UI Rockford Rotations for M3 and M4-Lots of exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvgApplcnt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm starting at Urbana-Champaign this year and supposed to go to Rockford afterwards but it seems like the rotations are more limited than at the other campuses. Is this true? Do you get to go through nephrology, derm, anesth, optho, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I can't help you with your q's, but I'm starting at UIUC this fall also. I've started a UIC non chicago thread in pre allo, but it doesn't look like there are many of us out there.

hey avg & shiz...

congrats on getting in... y'all will love m1 @ uiuc (become one with "the martha"... you'll see).

as for what happens in 2 years when you make m3 @ rockford... we're not limited, per se. granted, we have less number of practitioners that chicago has, however, you can certainly do all those other things. nephro and derm are 4th year electives, and ophtho can be done as part of m3 surgery as well as a 4th year elective.

and, since we're technically UIC students, anything open to them in chicago is also open to us... this helps you get around the "traffic rules" in rockford your 4th year... which you'll learn about later.

good luck in cham-bana... highly recommend 2 e. main for drinks, especially since one of the med school ta's manages it. d=)

-tim
uicom-r, m4

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, as tim mentioned rotations in rockford are limited somewhat but you can always find someone to work with. even though there might not be a formal rotation listed you can follow around anyone you want by simply going up to them and asking them and they'll work in a makeshift rotation for you. it's really laid back here in those terms. no residents means you are the resident. i've talked to my chicago counterparts who have not yet written a single order, done any procedures like intubation, putting in lines, etc. whereas i've done all of those things and more. and i've only been on internal medicine for 7 weeks now. the experience here is amazing. you couldn't get me to switch to chicago now for all the money in the world. good luck in champaign, you guys will like it there too. any questions, you can PM me anytime.

imtiaz said:
yeah, as tim mentioned rotations in rockford are limited somewhat but you can always find someone to work with. even though there might not be a formal rotation listed you can follow around anyone you want by simply going up to them and asking them and they'll work in a makeshift rotation for you. it's really laid back here in those terms. no residents means you are the resident. i've talked to my chicago counterparts who have not yet written a single order, done any procedures like intubation, putting in lines, etc. whereas i've done all of those things and more. and i've only been on internal medicine for 7 weeks now. the experience here is amazing. you couldn't get me to switch to chicago now for all the money in the world. good luck in champaign, you guys will like it there too. any questions, you can PM me anytime.

i second that. rockford is great. just the other day i delivered a baby on my own with no help (supervised of course). I know students who just watch or do little things like vial blood and "assist" in placental delivery. rockford is great because you get an opportunity to do more and it's just you and the attending... plus imtiaz is here and its always fun hearing his stories on medicine and how he's in love with some nurse :laugh:

i would also just add that another advantage to not having residents is that (as a medical student) you get more involved in the treatment of each individual patient. you get to know patients at a much deeper level when its only you and the attending responsible for the patients care.