UHS students class of 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamTeam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I recently got accepted to UHS and we were wondering if there are any other married incoming students/possibly with children out there. We are looking for housing and good school districts at the elementary school level. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We are so excited about this school and can't wait to start in the Fall.

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year, and my wife is a teacher in the North Kansas City School District. It seems to be a nice district, and she really loves her kids. If you have any questions about it, please ask and I will find out from her for you. BTW, many UHS students live at Bennington Risge Apartments which is not far from anything. I do not know the boundaries of the North Kansas City School District, but it isn't far from Bennington.

Another possibility is living around Barry Rd./I-29/HWY 169. There are lots of UHS students around here, although, I admit, not as concentrated as in Bennington Ridge. It is a good area if you are looking for a larger place or a house, depending on the size of your family, it is not excessively expensive, it is very convenient to school (about 20 min in the morning), safe and family oriented. The school district is the Platte County district which is considered a very good one.

There are also a couple of excellent private schools around here, if you should prefer this route.

We live 3 blocks from the local elementary school, in a very quiet area. Little traffic, a couple of parks at walking distance and grocery shopping and a mall literally 5 minutes away.

Welcome to UHS and let me know if I can help you with any more info. By the way, where are you guys moving from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am, also, starting at UHS this fall and my wife is an elementary school teacher so this topic is of interest to us. Thanks for the input! We are currently looking for a townhouse/condo that we could buy. If any UHS students are familiar with reasonably priced (and safe) areas please let me know. I am on the waiting list at Riverside townhouses and have talked to Northbrighton and one other, but I am still in the market. My wife is already a Kansas certified teacher, so we would like to find a place that she could commute to KCK or Overland Park for work. Thanks
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by bri1856 (edited 03-11-2000).]

Personally, I think the neighborhoods around Brookside (south of the plaza) are the nicest, best established, and most enjoyable neighborhoods I have seen. Neighborhood private schools, beautiful homes of all price ranges, beautiful churches, and definite neighborhood charm. North of the river is too sterile and generic, Brookside and the surrounding areas have a friendlier and better feel.

are there any biomedical research companies in KC I might be going there (if the interview goes well) and my wife currently works in a DNA lab. I was just wondering about job opportunities for her.

There is a large institute being built in KC by some billionaire. I am certain that the institute will need qualified help. There is an article in Science in one of the October issues of '99 talking about philanthropists funding biomedical research and this particular individual and his project are a major part of that article. Additionally, there are other medical schools that do a lot of research in the area. Sorry, but I don't know about biotech companies in the area.

Hi. I start UHS in the fall and I live in Kansas City. Here are some of the Biotech companies I have heard of. The institute being built in KC is going to focus on cancer research but I don't think it will be done for a couple of years. Some of the companies in Kansas City to check out are: Bayer- it has three or four locations. It sounds like the one your wife would be interested in is the one that does animal health research. It is located in Lenexa, KS at about 75th and I-35.

Quintiles- which does research. They have a few locations all over Kansas City.

LabOne- is a temp to perm agency that helps place people in Bio/Chem jobs.

The Kansas City Blood Bank- handles blood work and DNA typing and other stuff.

There are some other privately owned companies that does DNA testing but I am not for sure there names. If you and your wife do come to KC. look in the KC Star(KC's newspaper) or on their website at www.kcstar. In the classified section there will be jobs listed and temp. agencies that might be able to help.
Good Luck! Hope this info. helps.

We have been so excited since we've heard of our acceptance. Can't wait to meet all of you future classmates in August!!
tongue.gif

We've done quite a bit of research to plan for the big move out to Kansas City from San Diego. We're planning on moving in July some time. If anyone has any tips on how to save $$$ and keep the expenses at a minimum--please, by all means--fire away!
eek.gif

Also, are there any noticeable differences between living in Missouri vice Kansas??

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

There is not much difference between living in Kansas and Missouri. I have lived in Kansas City all my life. I grew up on the Missouri side and now live on the Kansas side. The greater Kansas City Metro covers all the areas in Kansas and Missouri and basically they are the same. Both states have bad and good areas, so you do have to be careful where you move. There tends to be nicer areas in Kansas in Johnson County, but it also tends to be more expensive. The nice areas in Missouri that are relatively close to school are Blue Springs, Lee's Summit and up north. Kansas City (the city, not the surrounding suburbs) for both Missouri and Kansas are not the best places to live. Also the Kansas City, Missouri school district is about to lose it accreditation. Up north on the Missouri side is pretty nice. This is considered North Kansas City and is different from Kansas City. Kansas City, MO also has an extra city tax if you live there or work there you have to pay it. Everything is pretty close and nothing takes that long to reach. From almost anywhere all the major attractions are only 20-30min away. It also has no bearing on the school what state you live in. Both states have their problems. For example, Kansas is better about clearing the highways and streets when it snows. But all the major attractions, (the plaza, the sport teams, Worlds-of-Fun, Oceans-of-Fun) are all in Missouri. Also, Kansas is a no fault state for car accidents, therefore your insurance pays for the damage to your car and the other person's insurance pays for his damage, even if it is not your fault. This was kind of long just to say that there is no real difference between the states. But I hope it helps.

Thanks so much, Julie.
biggrin.gif
A response can never be too long if one doesn't know much about an area. You have been very helpful. Have you picked out a home yet? We are looking at two possible townhomes, one in Overland Park and the other is in Olathe. We'll probably have to make a trip out there in May to decide which one we'd like to live in. When do most out of state students make the big move--if there's anyone else out there from out of state?!?

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

I was wondering about the interview and acceptance process. Is there anyone out there who was accepted for the fall? I had my interview on Moday the 20th of March, the interview went verrrry well, better than expected, and I was wondering how long it took for the letter from the school to arrive. Some of the students said they got theirs within a week. Just wondering?

I was at the 3-20-00 interview also. My interviewers said that acceptance letters would go out on 4-3-00. Glad your interview went well. I was really impressed with the whole package and hope that UHS is in my near future!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guylon07 and flipper,
We interviewed on March 3rd and we were told that the committee would meet on Wednesday the 8th and the letters would go out Thursday the 9th. We ended up calling the school that Thursday morning and finding out the we both got in. The hardest thing to do is to wait for that response. So many things went through my mind just waiting around to hear. It seems as if you have another week to wait. The only thing I can tell you is hang in there--as tough as it may be. We've been in your spots and we know what it's like. We hope it turns out for the best and we see you in the fall.

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

Hello again,'
Are any of you planning to buy a house while in school, or are you planning on renting. I was shocked to say the least when I saw how cheap houses were around there. In milwaukee, where I currently live, you cant get a nice house in a decent neighborhood for under 130K. How are the cities of Excelsior Springs or liberty? I haven't been accepted yet, my interview isn't until april3rd. It doesn't hurt to plan ahead though.

Has everyone received the financial aid application and package from UHS? Does anyone know about how long it takes before we hear what financial aid we qualify for?

No, My husband and I have not decided where we are moving. Most likely we will move to a duplex in Overland Park or Olathe.

Also, does anyone know when school starts and when the activities begin for new students?

------------------
UHS Class of 2004

hey julie and dream team,
i just wanted to say hi since we will all be going to school in the fall. i would like to meet up with some of you before school starts. i will probably move there in early august. it would be great to meet you guys. do you happen to know how much a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment costs??

meredith

Meredith-

One bedroom apt. can range from $400 to $800 and two bedroom apt. can range from $500 to $1000. It all depends on what area you want to live. I would figure somewhere in between the ranges, because the lower end tends to be the areas that are not that nice and the higher ends are the really expensive areas.

I think all of us getting together before school starts is a great idea. Maybe around the first of August we could have a Bar-Q at one of the area parks. (there are some nice parks and lakes in KC)

[This message has been edited by Julie (edited 03-28-2000).]

Add another Texan to the class of UHS2004!!!!

She'll probably shoot me for this...for those of us that interviewed on 3-20-00, acceptance letters went out yesterday,3-27-00.

Minnie Mars, Director of Admissions, 1-800-234-4847 ext 339, will let you know your status if you call her!!!

A BBQ at a park sounds like a blast!! My wife, kids and I look forward to meeting all our new and future classmates ASAP.

Gotta go make all those phone calls to friends and family....

See y'all really soon...

Eric J.

I don't have the info in front of me, but I believe orientation for first years begins in early-mid August. If you are applying for financial aid, they will give you lots of stuff about it during your orientation week. I wouldn't expect to hear anything about what funds you have been loaned until after school starts. I may be wrong.

Hello to all that will be starting in the fall and congrats!!! Just found out about my acceptance. WHAT A RELIEF!!! Well just wanted to say congrats and good luck to everyone and by the way a cookout sounds great!!
Jodie

Guylon07 and Flipper--CONGRATULATIONS!!!
eek.gif

That's fantastic!! What a feeling, eh?? Go tell EVERYONE--even strangers--they'll get a kick out it. And, the best thing is--you worked hard and you deserve it!!

Julie, a BBQ is August sounds great and we look forward to it. Count us in!! We just submitted our fees, so I assume that the financial aid office will soon send us our packet. We returned our credit history form and received a reply on that, but the packet is yet to be seen. We'll keep you posted on that.

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

Congrats to everyone! I look foward to meeting all of you. Im pretty sure orientation week starts Monday, Aug. 14th. Im planning on moving up around the 1st or 2nd just so I will have time to get situated. See you all soon!

Hi everyone! I'm Eric and my wife and I found out I was accepted to the class of 2004, yesterday! We are exctied! We want to come to the BBQ, too! We are considering where to live and when we were there, we felt the North of the river area seemed best as far as distance to the school and highway convienance. We were considering buying a home but are now leaning towards renting a home. We own a home in SLC, UT and are concerned about selling this house before buying another. We would love to hear from anyone and everyone and I would like to say CONGRATS to everyone who is attending UHS. It was our number one choice and we are thrilled and releived that we will be attending there!!!!!

Hello everyone,

I will be attending UHS in the fall as well. Congratulations nd look forward to meeting everyone in the fall!!

Necee
UHS Class of 2004

------------------
Relax and Breath Deeply! Necee

I suppose this is a general concern with everyone, but has ANYONE received a financial aid packet from UHS yet?? Our fees have been submitted recently, so I was thinking that it would take a while for us to get it. However, reading the other postings, it seems as if NO ONE has received it yet, is this true?? Just wanted to ask you all before I called the financial aid office to inquire about the packets. If no one replies, I will call the office Monday and I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers to you!! UHS Class of 2004!!!!!!

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

In my acceptance letter from UHS, I believe it says something about financial aid packages being sent out mid-May.

Found the letter: "Forms used to apply for financial aid will be forwarded at a time determined by the Financial Aid Department."

The mid-may reference was for info on registration and orientation.

If you want to fill out the FAFSA online, you can do that at http://www.ed.gov/offices/OPE/express.html.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help!!

Looking forward to meeting you soon!!

Eric J
UHS2004

dreamteam,
I have recieved my FA packet (3/23). They told me that they would begin sending them out the 3rd week of March.

Great!! Thanks for the info. IDAHO, did it take a while after you sent off your fees to receive your packet?? I'll keep my eye out for it.

Here are some helpful UHS info from our student guide who emailed me back after we told her we got accepted.
"I can't remember if I explained the White Coating Ceremony to you or
not, so I'll do it again. During Orientation Week, the ceremony will take
place. At that time you will be "coated" by a D.O. and then the whole class
will take an oath. The ceremony is held in the nicest place that holds a
lot of people in town. It is where all of the Broadway musicals are when
they come to KC. Then, after the ceremony, there is a very fancy reception
with nice food, ice sculptures, bands, etc. President Pletz spares no
expense!
I can't emphasize enough how much you should encourage family to come.
If I were you I would move out here a few weeks or so before orientation
begins and get your house settled. Then, invite all your family that is
available to come for the ceremony and to see your new place, school, and
KC. The ceremony is generally on Thursday night, and then on Friday you
only have a few hours of registration type stuff to do. So, if you wanted
to, your family could stay over the weekend.
Other little tidbits of info:
- If you apply for financial aid, just keep in mind that you will
not receive it any earlier than 30 days after school begins. The school is
not allowed to give out any funds until that point, so save up for that
month. It always catches people off guard!
- You will both receive a big brother/big sister during the summer.
They will be a person who is currently in their first year of school. They
can be very valuable for passing down old exams, study tips, etc. However,
make sure to research and ask other people about ideas and suggestions from
people -- not everyone studies like everyone else.
- As far as the equipment list you will receive -- do research for
it as well. I bought all of mine from a site I found on the internet.
- Unless they work things different next year, you will be spending
a lot of time together. Since you share the same last name you will
probably be in several groups together (probably is the key word). Make
sure you find time to do non-school activities together too. If I remember
right, you had a daughter -- so this shouldn't be a problem.
- Call the school if you have any questions about anything. Mary
Kay in the financial aid office is very helpful and so is pretty much
everyone else at school. If you have questions definitely find someone to
ask.
- Lastly, relax and enjoy your last few months before school starts.
It will be very fun and exciting, but also challenging at times. I'm very
happy for both of you and hope you really enjoy next year!"

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL!!!!! :)

Anna and Brandon

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

Hey dreamteam! I received my packet a couple of weeks ago. I also called them to find out about the timeline.. They said they are still currently sending out FA packets, and that they will then go through the completed ones, at the earliest, in May. Sometime early summer we should get a letter stating how much $$ we can get, and whether we choose to accept it or not.

I sent in my deposit what seems like ages ago, in October. I'm sure they'll send the rest of them out pretty soon. I would definately do all the FAFSA stuff ASAP, because it may be selected for "verification" like mine was, and I had to send all my tax papers in..

Hope this helps a bit. I can't wait to meet all of you this August.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Thanks for the additional information about the White Coating ceremony and the other tips. We were all told this information during our interviews but with everything else going on, you forget the details. What areas are the incoming students looking to move towards? My wife, Amy, and I are thinking North of the River. Any thoughts?

Eric

Hello Eric,
I believe from what others have posted, that most students live North of the River at Bennington Ridge Apts. We are looking at Overland Park and Olathe mainly because of good school districts for our daughter(will be in 4th grade). If I had no restrictions on where to live, I too would live North of the River where the rental rates are more reasonable. Congratulations on your acceptance. I bet you'll miss the skiing in SLC though--but for good reason!!
frown.gif

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

[This message has been edited by dreamTeam (edited 04-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dreamTeam (edited 04-03-2000).]

Just flew in from a long weekend in KC. We were there all weekend looking for apartments. We looked at 15 apartments/ townhomes over the past few days (busy weekend). We will be living in the south east about 10 miles from school. The sports stadiums, shopping, the plaza, state parks, and UHS will all be within 15-20 minutes. The only concern I have is the traffic coming from the south. However, I am coming from the Baltimore/Washington, DC area so I couldn't imagine more traffic than here. What I found is that those in the north prefer the north while thouse in the east and south prefer their part of the city. I found the apartments to be smaller and and more expensive up in North KC. We found a beautiful 2BR/2bath with washer/dryer in a gated comunity for $665/mo. Any of you current residents have any thoughts about living in the south-eastern 70/435 area?

Hey, mt, what is the name of the place you are going to be living? Sounds like exactly what my boyfriend and I are looking for. Is it a townhouse or an apartment? Thanks!

Rebecca

Hi, everyone!

I think I found a good park for us to have a BBQ at in August. It is pretty close to a HWY and is easy to find. It will also be easy for the people living up north, the people living in olathe and overland park, and the people living more east to get to. It is on 67th st. and I-35. It has a playground for kids, a pond, and places to cook-out. I am going to call and see if it is possible to reserve one of the shelters.
Let me know if this park sounds ok.

Wishing everyone good luck with the move to Kansas City. See you all soon!!!!!!!

Julie

------------------
UHS Class of 2004

Julie, sounds good to me!!

Sounds great to us!!!

Eric J.

Thanks for finding the park, Julie - we'll see you there! Also... does anyone know if there will be an available list of the students for this fall's class? I met a guy from Utah and would love to share a Uhaul with him...

Thanks! Eric

Hey Julie,

Are there mesquite trees in KC or do I have to bring my own for the bar-b-que?!

Looking forward to meeting EVERYONE....

Eric J
UHS04

I'm not sure about the list of students. I think we get one when we get there with everyone's KC phone #'s, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, we could start a list for all of us. There seems to be quite a few. I guess I can start one.
smile.gif
Anyone who wants to be on this list can just email me with your name, email, perhaps address, phone #, and how about alma mater? (or any other interesting info) I'll keep it all in an Excel worksheet, and anytime anyone wants it, I'll email it to you. It also might be helpful tracking people down for the BBQ. (Thanks Julie for doing some legwork on it!)
smile.gif

My email is: [email protected]

Look forward to meeting all of you BEFORE school!

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Another idea given to me was to include kids if you have any (names/ages) on our list. This might help out some of the displaced spouses in getting to know others.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

WHAT A GREAT PARTY THIS WILL BE!!!!!!

Does everyone think they'll all be there by the 5th of August?? This might be helpful in deciding on the day for the BBQ. Can everyone forward yay or nay on the 5th to SD, that is if SD doesn't mind. I have a feeling that orientation week starts on the 7th this year and classes start on the 14th. I'll have to confirm this and get back to you. Thanks for finding the park Julie!! It'll be so much fun meeting all of you--can't wait!!
biggrin.gif

Anna and Brandon

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

Does anyone know exactly when orientation week starts? I need to start planning some time lines! Thanks!
Eric

I believe that orientation starts the 14th, and classes the 21st. I'll call tomorrow and find out for sure.

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Sara was right!! Orientation will start the week of the 14th and classes begin on the 21st. We spoke with Mary Kay in the financial aid office today to confirm. She also told us that not getting funds until approx. 30 days after school starts is a worst case scenario. They like to tell students this so that they can prepare for it if it happens. One other info that may interest some of you is health insurance. We are currently working and have insurance through work. We were told that we can continue to use this until we stop work and during orientation, we will be given out information regarding health insurance plans in the Kansas City area. Financial aid will then take those payments into consideration and will disburse money at a later time to cover insurance for the year.

Good job on the phone list, Sara!!

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

Hello everyone,
The party sounds great. Make sure and count me in. My fiance and I will be moving up there probably the last week in July so we will definitly be there for the cook out. Look forward to meeting all of you. Hey Julie since you live in KC do you know of any places where my fiance can begin looking for a job. She is a Nurse Practitioner. Do you know of hospitals or clinics where we should or should not look. Any help would be great.

Okay, so far, we have 8 students (plus 4 additional non-student spouses) on the list.. That represents a little over 3.5% of our class! Whew. 96.5% more of us to find.

Keep them coming.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Okay, one more thing (sorry to all of you who have already replied!), someone mentioned to me that we might want to include hobbies/special interests? Also, how about where you plan on living in KC, for instance, which apartment complex or area of town? If you want to add/change anything let me know. We're up to 9 students, 13 total with spouses.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Hi, everyone!

Guylon07, I haven't heard of a place hiring Nurse Practitioners. I am not for sure if the hospitals are a good place to start. I worked in one for a year and I was never aware that they had any nurse Practitioners. But one of the nurses I worked with went back to school to become one and he worked part time with a group of doctors in a smaller town close to KC. I would look in the KCstar (KC's newpaper). Also, there are temporary nursing agencies that might be able to direct your wife in the right direction. Hope that helps.

About Health Insurances. My husband and I have an individual policy(not through work). We went to Prudential. Our prem. is $135 a month. This covers everything with a $15 dallor copay, $500 deductible for hospital and $50 max. prescription card(once the $50 is met they pay all other prescriptions). If anyone is interested in the number to prudential, just e-mail me. Also, there are many org. that handle individual policies. You can find there phone number in the Yellow pages, this is how I got our health insurance policy.

Flipper,
I'm not for sure about mesquite trees so you might want to bring your own. But than again I don't BBQ much ( I let my husband do that) We have mesquite bricks that you put in the BBQ. Is that the same thing?

mt-

The 435/70 area is not a bad area. You will probably run into a lot of traffic. 70 is one of the main HWYs into and out of down town. But if you leave early you should not have a problem.

Julie

------------------
UHS Class of 2004

count me in on the BBQ!