuase of it. I am really looking forward to participating in the clinical based (systems approach)at UHS. I think it will be very good for all of us!

5. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 1999
    Although the opinion of the curretn classes about what you guys are going to experience is very divided, something like "poor things" to "lucky devils", I personally thing you will get a lot more out of the new curriculum when compared to what we got from the current one.

As you my imagine, we are in the midsts of studying for boards and a recurrent thought I am hearing from lots of people, and yo which I too subscribe, is that a vast amount of stuff we were supposed to learn last year is only starting to make sense this year, after having had the second year classes. Lat year we just memorized the stuff and wondered why the heck we were supposed to know all of it. This year we are finally able to put it in context.

For you guys, you will be given the material within a context and will not have to wait a year before something "clicks" and you actually pass from rote memorization to actual understanding.

My vote is definitively "lucky devils"!