UIC - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For this year, on my financial aid letter, is as follows
Budget Detail Budget Component Amount

Books and Supplies $1,100.00
Mandatory Fees* $2,468.00
Housing and Food Expenses $10,800.00
Personal Expenses $2,400.00
Tuition* $13,708.00
Total: $30,476.00

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks... that really helps.

Curious - what's the hardest class in the first year?

Curious - what's the hardest class in the first year?

It is either Med Chem (Phar 331/332) or Physio (PhyB 301/302).
People who are weak in math have problems in Kinetics (Phar 400).
Easy courses are Roles (Phar 441) and Experiential 1 (Phar 342).

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Guys,
I feel your happiness!!! I am excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATS! You are the best ones!!!!

What where your GPA's and PCAT scores and such?

I so much hope to meet you at UIC next year!

genesis - is your tuition in-state or out-of-state?

in-state. I've lived my entire life in the state of Illinois. The OOS tuition is even higher.

anybody know when tuition rates will be decided upon for the coming school year?

Has anyone gotten anything yet in the mail after submitting the deposit? All I've gotten is an email "receipt" for submitting my deposit.....

I know the due date for submitting deposits and decisions was just last Friday... I'm just anxious, can't wait to get out of my current job, and I'm excited to start.

On the other hand, I can't believe it's May already. !!

I don't know anything about tuition for this upcoming school year. I wish I did.

I hear you. the next approx 3 months left at my work feels like forever. I have been lookin to quit the damn job for some time now hoping that going to pharmacy school would make a nice exit. And that is exactly how God made it happen. So, i cannot wait to say that "goodbye and goodluck" that i have been meaning to say to my ever provoking, ever annoying, don't know when to stop supervisor. Common!!! August 3rd

I hear you. the next approx 3 months left at my work feels like forever. I have been lookin to quit the damn job for some time now hoping that going to pharmacy school would make a nice exit. And that is exactly how God made it happen. So, i cannot wait to say that "goodbye and goodluck" that i have been meaning to say to my ever provoking, ever annoying, don't know when to stop supervisor. Common!!! August 3rd

so are you not going to work at all this fall ? I can wait to quit either. but i have bills to pay so i will be working part time maybe.

I believe classes start on the 27th of August guys.... at least that's what they told me in the student affairs office... they told me to look at the academic calender pertaining to the other programs to see when school starts.....

Do you guys know what our daily schedules will be like?

so are you not going to work at all this fall ? I can wait to quit either. but i have bills to pay so i will be working part time maybe.

I am going to be working this fall. So i could pay some few bills and get settled first.

nextgenpharm, i want to quit early so i can go to Chicago, and look for a job or get settled in b4 classes start on the 27th.

breeze2baby... that sounds like a good plan... do you have money saved up? Are you going to live on campus or off campus?

I was thinking of working too for the first year... but a doctor friend of mine told me the first two years are the hardest ... and probably need your full attention.....

i have to find a good school in the area for my seven year old too......
don't know if it will be kinda getthoish.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Second year has the most hours. Third year has the hardest material.
P-1 schedule 8:30am-12:20 3 days a week, 8:30-3:20 1 day a week, and 8:30-4:30pm one day a week. There is a one hour lunch break.

Good elementary schools are Galileo and Andrew Jackson.

breeze2baby... that sounds like a good plan... do you have money saved up? Are you going to live on campus or off campus?

I was thinking of working too for the first year... but a doctor friend of mine told me the first two years are the hardest ... and probably need your full attention.....

i have to find a good school in the area for my seven year old too......
don't know if it will be kinda getthoish.....

I dont have any money saved up yet. What i had i used on application and traveling to interview. But i plan to save up a bit during the summer, pay and cancel my current credit card, and save the rest for UIC.

I plan to live off campus so i could get instate next year. At the interview, the P1's said it was easy and they were able to work and as genesis as said i also heard P2 was much work. So i plan to work p1 and see what P2 brings. I beleive why people say the first year is hard is because they do not know what to expect.

I plan to look for housing during the orientation and get everything down a bit b4 august.

I dont have any money saved up yet. What i had i used on application and traveling to interview. But i plan to save up a bit during the summer, pay and cancel my current credit card, and save the rest for UIC.

I plan to live off campus so i could get instate next year. At the interview, the P1's said it was easy and they were able to work and as genesis as said i also heard P2 was much work. So i plan to work p1 and see what P2 brings. I beleive why people say the first year is hard is because they do not know what to expect.

I plan to look for housing during the orientation and get everything down a bit b4 august.

why are you canceling your credit card? you should keep it open bec what if there is an emergency and you need fast access to cash?

why are you canceling your credit card? you should keep it open bec what if there is an emergency and you need fast access to cash?

I think he meant pay off his debt

I have 2 and presently the interest on one is really killing me and my credit, no matter how much i put into it, it seems they are just ripping me off. And since i will be working part time in school i dont think i would be able to keep up with the payment. So i'd just cancel it and go with the other one for now till i reapply. If they have to check my credit for the loans, its really not going to work out.

I have 2 and presently the interest on one is really killing me and my credit, no matter how much i put into it, it seems they are just ripping me off. And since i will be working part time in school i dont think i would be able to keep up with the payment. So i'd just cancel it and go with the other one for now till i reapply. If they have to check my credit for the loans, its really not going to work out.

I don't think they check your credit for loans for school.. that's what I was told by a friend who's in graduate school recently....

I don't think they check your credit for loans for school.. that's what I was told by a friend who's in graduate school recently....

I was just thinking about that too. I thought they did run your credit for that bec that is what i understood from reading about the private loans, i dont know about just regular stafford or federal loans though:confused:

Hi everyone. UIC has already posted up the timetables (class schedules) for Fall 2007 for P1-P3 classes. Of course the one that pertains to us is P1. It is just as Genesis mentions. Three days out of the week we end at 12:30. The rest depends on which group we are in to schedule discussion and lab sections. Here is the link to the page. Notice at the top of the page, you can download a PDF or Word version of the timetables. It also lists the classes are taking. I've already printed it out and put it up. =) I'm excited.

http://www.uic.edu:80/pharmacy/offices/oaa/oaa1/TimeTable.html

In terms of student loans. Federal student loans come in two flavors: Subsidized (interest is paid by the gov't while you are in school) or Unsubsidized (interest accrues while you are in school, and we pay the interest). The more desired is Subsidized. There is a lifetime limit to how much can be borrowed at two levels - undergraduate and graduate. A graduate student in a professional program (which is us) has a lifetime limit of $189,000. UIC seems to also have an additional loan that is related to being in a Health Professional Program. Federal loans DO NOT look at your credit history (believe me, because mine stinks!). Only private lenders would (i.e. Chase, Citibank, or your local bank). Usually private loans are an option for those who do not qualify for more loans with the government, etc. The way that student loan amounts are determined depend on our EFC (Expected Family Contribution). Which is why we fill out the FAFSA (or Renewal FAFSA if you were a student during 2006-2007). The school has a budget - cost of attendance - as outlined by genesis' earlier post. Then they subtract that EFC. And then determine how much in loan money can be requested from the government. If your EFC is high, and you know you won't be making that much in school (since we are full-time students), then you can work with the Office of Financial Aid and request more loan money. If you look through UIC's website, they have a link to the Office of Financial Aid. And there is a PDF of the Financial Aid Handbook for Health Professionals (graduate students) that was distributed in earlier years. It's a pretty good explanation of how it all works at UIC.

Bottom line. You're in the school. They will do their best to get you financed. I also heard that you could work for the school, and get tuition waived. But I bet you'd have to work a lot of hours for that. Since staff gets tuition waived, but the minimum is probably high? I know someone who did that - worked at the outpatient pharmacy, and does not pay for tuition.

If you work for a pharmacy, or other health-related company, they may offer tuition assistance or schoarships. Of course, you'd have to agree to work for them after graduation in exchange for those monies. For instance, I work for Walgreen's and they offer a small tuition assistance program. It wouldn't put a dent in tuition, but could help offset costs like books and/or lab fees.

Sorry, this post is so long. But I hope it helps!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall! =) Maybe we should all make t-shirts with our SDN alias on them, so we could find each other during school. I'm just kidding (kinda).

Breeze2Baby - finding an apt in the city is not always the easiest. Maybe you could go with a service that helps you find apts, as mentioned in previous threads/posts. My roommate and I were looking, and we live in Chicago, and it was difficult to really find a place that is relatively cheap and liveable. Are you planning on staying the entire weekend after orientation to find a place?

Breeze2Baby - finding an apt in the city is not always the easiest. Maybe you could go with a service that helps you find apts, as mentioned in previous threads/posts. My roommate and I were looking, and we live in Chicago, and it was difficult to really find a place that is relatively cheap and liveable. Are you planning on staying the entire weekend after orientation to find a place?

I'm not staying the whole weekend. I plan on coming in a day early and leaving that saturday since orientation is on Thursday, which will give me the whole friday free to maybe check.

I found some studios for roughly $600 do you think thats cheap enough or too expensive.
What do u think of places on S. Michigan, S. Shore, S. Woodlawn, S. Ellis, W. grandville, W. Hollywood etc or that area. Are they really far from the school. Also, what areas do u think are good and safe to move into.

Open to opinions.

Does anyone have an idea of what the city of Chicago's pharmacy stores pay their pharm techs. And also, is it only the pharmacy tech license that one need to work? I just received mine last week.

As of right now, you just need the tech license. However, when the new pharmacy practice act passes, we'll have to get intern licenses.
Most P1s get paid about $14.50 per hour. However, you cannot call yourself pharmacy students until you have taken your first pharmacy class.
Use this to get an idea of transit times. http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

Also, P-1 year is a good year for electives. You need 12 hours worth by the end of P-3 year. Unlisted popular electives include P&T competition and Student Ambassador.

For anyone with pharm tech experience in Chicago - what would you recommend as the best way to get a retail pharm tech job?
I have no pharmacy experience (my job experience has been all university research lab or industry lab/research work). I'm going to be leaving my current job at the end of july and would like to line up a tech job in August as I really want to get pharmacy experience and make some extra money during school.

Is it best to just go into pharmacies and talk to someone, apply online, or apply at those in-store computer terminals?

I'm assuming that it will help to say I'm going to be a pharmacy student starting this fall (?). I also have just recently gotten my tech license.

Any advice is much appreciated.

what is P & T competition??

I'm not staying the whole weekend. I plan on coming in a day early and leaving that saturday since orientation is on Thursday, which will give me the whole friday free to maybe check.

I found some studios for roughly $600 do you think thats cheap enough or too expensive.
What do u think of places on S. Michigan, S. Shore, S. Woodlawn, S. Ellis, W. grandville, W. Hollywood etc or that area. Are they really far from the school. Also, what areas do u think are good and safe to move into.

Open to opinions.

Hey - I think $600 a month is around as good as you will find. I lived in a studio for $700 (in Lakeview) - and that was considered a good price for that area at least.
Granville and Hollywood are streets on the far north side of the city - pretty far from UIC.
The other streets you mention - they run north/south and it's hard to say unless you have an address. Woodlawn and Ellis run through the university of chicago neighborhood (Hyde Park) and that is a nice area. They also run through not-so-nice areas.

P&T competition is the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Competition sponsored by AMCP. It is a big deal at UIC. It is also a lot of work. You write a drug monograph in which you determine if a drug should be on a formulary.

hey genesis, how does a student go about signing up for the p&t if it's not listed and is it available to p1s when the time comes?

hey genesis, how does a student go about signing up for the p&t if it's not listed and is it available to p1s when the time comes?

AMCP will announce it during the end of the fall semester. You actually sign up for 380/390 credit. That is independent study/research.

For this year, on my financial aid letter, is as follows
Budget Detail Budget Component Amount

Books and Supplies $1,100.00
Mandatory Fees* $2,468.00
Housing and Food Expenses $10,800.00
Personal Expenses $2,400.00
Tuition* $13,708.00
Total: $30,476.00

Hey Genesis,

Regarding the amount allotted for tuition expenses, do you know how they figure that amount for out of staters? I think the maximum amount they will lend is $33,000. If school itself costs $20,000, that only leaves $13,000 for the rest of these expenses. :scared:

I believe $33k is the max allowed by federal law for professional student Stafford loans. You'll have to get Federal Graduate PLUS loans.
Keep in mind, you have another fee, which I don't have to pay. This is a $250 per semester fee.

I believe $33k is the max allowed by federal law for professional student Stafford loans. You'll have to get Federal Graduate PLUS loans.
Keep in mind, you have another fee, which I don't have to pay. This is a $250 per semester fee.

Thank you! How do you know so much??? :D

So, Federal Graduate PLUS loans are unsubsidized?

anyone get anything in the mail yet?

The Grad PLUS loans are the same as the Parent PLUS loans, but for graduate students. They are the worst kind of loans. They are unsubsidized and have the highest interest rates. http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

If you are willing, you should try and obtain Illinois Residency. http://www.uic.edu/ucat/catalog/SC.html#q It is not an easy process because the state has many rules regarding this.

This link will allow you to look up and activate your netid. http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/index.html/ACCTS.html Once you have that you can go onto UIC Enterprise and look up your financial aid information, register for classes, etc.

anyone get anything in the mail yet?

I haven't gotten anything in the mail..... doesn't look like we can look up whatever our netid is until then.

Has anyone gotten anything yet?

As far as the criminal/drug background search... does anyone know how much this will cost us and what website they will be using?

Okay I have got 3 more finals left.I have been planning to have some fun btw now and august since it would be my first school-free summer since i began my undergraduate. But i just wanna ask genesis or any other person that knows what kind of preparation academically one can do btw now and resumption. Is there any textbook one can read to get ahead?

Enjoy your break, don't worry about school work.

i sure will then

guess not....

I don't think any of us know anything yet.... except genesis.

still waiting....waiting.....waiting.....for an email or something in the mail from them...... I hate waiting.

You can look in the UIC phonebook to see if you have been placed into the system.

I don't think any of us know anything yet.... except genesis.

still waiting....waiting.....waiting.....for an email or something in the mail from them...... I hate waiting.

Well i thought the hardest part of waiting was not knowing if you've been accepted or not. I'm anxious at the fact that maybe it was lost in the mail. But knowing i'm not alone in waiting allows me more time to study for my exams.

Genesis, there was no posting on the phonebook about me. I'm still looking forward.

The mailing comes from the Admissions Office not pharmacy. I got mine after I came home after finals.

Hey Genesis - Are there a lot of group projects and presentations at UIC?

thanks

....oh, and I still haven't received anything in the mail from them.....
I guess this is teaching me to be more patient:oops:

Hey Genesis - Are there a lot of group projects and presentations at UIC?

thanks

....oh, and I still haven't received anything in the mail from them.....
I guess this is teaching me to be more patient:oops:

Ah, you are becoming one with the UIC way. If you don't receive anything in the next week or two, contact OSA.

There are many group projects and presentations, but not that many in P-1 year. P-2 year has a case presentation. P-3 year has business plan, experential presentations, and case presentations.