UIC Rural Med Program

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jmccade, Sep 25, 2002.

1. jmccade

jmccade Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is anyone doing this program? If so can you tell me what you think of it?

Is the program hard to get into? Would applying to the program make you a better applicant to UIC if everything else is equal? Would applying to the program make you a better applicant for those doctor shortage area service scholarships?

2. NUgoofygirl

NUgoofygirl Junior Member

I have a friend in the program and she loves it. She was able to get some sort of scholarship which requires her to work in an underserved area of IL for four years after school (which is what she wants to do anyway) and they pay for her full tution, books, and a stipend. She is an M2 and got the scholarship just before she started M1, she was told initially by the school that most people get one their second year, but not everyone does for their first year, so she was lucky. They gave her a list of available scholarships to look into after she was accepted. I knew quite a few people that applied for it for this year and did get accepted but chose to go to other schools for some reason or another. I've heard it is easier to get into as long as you have a genuine interest in rural med. You have to be from an underserved area of IL in order to get an interview and the interveiw is a big panel thing.