UHS Roll Call: Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaMags

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all my future classmates! I just wanted a chance to learn a little about each and every one of you. I know we've kind of already done this, but I thought it'd be great to have it all in one place.

Include your name, where you're from, age (if you want to), interests, and anything you want.

Here's me:

My name is Anna and I'm from Olathe, Kansas. I'll be commuting from Olathe next year where I'll live with my parents and two younger sisters. I'm 22 and will be graduating from Central Missouri State University on May 11. I plan to go into primary care. I love doing things outdoors--camping, hiking, swimming, etc. I can't wait for the summer months.

Can't wait to meet all of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Anna!

I'm Tammy from Parsons, KS. I graduated from University of Louisville several years ago (I'm 30) and am changing careers. I work as a public relations director for a community college.

I have a 12-year-old son, Tyler, who will be coming with me.

I like to do about everything, suck at most of it, but have fun anyway. I don't really have a hobby, but I'm usually game for almost anything.

That's me in a nutshell! :D

Hi,
I will be joining you all in the class of 2006 at UHS. I had a hard time deciding, but I finally made my choice. I am currently living in Montana. Can you believe it is snowing right now
:p ! Anyway, I can't wait to meet everyone.

Flea girl

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,
I am also a member of the distinguished UHS Class of 2006. I am from Birmingham, AL(Montgomery, AL originally). I graduated from The University of Alabama in May of 2001.(Roll Tide!!) I am currently doing cardiovascular research at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. I am 23 years old. I have no clue what I want to go into as it changes weekly. This week it is heme/onc. Check back next week for an update. :) I am a sports fanatic and I especially like to play golf. Anyway, it is great to meet some of my future classmates!

Hey guys, what's up? My name is James Park (aka Old Yeller). I'm currently a non-degree student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (my alma mater). I'm 26 years old. Spent a couple of years working at a local hospital as a health care tech and just recently have gone back to school to take some more classes. I just finished my first final and have another one to look forward to on Friday :rolleyes: . Yeah, I'll be lookin' forward to seeing all of ya's

Hey people...just wanted to wet my feet...I'm Vinh,male, from California...22, love golf (yeah baby)...graduating from whittier college in may 24 ..probably will be living at Century Towers..hope to talk you more later...always,

Hi all! I'm Jeremy from Garden City, KS. I'll be graduating from Colorado Christian University in 4 days. (YIPPEE!!!) I'll be living in CT as well. I like to run and do things outside. I also enjoy spending time with my girlfriend whenever we get the chance. (We've been doing the long distance thing for almost 4 years now, excluding holidays and summer breaks, and we'll be doing it for probably 4 more since she's going to Optometry school in Houston.) Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you all. We'll have to have an SDN cookout or something. :)

Hi gang,
My name is Chris Morrissey, originally from Phillpsburg, Kansas (it is about 20 miles south of Nebraska border, and about three hours east of Colorado). Graduated from Fort Hays State University with a B.S in Athletic Training in 1999. Got married.....have four children....the older two are nieces (Caterina 7, and Arianna 5), then we have Sebastien 18 mo, and Nikolette 2 mo. I have been working at a rural hospital for the last 2.5 years....as a nurse's aide and a respiratory therapist.

I can't wait to meet all of you. I am working on a personal website, will be including DO stuff, so when it is up, I will let you all know (if you care!)

Chris

Hi everyone! My name is Danielle and I'm moving down to KC from all the way up here in Canada! :clap:
I'm originally from Vancouver, British Columbia, and am a West Coast girl at heart--I'm really going to miss living away from the ocean for at least another 3 years, but I'm sure it'll be a great adventure at UHS with all of you! :D

I graduated from Simon Fraser University (in B.C.) in June 2000 and did a BSc in Kinesiology. I think I want to go into FP, Peds, Ob/Gyn, IM....hmmmm...well, maybe I'm not too sure yet afterall! Oh well, I've got the next 4 years to figure that one out. :)

It's great getting to know you all so soon!

Sorry for the snow in Montana, Flea Girl! It's beautiful and sunny out here today!

Hello, my name is Tom. I'm 25, originally from Philadelphia. I graduated in '99 from Notre Dame. I've spent the past few years working as a medical officer at Ft. Stewart, GA (although I've been deployed much of that time). I really enjoy skiing and mountain hiking. I can't wait to move up north again!

I sincerely hope to see you all in August, but right now I'm a bit worried. I have not yet received my official permission to go to school from the army. I might be worrying without reason, but I won't feel completely confident until I get my orders. Wish me luck!

Dear UHS Class of '06,

My name is Hillary Thomas and I'm originally from Sandwich, MA (on Cape Cod) but am currently residing in Boston, MA. I am 22 years old and am finishing up my Master's in Medical Sciences at Boston University School of Medicine, where I officially graduate Sept. 2002. I enjoy running, soccer, RUGBY!, hanging out, singing, acting, and you can usually rope me into other crazy stuff, too. I am ARMY HPSP (Booyah!) and am living on the 10th floor at Century Towers. I am really excited about coming out to KC & I think a SDN cookout over at CT during orientation is a great idea, so count me in! Best wishes until August!

~Hillary :D

Hello future classmates...my name is Laurel and I am moving out to Kansas City from Virginia (DC area). I am also on the Army HPSP!
I am another "non-trad" at 30 years old with 2 daughters! I graduated from the University of Virginia in 1993 and have been mainly a stay at home mom, living in Europe, for the past 4 years. I also worked for the Army overseas last year and currently I'm a clinical trials assistant for a Pharm. co. here in VA.
I still don't know where we are going to live, but working on it. My kids will be in Kindergarten and 2nd grade, by the way.
As for hobbies (currently absent from my life!) I love rollerblading, ice skating, snowboarding, running, reading, and most of all watching medical TV shows(I think I'm making my husband crazy with them).
I can't wait to get to know everyone. Everyone is coming from such different backgrounds, I think it's great.

Good Morning!
My name is Mary Carneval, 29 years old and I currently live in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. I'm originally from Erie, PA. I am very go-with-the-flow laid back. Happiness and harmony are what I seek in life.

I graduated from Gannon University in Erie in 1995 with a B.S. in Medical Technology. I was hired to work in a Clinical Chemistry lab at first, but after a few months got downsized (which turned out to be a blessing) to work in the Donor/Apheresis Center at University Hospitals of Cleveland. What's APHERESIS, you ask? I perform plasma exchanges, red blood cell exchanges, stem cell collections and platelet donations from healthy donors. I'm the Technical Coordinator, so I supervise. You can be a Med Tech (like me) or an RN to be an Apheresis Technician. Kind of like dialysis but you really have to know Transfusion Medicine (blood banking) to do the job. Anyway, being in Apheresis for the past 6 years convinced me that I love medicine and also helping people get healthy.

I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years, and we are most likely going to give the long-distance thing a try. I really hope it works out. I have no children (just him :p ) or pets (LOVE doggies, though!). I love to cook! (Good for you guys!!!!) I used to ski, but have weaned myself off of that slowly and painfully...I like to golf, and LOVE the outdoors, birdwatching, fresh air.

Cookout = great idea!
Take care,
Mary :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. My name is Ken Nguyen. I graduated from the University of Illinois last May in Bioengineering. I enjoy tennis, racquetball, and movies. I'm also still looking for a roommate (by the way). Congratulations to you all, see you all soon.

Hey everyone!

Seems like everyone enjoys the outdoors, running, golfing, etc. You're going to have to pull me out of my house because I enjoy all of those things, but never make the time for them.

Promise me! :)

- Tammy

Hi,
My name is Karen Boehler. I'm 23 and originally from Clinton, MO - Just 1 1/2 hr. south of Kansas City. I graduated from CMSU in May 2001 with a B.S. in biology and a minor in chemistry.
Good luck on finals and see you all in August.
Karen.

Hi guys! My name is Hugh Taylor, I am 25 years old, and I am from Grenada, Mississippi. I graduated in December of 1999 from Delta State University with a B.S. degree in Biology. Since then I have been working as an EMT and an ER tech waiting for medical school. Finally the wait is over! I am married to my wonderful wife Tiffany, and we will be celebrating our one year anniversary on May 19th. I enjoy being outside doing anything, golf, basketball, fishing...Anyway, I look forward to seeing you all in the fall.-hugh

YES!!! A fellow Illini!!! Great to see that you're coming to UHS, Ken! I thought that I might be the only one. :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's fun to see where everyone is from, interests, etc. I'm david keller- finfishing my M.S. in Exercise Physiology in June. Anyone enjoy trialthons? I hope to swim-bike-run in KC!

oh, and I'm at BYU and am also an HPSP-Army guy. :D

ken,
what's up vietnamese person...how are you doing...hope to see you in august..it's coo....to see all of you people....uhhh...you make me soooo happppyyyyy....heehheee
always,
vinh :D

Hey guys! My name is Kevin Nelson. I attended Auburn University and currently working as a pharmacist. I am a possible Army HPSPer --decision to come soon -- and will be living in Century Towers. I enjoy working out (swimming, running, weights) music, golf, movies, theater, tennis, storm chasing!...Look forward to meeting all of you in August.....

No, no, no!!! Anywhere but Auburn. J/K. I went to that school on the other side of the state. Congrats on your acceptance. I am not positive i will be attending yet, on waitlists at state schools (monetary issue), but my decision will be made shortly. Good luck and hope to see you there.

Hello Future Classmates-
My name is Amber, I'm 23. This past year I have been working as a Research Assistant at KU Medical Center. My work is in neuroscience- I cut up rats and put the pieces in a gel (tissue culture). I have a B.A. in Biology and Music from Washburn University in Topeka, KS. I wasn't ready to start applying to medical school before this year and am so glad that I took a year off. I had my interview on April 17th and really enjoyed everything about the school. I currently live in an apartment in Mission, KS (about a 10-15 minute drive from school on the interstate). I am waiting till my lease runs out (and get a feel for where everyone else is living) before I decide if I am going to move closer to school. I may possibly be interested in finding a roomate. I will also be looking for a workout partner(s). I am game for everything esp. kickboxing,swimming, running, rollerblading, lifting,.... Once the stress of being in school hits I will be in the gym every chance I get. Do you all think that the fitness facility at UHS is pathetic? Right now I use the gym at KU and will probably be interested in finding a gym somewhere around town (Gold's, Bally's). I look forward to meeting you all in August. If anyone is moving here before August and wants to hang out- just let me know. Maybe those of us who live here now should meet. I am so excited to begin this next stage of my life. See you all soon!

Hey Everyone. My name is Brian and I will be heading to UHS around August 1. I will be moving from Raleigh, NC and I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I am 22, and I enjoy just about anyting. I am definatly with Amber that the UHS gym needs work but I'm hoping the centruy towers gym will be OK.If anyone is looking for a work-out partner just let me know. All right I will see to all of you in a few months.

PS Let's definatly do that cook out at century towers. Hopefully everyone will move in a little bit early and we can party.

Brian--
Welcome to the class! I too will be working out often too. Although the gym is small at UHS, I think it will be adequate!!

Can't wait till August!

Chris

Hey Qafas, nice summary of how I believe all of us are feeling.

Bradleyp.....yeh, I was a big fan of the school on the other side of the state until I went to AU...I suppose we can find common ground pulling the Chiefs on to victory this fall!

Later,
carpe

Probably, not the Chiefs, at least for a couple of years or the Royals, but then again, Alabama doesn't have too much going for it until around 2010. Are you going to get an apartment or house? I think I am going to buy a house, but am not positive. It is quite a bit more pricey than Birmingham. Maybe I can turn you back over to the Crimson side in the next four.
Brad

I PMed you.

Thanks CarpeDiem......I'm sure most of us feel the same way about this one-of-a-kind experience.
About the Chiefs - I'll be rooting for them this year, though I've never been a big fan. But, I'm sure I can get into them while still maintaining my loyalty to others. I've been kidding with my buddies back home that the Chiefs are going to kick ass this year......wouldn't it be something if they actually do?!? :) Just a bit of wishful thinking, suppose, but anything is possible.... case in point - I got into med school!!! :D

Earlier on this thread, I expressed some anxiety about not getting my release from the army to go to school. I can now happily report that I finally got word (after almost 3 threes!) that my release was approved. Prepare to see a very happy med school student next August!

What's with UHS's website? Are they ever going to update the academic calendar?

Congratulations T.A.M.!! :clap:
You must be so relieved!

~~Danielle~~

bradleyp,

I'll be staying in Century Towers at least the first year and will probably scope out the whole buy vs rent question during the year.

Not a chance of turning the Tide on my loyalties...except maybe in basketball where I lean toward Kentucky

carpe

Hey Carpe Diem,
Good to see another Alabamian in the class(even if they are from Auburn.) You can tell where I went to school. :) Seriously though, it looks like there are several of us from Alabama in the class. I look forward to meeting everyone in August.

Hi everyone,
I just thought I would introduce myself to my fellow classmates. My name is Hilary and I will be moving from Jackson, MS to Century Towers (10th floor) in August. I graduated from Mississippi University for Women in 2000 with a degree in Microbiology. I have been working in psychiatric neurobiological research for the past 2 years. I can't wait to meet all of you!!

Hi Hilary,
welcome aboard, to UHS and to CT. I debated the whole CT issue for a while, and have decided to go with it. I will probably be on the ninth floor, pending confirmation.
Look forward to meeting you.

Hi all,

Well I thought I would introduce myself to all my future classmates. I am 21 yrs old and just graduated from University of Rochester in Rochester, NY with a double degree in Biology and Religion. I was accepted to UHS about 3 months ago but had a really tough time deciding between NYCOM and UHS.... I kept on going back and forth between the two schools. Anyway, I have finally made my permanent decision to come to UHS this fall!! I am orginally from Colorado so I thought it would be best to come back closer to home after being in NY for the past 4 years. Well through what I have read in all of the other UHS threads, I'm really glad w/ my decision- you guys seem like a really friendly crowd! :) I look forward to moving out to KC and meeting all of you guys- I feel like I know some of you already!! I don't really know where I'm going to be living yet but I'll probably be driving out to KC next weekend (since I'm home in Colorado now) to go apartment hunting... If anyone has any good suggestions on apartments then please let me know. Are most first years living in Century Towers or somewhere else???

Thanks,
ShrubbyDoc:)

Hi ShrubbyDoc,
I think you made a good decision in sticking with UHS! :) I don't know much about NYCOM, but I, too, have sensed the friendliness of the UHS crowd. I think we'll all have a wonderful time in KC.
As for apartments, I think many of us are going to be living at Century Towers; although, gathering from misc. other posts, there are plenty of students who will be living elsewhere.
I think that north of the river seems to be a good place. I did look into several apt.s before finally deciding to go with CT, simply because it is close to school. I would suggest checking out <a href="http://www.forrent.com" target="_blank">www.forrent.com</a> and <a href="http://www.apartmentguide.com" target="_blank">www.apartmentguide.com</a> before you head out to KC.
Good Luck!

Hi I'm David and will be moving from St. Louis on Aug. 5. I will be living in CT. I graduated from Truman State U. in '99 with a Biology degree. I am a big Cardinal baseball fan and will be in KC on June 9 to watch the Cards play the Royals. While in KC I will look up the Financial Aide people. Is there any one considering the DO/MBA program? I think the best place for Bar-B-Q in KC is definitely Arthur Bryant's. Have a good holiday weekend!!