UHS's Early Clinical Experience

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Docgeorge, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Docgeorge

Docgeorge Bent Over and Violated
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was just currious, when do you get the early clinical experience? Is it during the regular school year or it it during the summer?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scanner

Scanner Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

UHS offers a couple of different types of early clinical experiences. The first is offered (and required) during your first year. You will spend a couple of afternoons at a local children's hospital. For the most part, it is a passive experience. The second type occurs after your 1st year. You set it up with a physician yourself. It can be anywhere in the country. They provide a list if you need help locating docs. This experience has a chance to be a lot more hands-on. Really just depends on the doctor.

Hopes this helps.

4. Docgeorge

Docgeorge Bent Over and Violated
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thats totally cool!!! My first experience with medicine was when I was 15 and volunteering at the local hospital. I was the only person there under 65 who was a volunteer. They put me in the front desk and had me say "welcome to LB community hospital, how may I help you?" This was the hospital admins view of how I should get exposed to medicine. Well this surgeon would walk by me every day as he went to do his rounds and after about two weeks he came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was interested in medicine and this was the only way I could find out about it. He told me that I was never going to find out about medicine that way and invited me to come to his office instead. I would tag along with him and I would see the patients who did not mind me being there. I rember after working with this surgeon for about 3 weeks, I get a call at my house about 2am. He wanted to know if I wanted to see an emergency appy. After that night I was hooked. I knew I wanted to be a doctor and a surgeon. It would be really cool to be able to go back and work with him as a medical studet!!!!