UHS vs UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like I will possibly be having to make a choice between UHS and UNE which I found both of them to be excellent.

The deciding factor is going to be which school gives the best opportunity to pursue a field outside of primary care (ie ER, surgury).

Anyone have some thoughts, suggestions on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I just returned from UHS and have the matchlist for the last year's class. I will figure out what the percentage of non primary care specialties are and get back to you. I do remember that they had 5 first choice anastesiology (sp?) residents and one neuro surg.

WannabeDO

UHS was the one school that really gave me the feeling that they do not try to push their students into primary care. Although UNE did have a number of students go to surgery, anesthesia, and others. From what I've heard it has more to do on how you do in school rather than what school you went to when it comes competitive residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
WannabeDO, are you going to post those match results?

Here are the numbers for UHS Class of 2002:

Specialty: #
Anest. 6 (+3 in TRI)
Radiology 3
Emerg. 20
Gen. Surg 13
Orth surg. 5
orthopedics 1
Otolaryn/facial surg 2
Pathology 1
Preliminary Surgery 2
Psychiatry 6 (+1 internship)
Surgery/ENT 1
Trans. Year/ Aerospace Med 1
Urological Surg 1
Urology 1

Everyone else is primary care or Transitional year, etc.

As a member of the UHS 2002 class, I can tell you that the only thing that steered people in my class into primary care was their own personal choice of going into primary care. Absolutely no one that I know off had any trouble matching into a non primary care field, and at very strong programs too (Mayo in Rochester and FL and the Cleveland Clinic to name a couple of the better known).

During my 4 years at UHS, there was never a single time when I felt the school was trying to convince or pressure us into choosing a primary care specialty.

Although I hated a lot of the politics at UHS, I feel I got excellent training there. If you stay out of the politicking (and all med schools have that, it is not a "UHS exclusive", although it seems that DO schools have a greater share of it than allopathic schools) you will be very happy with the education you will receive at UHS. Not to mention that the facilities are state of the art and KC is a very liveable city.

I cannot speak about UNE but I would choose UHS again if I had to do it over (thank goodness I don't :D , being a medical student once was more than enough!)