Uic Interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How Many People Actually Applyed???
Is Somebody Waiting For Interview Call?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought UIC doesn't give you a DDS?? :confused:

From what I recall/believe, they have a certificate course for Permanent Residents/US Citizens.

Members don't see this ad :)
g3k said:

No, they don't give DDS. You get a certificate and can practice in the state of Illinois. But for me personaly it does not make a difference, as log as I can practice dentistry

SJ35 said:
No, they don't give DDS. You get a certificate and can practice in the state of Illinois. But for me personaly it does not make a difference, as log as I can practice dentistry
but u can practice out of illinois too. for example u if u want to practice in south carolina u have to give SRTA and if u get a letter from south carolina board showing u have advanced standing say in illinois they will get ur transcripts and give u letter and then u can take that letter to SRTA and then give boards and after u clear exams go to board with SRTA cleared and they will give u license.

anjali_45 said:
but u can practice out of illinois too. for example u if u want to practice in south carolina u have to give SRTA and if u get a letter from south carolina board showing u have advanced standing say in illinois they will get ur transcripts and give u letter and then u can take that letter to SRTA and then give boards and after u clear exams go to board with SRTA cleared and they will give u license.

That's even better. I didn't know that. I know that you can take Central Regional Board after graduating from UIC.

SJ35 said:
That's even better. I didn't know that. I know that you can take Central Regional Board after graduating from UIC.
I know about NERB ,SRTA AND CRDTS u can do it.I am not sure of WREB though.

i KNOW THERE'S FIVE DIFFERENT STATES THAT ACCEPT YOUR CERTIFICATE. i'M NOT SURE WICH ONES.

tHIS IS FROM THEIR WEBSITE
Q: Upon successful completion of the program, can I practice dentistry in a state other than Illinois?
Yes. There are other states that recognize the certificate. If you are interested in practicing in another state you should contact that state’s board of professional regulation to determine if they will accept the certificate as acceptable for licensing requirements

g3k said:
does it mean that after completing the course in uic you can not continue to higher education?

BABAK kabab said:
does it mean that after completing the course in uic you can not continue to higher education?
I am not sure about for higher education as i am not interested so i never enquired and nor do i know about it.but for licensure i am pretty sure as i know few people from UIC who did SRTA and CRDTS and NERB.so i know u can practice in other states even though u dont have DDS but a certificate.I know it seems a big deal right now but beleive me it is not that important later. definately if u have option of DDS or cert go for DDS but if u have admission in cert program then go for it instead of wasting a year and then going for DDS

YOU'RE RIGHT!!! it works out for me I live in Illinois and my hubby works here so this is my first and almost my only choice I don't want to move to another state!

hi Aspita
waiting for the interview letter. Are you in the same boat?
Monika

Members don't see this ad :)
monika sharma said:
hi Aspita
waiting for the interview letter. Are you in the same boat?
Monika

I have an appointment. I got a phonecall and an email. My interview is this week :scared:

Aspita said:
I have an appointment. I got a phonecall and an email. My interview is this week :scared:

Good. Congrats.

hi Aspita
all the best for your appointment. please share your experience after you are done.
Thanks
Monika

Aspita said:
hey aspita,

do post us about the uic interview once its over.. it will be helpful for others too... and all the best!!

dentist80

Aspita,

Congrats. Good luck for your interview.
When did get you call/email from UIC?

Thanks,

Dr. Vaidya said:
Aspita,

Congrats. Good luck for your interview.
When did get you call/email from UIC?

Thanks,
I applied middle of october and got a call on the Nov 3rd

Aspita,

Can you please tell your score - NBDE, GPA and Toefl? Just wanted to know what is the score required for meeting UIC interview criteria.

anjali_45 said:
I am not sure about for higher education as i am not interested so i never enquired and nor do i know about it.but for licensure i am pretty sure as i know few people from UIC who did SRTA and CRDTS and NERB.so i know u can practice in other states even though u dont have DDS but a certificate.I know it seems a big deal right now but beleive me it is not that important later. definately if u have option of DDS or cert go for DDS but if u have admission in cert program then go for it instead of wasting a year and then going for DDS

You can make a case either ways. I guess it would be a personal thing. But in my opinion, i think its a bit short sighted thinking if you jump on the UIC bandwagon without first cycling through once the other schools that offer a DDS/DMD. I live in chicago & have applied to all other schools except for UIC. The reason being is that I dont want to corner myself into a situation that will cause me frustrations later on. If my spouse or me decide to move elsewhere later - we want to be able to have that option. What shall I do, quit my practice? On a more smaller note, can I list my name as Mr xyz (DDS) in the insurance directories with a certificate? Can I pursue a specialization?

I think what UIC is doing is a lose-lose situation for everyone. Without offering a DDS, they will not get the cream-of-the-crop applicants (except IL residents) to apply to their school. Majority of the ones with the best scores who live outside IL will not apply to UIC, agree? And even if they do & get selected elsewhere they will quickly turn down UIC (again, non-IL residents). And the ones who do accept get stuck in IL for the rest of their lives. Think about that, can you be sure there will never be a reason for you to have/want to move.

I think there are better ways for them to keep doctors in IL. Offer more benefits to keep practicing in IL rather than twist their arms by leaving them no choice. :thumbdown:

Your thoughts are welcome. Out of curiosity does anyone even know for sure what states will accept the UIC certificate?

hi
yes after getting CRDTS u can practice in 22 states that recognize it. and also once u practice for min of 3 years u can move to other state and get it on credentials and some states say for 5 years and then u can do it . i personally 3-4 people who have done it. u r not stuck in IL . if u have admission on where and in chicago definatley go for it why waste 1 year and then also u r not sure if u will get in or not.
but yes if given a choice between DDS in UPENN or BU or anywhere else go for that becos i am not sure about specialization as such. but i am positive about licensing other states one of my known persons practices in virginia and pennsylavania too who did the cert program.
at the end i would say if get in DDS go for it but if not then go for cert program. similarly going to NYU and then doing 3 year +1 PGY1 is it worth in NY. it is inddividual choice and option.
moreever if u decline this year what is the surety of getting in next year.u r not sure as the competition is increasing next year too.
regarding ur suggestion of keeping dentist in the area yes i agree with it but it does not limit u u can still go in other states and license and work . but what I think when u pay that amount of tuition u definately would like to see a DDS or DMD for that matter.
just my 2 cents
_cameljockey said:
You can make a case either ways. I guess it would be a personal thing. But in my opinion, i think its a bit short sighted thinking if you jump on the UIC bandwagon without first cycling through once the other schools that offer a DDS/DMD. I live in chicago & have applied to all other schools except for UIC. The reason being is that I dont want to corner myself into a situation that will cause me frustrations later on. If my spouse or me decide to move elsewhere later - we want to be able to have that option. What shall I do, quit my practice? On a more smaller note, can I list my name as Mr xyz (DDS) in the insurance directories with a certificate? Can I pursue a specialization?

I think what UIC is doing is a lose-lose situation for everyone. Without offering a DDS, they will not get the cream-of-the-crop applicants (except IL residents) to apply to their school. Majority of the ones with the best scores who live outside IL will not apply to UIC, agree? And even if they do & get selected elsewhere they will quickly turn down UIC (again, non-IL residents). And the ones who do accept get stuck in IL for the rest of their lives. Think about that, can you be sure there will never be a reason for you to have/want to move.

I think there are better ways for them to keep doctors in IL. Offer more benefits to keep practicing in IL rather than twist their arms by leaving them no choice. :thumbdown:

Your thoughts are welcome. Out of curiosity does anyone even know for sure what states will accept the UIC certificate?

yes when u get licensed u r MR XYZ DDS on the license which u display in clinic. i have seen it.

Tampali said:
Aspita,

Can you please tell your score - NBDE, GPA and Toefl? Just wanted to know what is the score required for meeting UIC interview criteria.
hi tampali,
r u waiting for uic interview call,like me

Aspita said:
How Many People Actually Applyed???
Is Somebody Waiting For Interview Call?

hi aspita,

I got the interview call from uic..just wondering if u already attended the interview....
thanks

drchai said:
hi aspita,

I got the interview call from uic..just wondering if u already attended the interview....
thanks

Please post your score drchai. Appreciate it. thank you.

KK2005 said:
hi tampali,
r u waiting for uic interview call,like me
No I have not applied here. I have applied at University of Florida.

I had my interview already. I think I did good but they are very nice to everybody! and the more I think about it I think I messed up in a lot of questions!. The two Doctors that interviewed me were extremly nice and funny, very easy going but still I was sooooo nervous that I shaked for the whole hour that the enterview lasted. :oops:

I will let you know about he results.

Aspita said:
I had my interview already. I think I did good but they are very nice to everybody! and the more I think about it I think I messed up in a lot of questions!. The two Doctors that interviewed me were extremly nice and funny, very easy going but still I was sooooo nervous that I shaked for the whole hour that the enterview lasted. :oops:

I will let you know about he results.
What did they ask you? Like general questions or about the subject. thanks you.

I'm sure you did well, keep the hopes.

Aspita please tell a little bit about the interview, what kind of questions? I have my interview next week and I'm SOOOO nervous (6 applicants for 2 positions, 5 interviewers).

Thanks

DrPelus said:
Aspita please tell a little bit about the interview, what kind of questions? I have my interview next week and I'm SOOOO nervous (6 applicants for 2 positions, 5 interviewers).

Thanks
Where r u applying? UIC????
Go to the interview feedback then read the questions and try to answer them taht helps a lot to be prepare. :luck:

NEXT WEEK THEY ARE GOING TO START CALLING PEOPLE ACCEPTED TO UIC. pLZ LET US KNOW! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY WHO APPLYED :luck:

Anyone who had already the interview at UIC, could you please post some of the questions .
Thank you very much.
:) :) :)

Hi

Did u guys know that it is not a certificate program anymore in UIC.
it is DDS program now....

drchai said:
Hi

Did u guys know that it is not a certificate program anymore in UIC.
it is DDS program now....
No, you are wrong............it is a certificate program and no degree awarded.

BTW, he was right -- most likely starting this year it is going to be DDS program. It is not final yet, though