UHSA-Antigua students---interesting news on changing law in Antigua which affects you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azskeptic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned today that the Antigua govt enacted a Resolution which reads as follows:

Resolution of the Government of Antigua and Barbuda

"It is hereby resolved that the government of Antigua and Barbuda hereby adopts the standards and procedures of the New York State Education Department for approval of Foreign Medical Schools as the government of Antigua and Barbuda's standards for accreditation of medical schools in Antigua and Barbuda.

The government of Antigua and Barbuda hereby resolves that in order for a medical school to obtain approval to operate in the country of Antigua and Barbuda the medical school must successfully complete the approval process for international medical schools conducted by the New York State Department of Education.

In addition, if a medical school has clinical sites that are outside the jurisdiction of the New York State Education Department that site must be reviewed by expert medical consultants using the same standards and procedures used to evaluate clinical sites by the New York State Education Department.

In order for a medical school to operate in the country of Antigua and Barbuda, the medical school must successfully complete the New York State Education Department approval process for International Medical Schools and have all of its clinical sites approved by an independent consultant selected by the government of Antigua and Barbuda within 3 years of accepting its initial medical school class. In the case of a pre-existing medical school in Antigua and Barbuda compliance must be within one year of the enactment of this resolution."

What does this mean for UHSA students?

1. Verify that this resolution is correct with the Antigua govt and when the year is up..I believe it is December 2004.

http://www.antigua.gov.ag/parliament/ombudsman/contact.htm

2. If I was you I'd verify that your administration has got New York State Education Department approval. You can do that by contacting:

New York State Board for Medicine (Licensure)
Thomas J. Monahan, Executive Secretary
89 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor, West Wing
Albany, NY 12234
(518) 474-3817 Ext. 560 / Fax:(518) 486-4846
www.op.nysed.gov

arizona skeptic

Members don't see this ad.

azskeptic said:
I learned today that the Antigua govt enacted a Resolution which reads as follows:

Resolution of the Government of Antigua and Barbuda

"It is hereby resolved that the government of Antigua and Barbuda hereby adopts the standards and procedures of the New York State Education Department for approval of Foreign Medical Schools as the government of Antigua and Barbuda's standards for accreditation of medical schools in Antigua and Barbuda.

The government of Antigua and Barbuda hereby resolves that in order for a medical school to obtain approval to operate in the country of Antigua and Barbuda the medical school must successfully complete the approval process for international medical schools conducted by the New York State Department of Education.

In addition, if a medical school has clinical sites that are outside the jurisdiction of the New York State Education Department that site must be reviewed by expert medical consultants using the same standards and procedures used to evaluate clinical sites by the New York State Education Department.

In order for a medical school to operate in the country of Antigua and Barbuda, the medical school must successfully complete the New York State Education Department approval process for International Medical Schools and have all of its clinical sites approved by an independent consultant selected by the government of Antigua and Barbuda within 3 years of accepting its initial medical school class. In the case of a pre-existing medical school in Antigua and Barbuda compliance must be within one year of the enactment of this resolution."

What does this mean for UHSA students?

1. Verify that this resolution is correct with the Antigua govt and when the year is up..I believe it is December 2004.

http://www.antigua.gov.ag/parliament/ombudsman/contact.htm

2. If I was you I'd verify that your administration has got New York State Education Department approval. You can do that by contacting:

New York State Board for Medicine (Licensure)
Thomas J. Monahan, Executive Secretary
89 Washington Avenue, 2nd Floor, West Wing
Albany, NY 12234
(518) 474-3817 Ext. 560 / Fax:(518) 486-4846
www.op.nysed.gov

arizona skeptic

If you can't get the Antigua govt. to respond, ask the US Embassy staff
to find out for you.

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/bb1/wwwhemb1.html