UIC....AppliCANT vs. AppliCATION in process ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yzf600

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to confirm what the difference is between these two messages on UIC's status page?

APPLICANT vs APPLICATION in progress?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been able to confirm what the difference is between these two messages on UIC's status page?

I called a few times and nothing. One guy said theres no difference the other person, "thats interesting." I have shuffled between the two a few times now. I have no clue.

I've had "application in process" since late july. This is getting very frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)

I called the UIC Admissions Office and spoke with a very nice lady. She said that Applicant In Process status means that your application is being reviewed by the admissions committee "as we speak". She also said that I should hear something in another 2 weeks or so...

I hope this helps!

I called the UIC Admissions Office and spoke with a very nice lady. She said that Applicant In Process status means that your application is being reviewed by the admissions committee "as we speak". She also said that I should hear something in another 2 weeks or so...

I hope this helps!

:laugh: I got the same answer from them one month ago. Hopefully you have better luck. I have been shifting between the two for a while now. I talked to a few people there, I got the same answer as you a couple times and a few responses were, there is no difference.

Right now, I am in "Application is in Process," and I called earlier today..I was told that I have been out to review for a while now and she doesnt know when the application will come back.

Basically, it all depends on who is reviewing our application. Good luck :luck:

I also went from Application in process to Applicant in Process about six weeks ago. I was told by a lady that the phrasing makes no difference, but that I was out for review and that I should hear within two weeks. After a month of hearing that, I got an invite for an interview. So I am assuming that when they put "applicant in process" it just means "ok...uve been out for review...now u should hear sometime soon" That's just speculation tho. I just thought I would share my experience.

wierd.....

a friend of mine was complete almost 3 weeks before me and is "application in process," and I'm still "applicant."

has anyone else heard otherwise?

Furthering the debate...

My status--having been "application in process" since early september--has just changed to "applicant." I'll keep everyone posted as to whether an interview invite (or something else...) follows shortly thereafter.

Furthering the debate...

My status--having been "application in process" since early september--has just changed to "applicant." I'll keep everyone posted as to whether an interview invite (or something else...) follows shortly thereafter.

i sent an update letter three weeks ago and changed to 'applicant in process' the next day. probably just a coincidence, because that's where i still am.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kudos to whoever said that as soon as they sent a letter, their status changed from "application in process" to "applicant in process". I called, and the next day, mine changed the same way. Ironic? I think not. ;)

Cheers to being meticulous and neurotic to notice that a three letter difference serves evidence that we're mildly over-stressed.:scared:

Hey, I'm an "applicant in process" now!!! Thank you status page for finally changing... however, i have a sneaking suspicion it automatically changes on your 100th status check, and that's when the adcom decides to review your files.. so my advice? Check your status 50 times tonight if you want an interview before all the spots are gone!

PS- How long is it taking people to go from "applicant" to a decision??

i have a sneaking suspicion it automatically changes on your 100th status check, and that's when the adcom decides to review your files.

i hear after your 1000th status check, you get a 10% discount on next year's application fee. at the rate i'm checking, i should be there by the end of this week!

We're all a little bit nuts, but I choose to blame the gutwrenching system and not any personal faults. :)

Mine said "application in process" from when I was complete till I scheduled my interview.
I'm glad I did not read this thread till after my interview invite, I would have gone nuts!
We are a paranoid bunch aren't we? UIC............... show some love!

I have a question. Does any1 know whether after you get an interview, the decision is solely based off of your performance at the interview? I am confused about this because I know that some schools do that, but I don't know UIC's policy on this?

I have a question. Does any1 know whether after you get an interview, the decision is solely based off of your performance at the interview? I am confused about this because I know that some schools do that, but I don't know UIC's policy on this?

i can't see any schools doing it like this. b/c if a 40/4.0 interviews a little worse than a 26/3.0, 99.9% of schools will accept the 40/4.0 I believe. So there is no clean slate, but the interview is definately considered.. maybe up to 50% of decision.

Also, I can see the interview hurting a strong candidate more than helping a poor one.

Now I'm even more paranoid....

I'm starting to think an "applicant in process" so soon means they've screened out my file and are ready to send the rejection with a batch of others. :scared:

hope this isn't the case.....has anyone else been "applicant" immediately after completion?

I'm starting to think an "applicant in process" so soon means they've screened out my file and are ready to send the rejection with a batch of others. :scared:

hope this isn't the case.....has anyone else been "applicant" immediately after completion?

Me :( Hadn't thought about it like that, though....

To make you feel better(or maybe less paranoid), last year mine said "application in process" from day one till I got rejected w/o an interview :( (and you can be certain that I checked my status every hour on the hour from the moment I put my secondary in the mail :) ).
I don't think "applicant" vs "application" means anything significant.
Just breeeeaaath.
I said a little prayer for ya'll last nite even though I don't know you. :)

To make you feel better(or maybe less paranoid), last year mine said "application in process" from day one till I got rejected w/o an interview :( (and you can be certain that I checked my status every hour on the hour from the moment I put my secondary in the mail :) ).
Just breeeeaaath.

What a guy!:)

Just breeeeaaath.

thanks for the paranoia relief... (sorry about your rejection though, even if it was last year :( ) and thanks for the prayers too! :)

Hey guys, I know this post is very very old. However, I applied in July. Turned in my secondary the day after they sent them out. I met with admissions before applying for guidance. The last time I heard from them was July. I have called a couple of times to ask about my application. Every time I'm told there are thousands of applicants and mine is still in line. This simply can't be the full picture, right? (otherwise, how would anyone get in?) I just want to know one way or the other, but nothing has moved. My status is "applicant in progress." I'm starting to believe the cant in that phrasing means I cannot go there. Has anyone learned more.

Hey guys, I know this post is very very old. However, I applied in July. Turned in my secondary the day after they sent them out. I met with admissions before applying for guidance. The last time I heard from them was July. I have called a couple of times to ask about my application. Every time I'm told there are thousands of applicants and mine is still in line. This simply can't be the full picture, right? (otherwise, how would anyone get in?) I just want to know one way or the other, but nothing has moved. My status is "applicant in progress." I'm starting to believe the cant in that phrasing means I cannot go there. Has anyone learned more.

Just posted in school specific but I am in a similar place. Been "applicant in progress" for a while now. I am IS applicant with stats near average for matriculant.

To further convolute things: I just checked my portal and mine changed from "appliCANT in progress" to "appliCATION in progress" WTF? Idk how to take this

AppliCANT? More like appliCAN!

(I know this is an 11 year old thread but I had to do that.)