UIC not accepting Anatomy class from Harper College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y

Yuliya

Hi,
I keep hearing that people re-take Anatomy class at UIC in order to get admitted (applicants for UIC Pharmacy school are not being accepted, possibly because of Anatomy prerequisite taken at Harper College).
Has anyone heard anything about that too?
I am applying for the next year, and registered for Anatomy at Harper for this summer...
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard that before. Have you checked out UIC's webpage that has a search function to find out exactly which courses you need to take to fulfill the prerequisites? Here's a link - you can select another school, etc. by using the drop-down menu in the upper lefthand corner of the window.

http://128.248.232.63/pharmacy/prePharmacyGuide/prePharmacyGuide_display.asp?schoolID=70

I don't see why they would not accept Harper's anatomy. I took A & P at Oakton (2 course sequence) - and I've been admitted for Fall 2007. We do take a class (I think, according to the rubric) that is like A & P but it's part of the curriculum. Hope that helps.

I haven't heard that before. Have you checked out UIC's webpage that has a search function to find out exactly which courses you need to take to fulfill the prerequisites? Here's a link - you can select another school, etc. by using the drop-down menu in the upper lefthand corner of the window.

http://128.248.232.63/pharmacy/prePharmacyGuide/prePharmacyGuide_display.asp?schoolID=70

I don't see why they would not accept Harper's anatomy. I took A & P at Oakton (2 course sequence) - and I've been admitted for Fall 2007. We do take a class (I think, according to the rubric) that is like A & P but it's part of the curriculum. Hope that helps.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It must be so exciting! I wonder what was your GPA, PCAT score and other criteria... What was the most challenging?
I wish I had a contact to ask questions about submitting papers and admittance, who had gone through this!

Well, the thing is that I contacted Paula Fleming directly and through harper. She advised that I ONLY need to take anatomy! not physiology. and she even gave me the course number (BTW, I saw that page that you gave the link to as well). But people say that they are not being admitted because of the Anatomy from Harper, and that they have to retake the course at UIC. I don't know personally any of them, but I heard from at least 4 people who know people... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
they better accept harpers anatomy. I got accepted with harper's anotomy coarse. Perhaps it is a phys/anatomy coarse that they are refering to, but i don't even know for sure if harper offers one of those. you're OK ,dont worry.:)

If the class is listed on UIC's website as meeting the requirement - then it is fine.
I haven't heard anything about what you're referring to.

I was accepted taking a one semester class - but it was listed on their website.

If the class is listed on UIC's website as meeting the requirement - then it is fine.
I haven't heard anything about what you're referring to.

I was accepted taking a one semester class - but it was listed on their website.

Did you take it from Harper? or a different college?

If Ms. Fleming told you what course to take, then you are okay. She and Dr. Woodward make those kinds of decisions.
The Anatomy/Physiology class at UIC is a combined 2 semester class offered through the Department of Movement Sciences. It conflicts with your courses.
UIC only requires Anatomy; however, they highly recommend physiology.

The Anatomy/Physiology class at UIC is a combined 2 semester class offered through the Department of Movement Sciences. It conflicts with your courses.
UIC only requires Anatomy; however, they highly recommend physiology.[/QUOTE]

yes, but the thing is that (by these rumors) these people are being turned down because of the Anatomy from Harper. That's why they enroll for Anatomy at UIC and then re-apply the following year for the pharmacy program again.
As I understand you are a current student at UIC, right? How much chemistry is involved? organic chemistry?
Do you recommend taking Physiology, as well as Anatomy,even though it was not on the list of prerequsites? And Ms.Fleming said that they only want Anatomy from Harper...

UIC is biased against community college students. That is just the way it is. They accept maybe 3 traditional community college students per year. 60-70% of the incoming class has a bachelors, and most of the remaining balance went to 4 year schools. There are two recommended courses, Physiology and Organic Chemistry Lab 2. Almost everyone takes physiology during undergraduate. If you don't take it, you'll be behind. At UIC and many other schools, you have to take both courses.
There is a moderate amount of chemistry, but it is not that hard.
A magic year for you might be Fall 2009. What so special about that year, you might ask. Well, the Rockford extension will open that year, and that means 50 more seats.

Did you take it from Harper? or a different college?

Anatomy was the one class I was missing. I work at Abbott so I took anatomy and physiology at CLC (college of lake county) in Grayslake....

Didn't UIC decide to only accept students with a bachelors?

No they dont decide to take only bachelors my boyfriend got in for fall 2007 from a community college and is graduating next month with associate of Science in Pre-pharmacy