Lilbellz04

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Chicago, IL.
Status
Pharmacy Student
Got accepted Jan. 20th! Just waiting for my actual acceptance letter in the mail! Anyone else?:)

Apr 7, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I just got accepted via e-mail, gotta respond soon =)

Apr 7, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Does anyone know when orientation might be? I'm from out of state and want to start looking for apartments, but need to know when I should move in. I guess I'll call UIC tomorrow =)

Mar 17, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
Found out today I got accepted to UIC via email. Now I have a week to decide whether I want to go to UIC or Midwestern in Downers Grove... decisions decisions.

yummfood

5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Illinois
Status
Pharmacy Student
Does anyone know when orientation might be? I'm from out of state and want to start looking for apartments, but need to know when I should move in. I guess I'll call UIC tomorrow =)
I don't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it's Monday June 14. The date is in the folder they handed out during the interviews

UICPharm

7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
June 14th sounds about right... I am a P1 going to be a P2, and I believe that was roughly the same time that we had our orientation. CONGRATULATIONS to all of you I can't wait to meet you and spend the next 2 years together!!!

Mar 21, 2010
Status
I just got accepted yesterday too :) I have nooo idea where I'll be living or with who yet either. Let me know if you guys find out any good info on housing!

jfktai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
June 14th sounds about right... I am a P1 going to be a P2, and I believe that was roughly the same time that we had our orientation. CONGRATULATIONS to all of you I can't wait to meet you and spend the next 2 years together!!!
Hi there,

Just wonder if you still remember what orientation is about and when the white coat ceremony will be held.

Thanks

homeslice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi there,

Just wonder if you still remember what orientation is about and when the white coat ceremony will be held.

Thanks
I'll be honest, orientation kind of sucked. You pretty much sat in a room for like 5 or 6 hours being given information that could have just been emailed out. Then they gave you a "tour", which for my group ended up being wandering around the underground tunnels for a while then looking into 2 classrooms.

I believe the white coat ceremoney was held the Wednesday of the first week of classes.

jfktai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'll be honest, orientation kind of sucked. You pretty much sat in a room for like 5 or 6 hours being given information that could have just been emailed out. Then they gave you a "tour", which for my group ended up being wandering around the underground tunnels for a while then looking into 2 classrooms.

I believe the white coat ceremoney was held the Wednesday of the first week of classes.
Thanks for letting me know about that. I just wonder how much you have paid per year or estimate cost if you don't mind ?

Apr 7, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks for all the info. I called UIC and orientation is Monday, June 14th and it should last 9 or 10am to 3 or 4 pm.. pretty much the whole day. Oh and have your immunizations done by then also, you submit the completed form during orientation. Is the dress code casual?

homeslice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks for all the info. I called UIC and orientation is Monday, June 14th and it should last 9 or 10am to 3 or 4 pm.. pretty much the whole day. Oh and have your immunizations done by then also, you submit the completed form during orientation. Is the dress code casual?
It was business casual, if I remember right.

Nov 9, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
Business Casual? Do you mean formal dressing like what we do during interview? What do we need to prepare for the orientation? The I/M form?
Got Accepted on 1/20, too. But I haven't received my admission package yet. Very confusing what they are doing. I got the orientation info only through email and this forum.
By the way, how did you get housing information? Craig List??
I am from California. Need some info before moving to Chicago this August

Last edited:

homeslice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Business Casual? Do you mean formal dressing like what we do during interview? What do we need to prepare for the orientation? The I/M form?
Got Accepted on 1/20, too. But I haven't received my admission package yet. Very confusing what they are doing. I got the orientation info only through email and this forum.
By the way, how did you get housing information? Craig List??
I am from California. Need some info before moving to Chicago this August
You'll learn to love the disorganization at UIC. Business casual as in either khakis/dress pants and a dress shirt. Tie optional and definately not a suit.

You really don't need to have anything done before you come for orientation, although I would have your immunization stuff pretty much in order. It's technically not due til you start classes though. Remember there's two forms, one for the College of Pharmacy and one for UIC.

I used craigslist and other places that had internet listings just by doing a google search. You can also look at the UIC off-campus housing site once you get a netid and password. Here's the link: http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

Apr 7, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey guys! If you need to get immunizations done, do it soon. For those of you who haven't gotten the Hep B (including myself) it's a series of 3 shots, with the very last one scheduled 4-6 months after the second shot. I called UIC and asked about it and they said it's fine if I at least get 2 of 3 complete before school starts this Fall, then finish up the 3rd during school. So no worries as long as you've started the series.

myska

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I just went to get all of my titers done, and hopefully I won't need any boosters. :/

And does anyone know if it is standard for apartments near campus to be furnished? I can't find that information anywhere.

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
Outside of the UIC owned apartments or some of the private apartment style dorms (Tailor Lofts, the Automatic Lofts) most apartments in the area are not furnished.

drewr007

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2010
Minneapolis
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Anyone else looking for a roommate for the Chicago campus? I'm from out of state so I want to get an early start on finding a place. Send me a message if your interested.

Nov 9, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
I am from LA, California. Looking apartment. May drive around campus area to seek apartment on after Orientation.

avuong

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Chicago
Status
Thanks for letting me know about that. I just wonder how much you have paid per year or estimate cost if you don't mind ?
http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal09_spr10.html
(2009-2010)
http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal08_spr09.html
(2008-2009)

In 2008-2009 Tuition + Fees + Assessment was: $20174 for one year (two semesters) [room and board not included]
In 2009-2010 Tuition + Fees + Assessment was: $22354 annually
In 2010-2011 the cost will likely be: ~$24k.
In 2011-2012: ~$26k.
In 2012-2013: ~$28k
In 2013-2014:~$30k
Tuition increases by ~10% each year.

Stafford Subsidized loan will be max: $8500, the rest of your loan will be Stafford Unsubsidized (~$12000, or more if you pay for room and board) If you pay for room and board, your unsubsidized will be ~$22,000. (extra 10k for room and board.)

interest rate on Stafford/ Federal Direct is fixed at 6.8%.
---

For the fun of it,
Lets do hypothetical interest capitalizations on a 100k loan with a fixed 6.8% apr, with no repayment.

Year 0 owed: 100000 $
Year 1 owed: 106800 $
Year 2 owed: 114062 $
Year 3 owed: 121818 $
Year 4 owed: 130102 $
Year 5 owed: 138949 $
Year 6 owed: 148397 $

Notice how, by the 3rd year, you'll owe $20000 [twenty thousand] dollars more than originally. By the 6th year, you'll owe nearly 150% of the original value.

$6800 per year = ~$567 per month of interest (approximate). I dont know about you, but $567 would be better spent grocery shopping than feeding the banks. Thats $567 not going to pay down your principle, or paying any utility bills, not doing anything to make your life better. That's $567 per month, going into thin air, vanishing into oblivion. Interest is a fundamental evil. (if you ask me).
---
okay, back on topic; Congrats on your acceptances to UIC!
All the logistics are covered at Orientation: Immunizations, registering for classes, etc. etc.
http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/current_students/Enrollment_Requirements.php
Background check has urine drug test included in package:
http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/current_students/index.php
Top left corner package code NV85. Cost is $92. Wait until after orientation and do exactly what they tell you to do. These links are for your information only.

---
If anything, you guys should all go out and enjoy your summers. Your first year at UIC should be very fun. What you will learn in your first year are the fundamentals (Medicinal Chemistry, Dosage Forms, Roles and Communications, and Physiology & Pathophysiology).
Being the fundamentals by definition requires no pre-requisite knowledge of anything. Just show up to class, pay decent attention and you'll do fine. At most, you should review the top 200 if you havent already. If you can associate brand name to generic name to therapeutic class, you'll have at least some clue what teachers are talking about.

Good luck Class of 2014/

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
One simple question.
Do we need to submit all the transcript if we already submitted it to PharmCAS? I have no memory that I ever submited any of the transcripts to UIC directly?
If I am required, what address should I send to? (Ms Paula Fleming said she only received those grades issued in Spring 2010)

Please help.

Thanks

avuong

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Chicago
Status

UIC College of Pharmacy
Office of Student Affairs (MC874)
Attn: Paula Fleming
833 S Wood St, Rm 154
Chicago, IL 60612-7230

Yes, a final transcript must be sent directly to UIC

If you want, you can hand-deliver

Aug 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Everyone,

I'll be starting next year as a Medical Student at UIC and I'm looking for a female roommate!

I have a nice condo in the loop (right next to the pink line and other CTA trains/buses). It's ~10 min train ride to the Polk Pink Line stop, a block from the Medical Campus.

It's a two bedroom, two bath (each bedroom has 2 closets!) with a washer dryer unit, balcony, and a full kitchen with new appliances. The condo has a fitness room as well as a public roof garden on the 6th floor. There is also a security guard on staff at all times so it's very safe.

The location is great and fun. It's in the heart of the loop, so it's close to a lot of restaurants, but it's not too loud for studying. I know this location may seem far, but it's actually really easy to get to west campus (via the pink line) and lot of the medical students I talked to said that having some distance between their apt and classes keeps them sane (so they don't feel like they're always at school)..haha

You can move in as early as July 1st!!

Price is $750/mo which includes all utilities (water, gas, cable tv) except electricity, which will probably only add on another $10-15 per month!

PM me if you are interested in seeing the place or have any questions! :)

cookie129

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey everybody! I'm currently a P2 at UIC and I just wanted to congratulate everybody :) ! I was also wondering if anybody is interested in working Friday shifts at Walgreens as a technician on North and Wells in Chicago? It's a very convenient location because the subway goes directly there from the College of Pharmacy. I am giving this shift up because I will be moving to Naperville and will be unable to work at that store. You must be currently employeed with Walgreens. If you are interested, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]. Again, congratulations to everybody, and i look forward to seeing you all in a few months :) !

jfktai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal09_spr10.html
(2009-2010)
http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal08_spr09.html
(2008-2009)

In 2008-2009 Tuition + Fees + Assessment was: $20174 for one year (two semesters) [room and board not included]
In 2009-2010 Tuition + Fees + Assessment was: $22354 annually
In 2010-2011 the cost will likely be: ~$24k.
In 2011-2012: ~$26k.
In 2012-2013: ~$28k
In 2013-2014:~$30k
Tuition increases by ~10% each year.

Stafford Subsidized loan will be max: $8500, the rest of your loan will be Stafford Unsubsidized (~$12000, or more if you pay for room and board) If you pay for room and board, your unsubsidized will be ~$22,000. (extra 10k for room and board.)

interest rate on Stafford/ Federal Direct is fixed at 6.8%.
---

For the fun of it,
Lets do hypothetical interest capitalizations on a 100k loan with a fixed 6.8% apr, with no repayment.

Year 0 owed: 100000 $
Year 1 owed: 106800 $
Year 2 owed: 114062 $
Year 3 owed: 121818 $
Year 4 owed: 130102 $
Year 5 owed: 138949 $
Year 6 owed: 148397 $

Notice how, by the 3rd year, you'll owe $20000 [twenty thousand] dollars more than originally. By the 6th year, you'll owe nearly 150% of the original value.

$6800 per year = ~$567 per month of interest (approximate). I dont know about you, but $567 would be better spent grocery shopping than feeding the banks. Thats $567 not going to pay down your principle, or paying any utility bills, not doing anything to make your life better. That's $567 per month, going into thin air, vanishing into oblivion. Interest is a fundamental evil. (if you ask me).
---
okay, back on topic; Congrats on your acceptances to UIC!
All the logistics are covered at Orientation: Immunizations, registering for classes, etc. etc.
http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/current_students/Enrollment_Requirements.php
Background check has urine drug test included in package:
http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/current_students/index.php
Top left corner package code NV85. Cost is $92. Wait until after orientation and do exactly what they tell you to do. These links are for your information only.

---
If anything, you guys should all go out and enjoy your summers. Your first year at UIC should be very fun. What you will learn in your first year are the fundamentals (Medicinal Chemistry, Dosage Forms, Roles and Communications, and Physiology & Pathophysiology).
Being the fundamentals by definition requires no pre-requisite knowledge of anything. Just show up to class, pay decent attention and you'll do fine. At most, you should review the top 200 if you havent already. If you can associate brand name to generic name to therapeutic class, you'll have at least some clue what teachers are talking about.

Good luck Class of 2014/

Thanks for decent explanation on loan's interests. Is there any tip to do well for all classes in P1 ? Do I need to buy books for classes ? and you meant 200 top generic drug names.
Am I too early to starting looking for internship now ? if not, where should I start ?