UHS or CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kehoward

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice about two different schools. One is in UHS in Kansas City and the other in CCOM in Downer Grove. I was impressed with both schools and would just like to hear if there are any advantages between the them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have been very happy at UHS. This is my first year, and I made the right choice as far as I'm concerned. I don't know a lot about CCOM, although they are supposed to have pretty good clinical affiliations, and I know some grads who turned out to be well-respected physicians (althoug the ones I know graduated many years ago.) At UHS, they will be adopting a new curriculum next year which I believe will be more integrated than the one we are currently using, for example, when you learn about congestive heart failure you will be taught everything about it...physiology, biochemistry, histology, anatomy, etc.. This sounds pretty cool to me, and I'm sorry I am too late to be a part of that. The class size is typically large (around 220) but the professors are really very approachable and willing to talk with you anytime you need it. Our clinical affiliations are relatively strong, although the office that handles this is attempting to make them even stronger. It is a very difficult workload, but I imagine that is the case at every medical school. Under the current curriculum, we spend a lot of time in lectures (I've heard though that the time next years 1st years will spend in lecture will be decreased..this is a good thing!) Our students generally perform very well on boards, and I know they are looked upon fondly around Kansas City. Not a lot of research is done (so if this is your thing, this isn't your school) but they are building a new building that is supposed to expand the research done at UHS..not sure when that will be finished but I imagine it will be done by Fall. I'm assuming you have interviewed at both school, so I won't go into details about the facilities (they gave youa tour, right?) Bottom line, decide what you want in a school and go for it. Both schools will provide you a top-notch medical education. The other thing I really like about UHS is that it is not competitive at all (at least my class isn't.) If there is anything specific you would like to know about UHS, I'll be happy to help...your question is kinda vague so I'm not sure what information your interested in. Medical school is a personal choice and everyone wants to get something different out of it (research, lots of clinical, etc. etc.) Again, if there is anything specific I can tell you, please don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully someone from CCOM will post and give you more info about their school.

UHS03
Are you kidding me? The class of 2003 has many cut-throats in it. How can you say that it is not competitive when the class has termed the word "gunner" for those who are out for themselves and the top grade. Maybe you do not realize it, but there are so many that have material that they could share and they do not because they won't the edge. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's always gonna be a few people like that, but I certainly don't associate with them, nor do I have any clue who they are. The term "gunner" was around way before our class, so we can't take credit for that. I think the percentage of people in our class who are like that is relatively small. Besides, what materials do they have that you don't have access to? It's tyhe week before exams, if slackers are hitting people who have done the work up for help now, why should the good students allow themselves to be taken advantage of? Obviously, there are extremes to both sides of this, but the "gunners" have a right to not want to carry the rest of the class if they feel like they are the ones doing all the work.

Another piece of infor for you about the clinicals at UHS. If you want to do your rotations in a state other than the ones listed below, you should probably ask CCOM if they have rotations in the state you are looking for. This is just some info that I wish I would have had when I started.

Third year rotations:
Arizona, Colorado(maybe), Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Michigan, Mississippi (maybe), New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas.

Fourth year rotations: Currently, we have been told that we can either stay at our 3rd year location, or go somewhere else (supposedly anywhere else as long as it's approved through the rotations office).

Things may change a little bit, as they are always trying to improve the programs, but I know they would rather make existing programs even stronger than branch out to new places. This could be good or bad, all depends on how you view it and where you want to go.

Good luck.

Yeah, I would gladly take stronger clinical affiliations over the new pavilion they are building! Drives me up a wall!