UIC News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hondo23

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody gotten any recent UIC news, assuming that they are meeting around now?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed last fall and they still haven't made a decision, so I don't know what the rhyme or reason is for UIC. They did however, send me an email mid-late month, every month, to let me know that no decision had been made.

I have acceptances elsewhere, so I'm not holding my breath :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also on the preverbial HOLD status. Either way, the committee meets around this time and usually sends out notices on or around the 20th of each month. Check your status page after that and you should see something. Keep in mind that I don't think they reject many people post interview, and prefere to put a good chunk on the waitlist in May. Hope it is good news for you.

On another note, any UIC students out there who got in relatively late and still go the Chicago campus?

I got in the last round (Feb) after interviewing January 30. I got my first choice of campuses, Chicago.

any recent news anyone? i'm anxiously awaiting....

bump. (sorry not trying to be impatient)

Originally posted by bokermmk
I got in the last round (Feb) after interviewing January 30. I got my first choice of campuses, Chicago.

Bokermmk, I PM'd you.

Hey gschl,

Did you get your campus assignment switched? I'm withdrawing from UIC soon--I wish I could stipulate that you get my spot in Chi-town!

Originally posted by lyragrl
Hey gschl,

Did you get your campus assignment switched? I'm withdrawing from UIC soon--I wish I could stipulate that you get my spot in Chi-town!

No. I called on Thursday and I spoke with Suzan (I think that was her name), one of the recruitment councelors, and she said the list was very long and that they wouldn't start considering moving people till after May 15. :(
Then she looked up my file and said I had better numbers than a guy last year who didn't get into Chicago who withdrew and reapplied but that I should "hang on" and not worry too much about reapplying yet. I don't understand this. I was accepted back in January and sent my card in right away. How come they assigned people who were accepted in February to Chicago when they said it was completely first come first serve? Did they neglect to mention that it's first come first serve only for in-staters?

I interviewed Jan 21, got accepted Mar 2, sent back the card right away requesting Chicago as my first choice, and got assigned to Peoria.

Originally posted by kiernin
I interviewed Jan 21, got accepted Mar 2, sent back the card right away requesting Chicago as my first choice, and got assigned to Peoria.

That's interesting. I put Peoria as my 2nd or 3rd choice and Rockford as my last choice and got Rockford anyway. I filled out my card and sent it in around Jan 20. Does any one know how UIC assigns people? Were they just BS-ing us at the interview when they said it was purely a first-come-first-serve basis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds weird to me. Peoria was my second choice, and I'm out of state. Makes you wonder.

I don't know how they decide. I am in state, was interviewed in Jan and got acceptedin Feb andalong with Bokermmk, I got the chicago campus. I sent it in the day after I received the letter. My theory is that they look at changing campus assignments after May 15 and if any Chicago assigned people withdraw before then, they assign the next person accepted to their choice of campus instead of looking at the requests. I bet that would be easier for their computer system anyway.

I interviewed jan 6 and my decision is still being "Held"-- I have a feeling they will just bump me to the waitlist.

PLUS i am "AWPA" (accepted when place is available") at SIU (which is like "hey we accepted you..but hang on to make sure we have a spot" . UGH. Admissions told me that means you are pretty much accepted, but waiting is hard!

all this indecisiveness

just withdrew from the rockford campus - does NO ONE like rockford? it was my 2nd choice

I interviewed 1/21, was accepted early in February, preffed Chicago #1, Urbana #2, Rockford #3, and was assigned to Rockford in March. I'm starting to see a pattern here. I think they assign all the Illinois residents first to their sites and then give the crumbs to the OOS students. I actually went back to UIC to see what's up with the assignment process when I was back in Chicago interviewing a couple weeks ago, and talked to a Dean. She said they don't reassign anyone until after 5/15, when they review everyone's file and additional reasons for wanting to transfer. She also said that you are assigned according to whatever space is available at that particular time. So say Chicago is full in Jan, you get Rockford instead. Then in February a couple of people withdraw from Chicago, then people who get accepted after you are potentially placed in Chicago.

Just seems a little underhanded especially since people who interviewed and were accepted a month after me still got Chicago.

UIC's policies piss me off! I'm in the same boat as many of the posters here! I want chicago, but they won't do campus requests until after the 15th. By then I will have dropped UIC and accept another school because I don't want to end up in Peoria! UUUUUUUggghhhh.

Do you think that UIC might do it by stats? I know that most people that get Urbana do research, so people that get assigned to Urbana may have done a lot of research. Do you think MCATs and your GPA, etc... plays a role in campus assignment?

If any of you guys could post your stats, then we could compare them. I have a feeling that stats do play a role in this, though.

GBFKicks said:
Do you think that UIC might do it by stats? I know that most people that get Urbana do research, so people that get assigned to Urbana may have done a lot of research. Do you think MCATs and your GPA, etc... plays a role in campus assignment?

If any of you guys could post your stats, then we could compare them. I have a feeling that stats do play a role in this, though.
Rockford: MCAT 33-O, GPA 3.72, out of state, Interview 12/22, Accepted 1/20 (can't remember exact date), sent card in 1/20 (day I was accepted).

GBFKicks, what was your assignment/stats?

mcat 34Q, 3.34 gpa
Peoria
In stater

interviewed late feb
accepted mid march

I'm a GPPA student here (their ba/md program). I'm going to be doing the MD/MPH program here at UIC starting next year.... graduating a semester early and starting on the MPH portion of the program in that extra semester.

When did you guys submit your application?

When did you guys submit your application?[/QUOTE]

I kinda got a late jump on my secondary application submission, but I think it was around the end of september or early october, something like that.

skiz knot said:
When did you guys submit your application?

I kinda got a late jump on my secondary application submission, but I think it was around the end of september or early october, something like that.[/QUOTE]

I know someone that is also trying to switch to the Chicago track, and one of the deans said he wouldn't hear until late May... Have you called them to find out when a decision would be made on your appeal? The person he talked to was Dr. Girotti.

I was told it was very unlikely that any decisions would be made before the 15th, in other words, too late.

skiz knot said:
I was told it was very unlikely that any decisions would be made before the 15th, in other words, too late.

That sucks.... good luck, hopefully you find something out in the next couple of days

peoria ... low stats, out-of-state, interviewed 1/6, accepted 3/2

financial aid is not pretty...

does anyone know if fin. aid will consider you as in-state after M1?

I hope so...cuz the out of state tuition is just outrageous...does anyone know?

ayo302 said:
peoria ... low stats, out-of-state, interviewed 1/6, accepted 3/2

financial aid is not pretty...

does anyone know if fin. aid will consider you as in-state after M1?
Only if you or your spouse pays substantial income taxes during M1 otherwise no one would be considered "out of state" after the first year.