UIC Out of State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how to obtain Illinois state residency and in-state tuition. Do you just apply to vote in IL and obtain a IL driver's license? For the driver's license, do you just show them your out-of-state license or do you have to take a written test or a behind the wheel test? What else do you have to do to get in-state tuition? I heard you also have to make a certain amout of money to obtain this lower tuition. Is that true and what's the details on it?

Members don't see this ad.

According to out-of-staters I know, it is very hard to obtain in-state residency. You need an Illinois state i.d., driver's license, state i.d., etc, live in Illinois a year without any outside financial help, pay Illinois state tax, and this is the kicker, make half, in one year's time, of all your expenses. Look at the UIC catalog, if you want to see the official residency requirements from UIC.

sna said:
I For the driver's license, do you just show them your out-of-state license or do you have to take a written test or a behind the wheel test?

You need your current license, a recent bill showing your address and I think another form of id. Then you have to take the written test, no driving test required.

Members don't see this ad :)
genesis09 said:
According to out-of-staters I know, it is very hard to obtain in-state residency. You need an Illinois state i.d., driver's license, state i.d., etc, live in Illinois a year without any outside financial help, pay Illinois state tax, and this is the kicker, make half, in one year's time, of all your expenses. Look at the UIC catalog, if you want to see the official residency requirements from UIC.

So within the academic year of 2006-2007, I need to make close to 15k in IL, then apply for the in-state tuition in fall 2007. How do they know how much my expenses are and how much I make...bring in my latest paycheck with the gross pay??

sna said:
So within the academic year of 2006-2007, I need to make close to 15k in IL, then apply for the in-state tuition in fall 2007. How do they know how much my expenses are and how much I make...bring in my latest paycheck with the gross pay??
I don't know how they actually do it. If you are interested, contact them.
Also, one cannot be living in student housing during this one year period.

oops...I already sign up for on-campus housing... :(