UIC pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ossari

BigPhish
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at UIC coming up and need some help deciding whether I should go. I have gotten acceptances to quite a few schools I like I wanna know what others that have interviewed there think of the school. From what I have gathered, it's the largest med school in the nation, tradition and great area, great rotations and residency matches. I've heard negative things as well such as the student body being very competitive with each other, out-of-state tuition is crazy! and the faculty are not as aproachable. Also that you don't get much guidance through the clinicals in 1st and 2nd years. My friend who attends there also tells me that they are changing the curriculum to veer off the traditional 2year sci. and 2 year clinical and that they still have a few bugs to work out.
I appreciate any input you guys can offer, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

everything is relative. what are the other schools you've been accepted to?

i infer you are out-of-state. it's quite likely that it would be ridiculous for you to not go to your own state school or prestigious private school rather than pay oos tuition for ui-c.

I've gotten acceptances at UMDNJ and a 3 more out of states. I'm from florida and got accepted to FSU and am gonna interview at USF. both are nice in their own way I just wanted to see if I should see what UIC is all about for myself, and yes that tuition is quite a deterrent

Members don't see this ad :)
weighing quality and cost, i *seriously* doubt you'll find ui-c a better choice than the florida state schools.

Thanks, I take it by your name you are in detroit?

Well, personally, although I'm sure you'll notice a bias, I think UIC is a great school. As far as it being the largest in the country, they like to brag about that but it's hardly relevant. That's if you combine all 4 of our campuses, but since I've never met anyone from a satellite campus, and they don't even all approach the curriculum in the same manner, it's hardly the case. Although at 204 students in Chicago we're nothing to shake a stick at...

Really, the student body is not that competitive. Most of us are in it to help one another, and yeah some people hope for low averages since achieving "honors" requires you to be a certain level above the average, but outside of that I've seen little competitiveness, at least so far. Faculty is very very approachable if you want to talk to them, but you will have to seek them out, they won't come find you, and you have to work around their schedules sometimes. Most of the profs will always make time for you though, and so will the people in the administrative offices.

As far as clinical guidance in the first two years, UIC makes sure you get some clinical experience, quite a bit your second year actually (and some required in your first), and since it's a course requirement it's hard to "miss". The curriculum changes so far have not been that dramatic. They are trying to move slightly away from the traditional, but it'll be a while before they implement any huge changes. Right now they're just integrating things in a more logical and student-friendly manner. They're trying to focus on a more "systems based" approach to the basic science classes.

That being said, UIC doesn't offer anything groundbreaking that would justify the out-of-state tuition. That number is just way too high. Even our in-state tuition is very high. Our resources here aren't bad, but they aren't quite as good as they are at some other schools, but the education is a good one and overall very solid. Like you said, great clinical rotations to be had. Depending on your other offers are from, and willingness or desire to relocate to Chicago, UIC I imagine should probably be a pretty hard sell when you have to pay OOS tuition.

I really couldn't tell you whether or not you should go to the interview. The interview is very laid back and chill, a good time, but being in-state I had a strong desire to go to UIC so I'm coming from a different perspective...

great advise Ombatay, thanks.