UIC-Peoria vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966008

+

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
UIC has a much better reputation than SLU, along with more robust research opportunities. I think it would be worth the premium price to go to UIC over SLU.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to do a competitive specialty, you want to have best research and connections for the match. If you are set on neurosurgery, UIC is by far a better option.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do a competitive specialty, you want to have best research and connections for the match. If you are set on neurosurgery, UIC is by far a better option.

Do you think this holds true even though I won't be at the main campus? Also can you elaborate on why UIC is better?

Do you think this holds true even though I won't be at the main campus? Also can you elaborate on why UIC is better?

Neurosurgery is a small field; everyone knows everyone. So you really have to get the best pedigree for medical school that you can for the match. I would argue it's one of the most important aspects of your application. This is all assuming you still want to do neurosurgery at the end of four years of med school :laugh:

So here's what I'm wondering, looking at the NS matches...

UIC-Peoria
2019: Cleveland Clinic
2016: West Virginia
2015: U of Kansas

SLU
2019: Emory
2019: SLU
2018: Ohio State

Obviously SLU is 3x the class size but these matches favor Saint Louis

UIC has the stronger list. Cleveland Clinic>>Ohio State>Kansas>Emory>West Virginia>>SLU

UIC-Peoria
Pros
+ strong neuro research
+ solid match list
+ slightly higher rank

Cons
- satellite campus
- not excited about Peoria
- have lived in Illinois my whole life

SLU
Pros
+ bigger city (more diverse patients, more fun, etc...)
+ close to WashU, could do research there
+ flagship campus - potentially more resources
+ building a new hospital that will be ready for M3-M4

Cons
- in house research not as good as UIC
- slightly lower rank

Any advice would be appreciated! Cost difference between the two schools is negligible, and essentially I'm leaning towards SLU unless UIC presents far better career opportunities (I want to match Neurosurgery)
Rank is only important to pre-meds and med school Deans.
If you were my kid, I'd send you to SLU, if only for the barbecue alone.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of 2 people who went to SLU, both matched into their top choice in Ortho and ENT respectively

Go to the place that's a better fit. The number of students who matched into neurosurg isn't a large sample size, so I wouldn't weigh your prospects on that. You should take a look at the types of surgical residencies students go into, and I'm assuming they are of similar caliber. If you would prefer more of a city life, St. Louis would be a better option; there might be more to do there than Peoria.

Go to the place that's a better fit. The number of students who matched into neurosurg isn't a large sample size, so I wouldn't weigh your prospects on that. You should take a look at the types of surgical residencies students go into, and I'm assuming they are of similar caliber. If you would prefer more of a city life, St. Louis would be a better option; there might be more to do there than Peoria.

Thanks for your input! I agree with your logic here. A glaring issue hindering my ability to decide is that I haven’t actually been able to visit Peoria yet since these were both May acceptances. I will be doing that very soon and I think that will make my decision clear.

Congratulations!! Can you share why? I'm in a similar position. Did visiting uic peoria campus change your mind?

Stronger research particularly in neuroscience, better reputation, small class size, about 70k cheaper, and seemed better for matching into surgical sub specialties. Students also seemed very happy which alleviated a concern of mine going in.

As for my visit, I was pretty impressed. The actual campus is small but sufficient, and it’s right next to the hospitals which are amazing. Also we have 24/7 access to Jump Sim which is nice

I guess that’s a long winded way of saying UIC had more of the resources I was looking for to reach my goals. There isn’t a wrong choice though, and some people might be better off at SLU given the same options

Edit: also another big thing - idk what your financial situation is but SLU’s aid package only gave me enough to cover the months where there would be class. Wherever I ended up it was important for me to be there all year rather than for 10 months

Last edited by a moderator: